NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default Fritsch Grading....Accurate?

Posted By: James Feagin

I just got the Oct. 7th edition of SCD and Larry Fritsch has many caramel cards in a "one of a kind" sale. I might be interested in a few of them. HOWEVER, I have noticed that old school dealers tend to over-grade their cards a bit. Is that true with Mr. Fritsch? Is he good to deal with?

James

Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I used to deal with Larry alot 10 years ago or so. Never had any problems with them. I was quite happy with the grading, and nothing purchased back then, ever ended up being rejected at any grading service for being trimmed or tampered with.

I did receive one Zee Nut that arrived, and it had some writing on the back, with a ball point pen. This was never disclosed in the add, or during the sale. It was an inexpensive card, so I never took it any further. Though I must admit it, it did irritate me at the time.
The card has since been sold.
All in all, my experiences were quite positive.

Mike Campbell
White Bear lake, Minnesota

Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

and I'm sure you'll find several posts about Mr. Fritsch's grading. I believe it's the board's consensus that he overgrades significantly, but has a liberal return policy.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

And it was rediculous grading.....chunks missing and the cards were described as "about vg".......The first times I bought from him I returned about 50% or more of what I bought (and I hate returns). The last time I only returned about 1 out of 10. They won't send scans but do give very easy returns.....and their next catalogue won't be out for 2-3 months. The one that just got sent was their old one. They got double shipped so decided to re-ship the old ones out again......"old" being a few months old.....regards

Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike campbell

Well, as my message said, I did business with him "10" years ago. There was a reason I stopped. I hesitated to bad mouth anyone in here.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Actually, his stuff is a tad over graded for old-school as well. Just keep that in mind. Also remember that old-school isn't necessarily overgraded. The stuff we graded back then was graded properly for the time. The time is now different. If a card looked EX it was EX, now if a card looks EX and there is a tiny wrinkle that you can only see magnified 100 times, then the card is now vg. You current grading people all need your heads examined! This was a hobby, now it is strictly investment.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I just bought an e93 graded by Fritsch as ex. It was graded a 30 by SGC.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

green with mold around the edges. Don't know if the grading people take mold into account--same as paper residue?

Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

The prices listed in SCD were simply too good to pass up, even if the grades were off by one or even two. I will get them on Friday and provide a report of some sort.

My purchase was highly influenced by the concept of returning a disappointing card.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Gee the way you've been sniping me lately on ebay on E95s I didn't think you needed anymore!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The accuracy of Fritsch grading is about the equivalent of the accuracy needed to drop an atomic bomb and hit your target.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

The key to buying cards from them is to buy only cards graded EX or EXMT (stay away from "about EX" they have major issues) and determine if what you are paying is ok for a vgex card. Anything below EX is going to be a crap shoot.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I actually sniped TBOB out of 4 E95's over the past week. I was unaware until you pointed that out. Well, those were my first 4 E95's. There are only 25 in the set, so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer...

Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Their return policy is very liberal but I got so sick of being disappointed with the cards then having to go to the time and trouble of sending them all back.