NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Why I don't ship to Canada

I don't normally ship to Canada, and I explained in advance to the customer, all the things that I expected to go wrong. So far, this really isn't all that bad. The part that I find irritating about it all is that he seems to hold me responsible for his item not arriving in 7-10 calendar days from the time of purchase. I really wish I had some say at the U.S. post offices, Canadian post offices, and Customs. Oddly, I don't.

"Hello Scott
Just to let you know that as of today's (Dec 4) mail I still have not received the item I purchased way back on November 19 according to the PayPal transaction receipt.

I checked the USPS web site today and the last entry is dated Nov. 30 saying that customs clearance was complete.

Just to let you know I typically receive items from the US, whom I buy from on a regular basis, in 7 to 10 calendar days after I purchase the item.

I wish I had known it would take this long to reach me, I could have paid more for a quicker delivery. Heck I often send copies of my books (8.5 x 11, 415 pages) to the US by courier and they get there in 2 days for only $22 or $23 or so ..."
Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 AM
pete ullman

damn canadians!!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Dave

When he says "I wish I had known", he's really implying "YOU should have known".

Canada has always been one of the slowest places to get stuff to for me.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 AM
S Gross

Some people just like to complain. Your probably dealing with someone who complained that their McCafe didn't have enough hazelnut this morning.

I've sent to Canada many times without issue.

Punch Line: .........oh, what team does she play for ??
Old 12-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Belltown Vintage

There are several Canadian forum members who I ship to without hesitation (actually, any who have ever asked). The key thing is that we don't hold one another responsible for things outside of our control.

In the future, shipping to Canada will be insured, trackable, quickest method USPS offers, at full cost. No other options, and no whining if it's a baseball item, because everyone knows.....

Last edited by Runscott; 12-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I shipped a photo to a woman in England who complained about the British import fee she was charged. I told her I was a lifelong American citizen and had zero influence on the laws of her country.

Happily, she agreed and said she was just blowing off steam.

Last edited by drcy; 12-04-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Jeff C.

Default Oh behalf of "us"

I have a shipping address in both countries and my good & bad experiences have been the same regardless of where I ship from/to.

As for this guy... he probably didn't realize you were celebrating Thanksgiving/Black Friday and that items traditionally take a little longer.

Canada Post generally advises during the Xmas Holidays that they expect a slower delivery service so he should have taken it into consideration.

Jeff

trdcrdkid; michael peich; baseball*collectibles; hardspun8; iowadoc77; deafsports; rdixon1208; r0ck8ott0m; comiskey; lukelyon; t206collector; jcc; mybuddyinc; lharri3600; majordandy; brass_rat; obcbobd; cozumeleno; milkit1; joem36; jlehma13; thromdog; sean1125; zachs; jasonc; jollyroger; dougscats; vintageismygame; jmanos; t206blogcom; bn2cardz; btcarfagno; ionlysmoke4thecards; gradedcardman; mantleman + I think I’m forgetting a few people.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Tom

Did you ever stop to consider that Canada does not have Saturday mail delivery? We have it which is why we get things quicker here then they get theirs there. Also, did you consider the harsh weather Canada gets? I was up in Montreal one winter and boy! Did I experience cold! They get a ton of snow which only slows things down considerably. Also consider the holiday rush right now.. As long as the package gets there safely, that should be the ONLY concern.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Andy Sargent

Default Canadian

Ahhg! Please don't put us all in one basket. Here is a heads up for any of my fellow Canadians out there who are unaware of shipping times

IT CAN TAKE UP TO FOUR WEEKS FOR A STANDARD PACKAGE TO ARRIVE. ANYTHING SOONER IS A BONUS!!

Once this is understood, everything will go smoothly. If not, our 'merican counterparts will keep declining shipping to Canada.......and I don't blame them.........and i will miss out on many cards I want/need !!!!!!!

Cheers

Andy
Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My saying is "Some people like to complain."
Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantleman View Post
Ahhg! Please don't put us all in one basket. Here is a heads up for any of my fellow Canadians out there who are unaware of shipping times

IT CAN TAKE UP TO FOUR WEEKS FOR A STANDARD PACKAGE TO ARRIVE. ANYTHING SOONER IS A BONUS!!

Once this is understood, everything will go smoothly. If not, our 'merican counterparts will keep declining shipping to Canada.......and I don't blame them.........and i will miss out on many cards I want/need !!!!!!!

