NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2019, 02:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Looking for Some Help Identifying Two Cabinets

These two cabinets came from a group of cabinets of professional players from 1887-91. The first is a St Paul cabinet of a player who looks like Scrappy Carroll. The jersey appears to say St Paul and the photographer T M Swem is from St Paul. What confuses me is that the jersey and hat appear to match the St Paul 1889 uniform, but the pants and sox match the 1888 uniform. Any thoughts?
The second cabinet is a player with white "S C" on a dark jersey. Since the photographer is from Sioux City, Iowa I am left to conclude that this is a Sioux City player. However, I can't find a picture of any player with this style jersey. The Sioux City players in the Old Judge set had the team name written out on a white jersey. The player looks familiar, but I can't identify him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82802B36-A9FB-4B9C-AC8E-1C5471CDD16D.jpg (7.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 53EA36FE-A738-4FED-A0C6-8A0753DD2FDF.jpg (9.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Rob

It's not Genins is it? When I looked up the Sioux City 1888 roster on baseball reference it's the name that I recognized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg genins.jpg (3.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Scrappy Carroll

Jay,

Scrappy it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scrappy Carroll.jpg (35.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Scrappy Carroll back.jpg (40.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Scrappy Carroll back detail.jpg (42.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM
R0b Sm!th

Great cabinets. So glad that You were able to confirm your suspicions on the identity of the one.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 07-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Looks a little like him, but tough to tell. I sent an image to the author of a book about the history of baseball in NW Iowa so maybe we'll get a clue from her. The jersey is not familiar to me which is part of the problem. I have also attached a better scan of the St Paul photographer cabinet. The jersey looks like it does not in fact say St Paul. The last letter does not look like an "L".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7CA24B5-F63B-4C6C-A37D-B4C39F71F78B.jpg (7.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dave--I missed your post before I put in my improved image. Thanks for responding. Any idea what the team name on the jersey is? Carroll played for St Paul but the last letter showing does not look like an "L".

Addendum: I checked the Carroll cabinet again with a loope and the "L" in St Paul is mostly, but not completely, covered by a fold of the jersey. All is well again.

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-26-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I also sent an image of the Sioux City cabinet to the HOF research library. Unfortunately, as the response below shows, they could not identify the uniform:

Thank you for contacting the Baseball Hall of Fame.

"You definitely have found something very neat and interesting. After several searches I was also unable to track down any photos that matched that uniform from Sioux City from that time period. So I do not have an exact date. As you may already know, minor league or amateur league baseball information is very tough track down especially in that time period because not everything was kept track of. My assumption is that the team may have been the Sioux City Cornhuskers a minor league team in the Western League from 1888 to 1891. However I do not have enough information to say that is 100 percent true.

Here is what I recommend. It may help, it may not. I would contact the Sioux City Historical Society or Public Library. They should have some information on the Sioux City Cornhuskers. They might be able to lead you down the right path.

Best of luck in your search,"