Cheers

Andy
Haha. Don't worry - no one is lumping you all in one basket.
None of you are going to believe me, but my last note to him was the following.
The thing he doesn't get is that no one wants hassles. We want to be able to have fixed shipping prices, have simple clear communication, print labels at home, and not get bitched at. We can do all of that with the U.S., but little of it with Canada. My response to him essentially means - 'no more Canadian shipping'. But I did that nicely, didn't I?

"My apologies. I really appreciate your feedback. As a result, I have disconnected the Canadian shipping option on my website. In the future, if a Canadian wants to buy an item, I will give them the shipping options in advance and they can pay full cost for whichever one they choose.

The book cleared customs the afternoon of November 30, so I would expect you to receive it any day now."

His response: "Yes, I am aware that the book has cleared customs but that exact same message was there on Dec 1 which means nothing has changed since that time."

If I am reading this correctly, he is now holding me responsible for the speed of the Canadian postal service. That would be....more bitching.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Cain J.

Go to the Canadian post office website and type in the tracking. It should pull up the info since it arrived in Canada.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks for that information. If nothing else, it should provide solace for my customer, as I added him to Canada Post's email notification for the package.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen.."What's this got to do with me?" Don't even know why this guy is busting them. He can clearly see the package passed thru customs. It's his fault not yours, if he doesn't want stuff held up by the canadian mounted postmen then move to the U.S.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Cain J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks for that information. If nothing else, it should provide solace for my customer, as I added him to Canada Post's email notification for the package.
No problem Scott. I've been there as well and try not to ship to Canada very often due to these issues.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen.."What's this got to do with me?" Don't even know why this guy is busting them. He can clearly see the package passed thru customs. It's his fault not yours, if he doesn't want stuff held up by the canadian mounted postmen then move to the U.S.
He re-iterated in a recent email that he gets stuff 7 calendar days from the moment he pays. He also mentioned 'courier' again Still, this is nothing compared to the Canadian who bought a hat from me, opened a case while it was in customs, then bought another hat from me after the case was closed. No apologies, no communication. It ended up being good, as I sold two hats.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Canada Post

I was under the impression that items from the U.S. to Canada (where I am) no longer have the option of tracking, they push you to use Purolator, which Canada Post just happens to own. I have had literally hundreds of purchases items from the U.S. make it to me just fine, never anything lost. I simply decided not to sweat it for at least 2 weeks after I have been told an item was shipped, and don't get overly concerned even at the 3 week mark. Once the seller says it is shipped, I have to have some blind faith, and it is now in the hands of USPS/Canada Post/Customs. Canada Post is very reliable, you can COUNT on them to be slow. It's even harder on some of us who live in fairly remote locations, as I do. I have had mail sent from Vancouver to Powell River, a five hour drive including the two ferries, and it took 6 days to get here. I think we have all been spoiled by email speed, but last time I checked you can't send a package that way.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Grant, thanks for that post. It's so logical that there has to be a flaw in it
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Dave

Quote:

The book cleared customs the afternoon of November 30, so I would expect you to receive it any day now."

His response: "Yes, I am aware that the book has cleared customs but that exact same message was there on Dec 1 which means nothing has changed since that time."

If I am reading this correctly, he is now holding me responsible for the speed of the Canadian postal service. That would be....more bitching.

Good God, it's only December 4th. It can take days from clearing customs just to get moved on to the next sorting facility.

These people exist in all countries including the U.S., I suppose. I once got a vociferous complaint why a package I shipped out was scanned in Springfield, MA, when the package was supposed to be headed South.

Well, that's where all my Priority Mail seems to get routed to along the way, but for some reason this guy thought I was trying to pull a fast one on him, for whatever reason.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
He re-iterated in a recent email that he gets stuff 7 calendar days from the moment he pays. He also mentioned 'courier' again Still, this is nothing compared to the Canadian who bought a hat from me, opened a case while it was in customs, then bought another hat from me after the case was closed. No apologies, no communication. It ended up being good, as I sold two hats.
He must be confused because Canadian Thanksgiving is in October if I'm not mistaken, here in the U.S., where things matter, Thanksgiving is celebrated appropriately on the fourth Thursday of November. This holiday tends to slow up the mail process.

Are you sure your buyer isn't Adrian?

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-04-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Logic?

Scott, logic is not one of the very few qualities that I am known for.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
He must be confused because Canadian Thanksgiving is in October if I'm not mistaken, here in the U.S., where things matter, Thanksgiving is celebrated appropriately on the fourth Thursday of November. This holiday tends to slow up the mail process.

Are you sure your buyer isn't Adrian?
He wished me 'Happy Thanksgiving' in the first email complaint, so he had to be aware.

On a more positive note, I just learned that if you have a supply of customs forms (you have to order from the USPS or pick up at the post office), then you can actually purchase postage to Canada online and just attach the customs form, and the postman will pick up the package. His biggest complaint was that I didn't choose a shipping option that would get the item to him in 7-10 calendar days, so the only thing remaining is to make it clear to customers that for low-value items you are shipping first class and that it will take 3-4 weeks (to be safe).

Last edited by Runscott; 12-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:05 PM
pariah1107

I once lived at PO Box PML, Chignik, Alaska 995** for three years. At the time, very few in the lower 48 believed me, and I may have had a half dozen offers rescinded because of my Port Moller Location address. It is hard to send outside, and sometimes even within the US.

I am sorry this person has not shown more patience, but that comes with the territory, literally. I would not be hesitant to remind this person of where he is and how long it may take to even pass the most rudimentary of customs.

I used to send photos of the 1924 Port Moller Herring Chokers for encouragement...

Last edited by pariah1107; 12-04-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:11 PM
tony

I live in Canada, (10 miles from the US of A) and I often buy from this board, I always calculate 14-38 days for delivery. I am from England where you post something at 4 o'clock on a Monday and it is there by 0600 hrs the next day so I get very frustrated with the post office here too
Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
damn canadians!!
Complainers, all of them!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Dan Bretta

I have decided that I am done shipping internationally on ebay...won't even use their stupid Global Shipping Program anymore. I sent an item to Mexico (rare boy scouts patch)...the buyer after two weeks opened a case against me...tracking showed the item was in customs. Ebay sided with the buyer and automatically deducted the money from my paypal. A few weeks pass and I decide to check on the status of the patch...it was delivered. I contact ebay and they tell me to pound sand, but I am free to try and invoice the buyer through paypal. I contact the buyer, he says he's out of town for the next month, but will check on it when he gets home.

As far as the GSP goes, I have had so many international buyers back out of transactions now because the fees that ebay is charging are ridiculous that it's not even worth using the program. They are even charging customs fees on items that don't even apply to customs fees in whatever country an item is going to. I'm starting to wonder if ebay is deliberately trying to kill their own company.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

International shipping can be a mystery.

I'd been told - now several years ago- that for many countries the mail time depended on the envelope making the flight. Not all flights did mail, and many only carried mail once a week or even less often for odd places.

So things would usually take some time. I was buying stuff from the UK, and it was usually a week, maybe a bit longer.

Then one time I ordered, right about this time of year. Figured on two weeks since the mails were full. The next day the postman knocks. ???? I'm not expecting anything. It's the package from the UK! Not sent express or anything, made it next day. He didn't believe me until I pointed out the date on the post office label.

I had a package going to the UK take only 3 days, a big surprise as well.

On the other side, there's customs and culture.

One of the bike guys was in Holland. Every shipment he sent anyone got a month or longer delay in US customs. Apparently they really inspected the Holland shipments for drugs.

Another one was buying a bike from a guy in Italy. Deal done, paid, and I wait......Nothing. After about 6 months I see him selling a pair of special wheels for the same sort of bike through a guy in NJ who would handle stuff for him. Basically buying a crate full of stuff and the seller would include a bunch of other stuff for him to ship so there would be less shipping time. So I was a bit worried figuring he'd forgotten and parted the thing out. Asked and the response was "don't worry, that's a spare pair of wheels for the bike. He's shipping it soon, they just don't have the same sort of hurry to business we have" Week later it shows up. Packed really well, and with a couple bonus parts for the delay (Not expensive but useful)

I wonder how international Ebay deals with that? I'm led to understand it's a fairly common thing in Europe for things to be a bit relaxed.

Steve B
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

With eBay so willing to side with the customer on all things, I do not understand why anyone would risk shipping to any country other than their own. Just my 2¢...I stopped shipping outside of the US many years ago.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default ?

I have come up with a whole bunch of "herring choker" jokes, but out of respect to my fellow board members, I will refrain from posting them.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 AM
Seth

Quote:
I don't normally ship to Canada, and I explained in advance to the customer, all the things that I expected to go wrong. So far, this really isn't all that bad. The part that I find irritating about it all is that he seems to hold me responsible for his item not arriving in 7-10 calendar days from the time of purchase. I really wish I had some say at the U.S. post offices, Canadian post offices, and Customs. Oddly, I don't.

"Hello Scott
Just to let you know that as of today's (Dec 4) mail I still have not received the item I purchased way back on November 19 according to the PayPal transaction receipt.

I checked the USPS web site today and the last entry is dated Nov. 30 saying that customs clearance was complete.

Just to let you know I typically receive items from the US, whom I buy from on a regular basis, in 7 to 10 calendar days after I purchase the item.

I wish I had known it would take this long to reach me, I could have paid more for a quicker delivery. Heck I often send copies of my books (8.5 x 11, 415 pages) to the US by courier and they get there in 2 days for only $22 or $23 or so ..."
I moved to Canada this summer, and things indeed take forever. I've been too afraid to ship baseball cards up here yet (as many of you who have traded or sold cards to me know).

By the way, grammar police: terrible use of "whom" by this guy. Has the United States been selling him cards regularly?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Do they have Christmas in Canada?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:40 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Yes, but the holiday greeting cards arrive in February.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Yes, but the holiday greeting cards arrive in February.
Unless they are sent by Halloween

Jeff
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
International shipping can be a mystery.

I'd been told - now several years ago- that for many countries the mail time depended on the envelope making the flight. Not all flights did mail, and many only carried mail once a week or even less often for odd places.

So things would usually take some time. I was buying stuff from the UK, and it was usually a week, maybe a bit longer.

Then one time I ordered, right about this time of year. Figured on two weeks since the mails were full. The next day the postman knocks. ???? I'm not expecting anything. It's the package from the UK! Not sent express or anything, made it next day. He didn't believe me until I pointed out the date on the post office label.

I had a package going to the UK take only 3 days, a big surprise as well.

On the other side, there's customs and culture.

One of the bike guys was in Holland. Every shipment he sent anyone got a month or longer delay in US customs. Apparently they really inspected the Holland shipments for drugs.

Another one was buying a bike from a guy in Italy. Deal done, paid, and I wait......Nothing. After about 6 months I see him selling a pair of special wheels for the same sort of bike through a guy in NJ who would handle stuff for him. Basically buying a crate full of stuff and the seller would include a bunch of other stuff for him to ship so there would be less shipping time. So I was a bit worried figuring he'd forgotten and parted the thing out. Asked and the response was "don't worry, that's a spare pair of wheels for the bike. He's shipping it soon, they just don't have the same sort of hurry to business we have" Week later it shows up. Packed really well, and with a couple bonus parts for the delay (Not expensive but useful)

I wonder how international Ebay deals with that? I'm led to understand it's a fairly common thing in Europe for things to be a bit relaxed.

Steve B

If you think bike parts get looked at close from Holland, bring back a suitcase full of bags of coffee.

My favorite coffee is the Albert Heijn store brand pods. They fit my Senseo coffee maker. So whenever I go over I bring a whole suitcase full back because it is way cheaper than ordering them online.

Only had customs search me once but when the guy seen a whole bag of bags of coffee he thought he hit the drug smuggling mule of the year. After a hour of closely inspecting every bag and having my stuff scattered out over the entire table he was highly disappointed. Probably would have took a lot less time if I wasn't calling him, his Mom, sister, and everybody that knew him really nasty names. PS they really hate being only called Barny Fife and not their name.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

He just emailed that he received the item, and he didn't complain about anything else. Customs the afternoon of November 30, arrives the morning of December 5. Seems pretty good for this time of year.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:

"Hello Scott

Scott,

Ok, so you were dealing with an idiot who happens to be Canadian. But just remember this: Not all Canadians are idiots and not all idiots are Canadian.

Cheers,

Rob (not a Canadian idiot)

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 12-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:07 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I have decided that I am done shipping internationally on ebay...won't even use their stupid Global Shipping Program anymore. I sent an item to Mexico (rare boy scouts patch)...the buyer after two weeks opened a case against me...tracking showed the item was in customs. Ebay sided with the buyer and automatically deducted the money from my paypal.
I'm confused as to how this could have happened. Your responsibility ended at the point in time that the GSP location (in Kentucky, I think) received the item. Or was this NOT using the GSP?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I sent an item to a member here (mlbtraderumorsn) in Canada the beginning of November and according to him, it still hasn't arrived....Not sure what's going on up north....
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I'm confused as to how this could have happened. Your responsibility ended at the point in time that the GSP location (in Kentucky, I think) received the item. Or was this NOT using the GSP?
I did not use the GSP for this item.