NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Michael Sokolow

Default Challenge the Yankees: Reborn

I'm excited to provide you with an update on Challenge the Yankees, the official Yankees board game since 1964.

On Wednesday, our Indiegogo campaign went live! To get your copy of this classic, thrilling game, just click here to visit our page: http://igg.me/at/cty. There are still plenty of copies left at a 20% discount, but you'll want to act soon to reserve yours!

Thank you for your support!

All the best,

Michael Sokolow
Partner, Challenge the Yankees
support@challengetheyankees.co
http://igg.me/at/cty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTY 600 8.27.jpg (19.6 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle.jpg (13.9 KB, 425 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:50 AM
Chris

Is there any designation on the cards or pieces that it is a re-release? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Howie Schenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Is there any designation on the cards or pieces that it is a re-release? Thanks.
Chris, I heard back from Michael and he indicated that the new cards would be exactly the same! That would serve to destroy the very collectors market they have cited in their marketing material! I have urged him to reconsider and put a reprint mark on the backs.

Howard Schenker
Old 10-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
Chris, I heard back from Michael and he indicated that the new cards would be exactly the same! That would serve to destroy the very collectors market they have cited in their marketing material! I have urged him to reconsider and put a reprint mark on the backs.

Howard Schenker
Yes, that would seem it could cause some problems for previous collectors of the issue, such that, maybe it isn't a bad question to ask others too? For that reason, this thread was moved from the appropriate section (thanks Original Poster for that), to the front page. Happy collecting....

Last edited by Leon; 10-08-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Randy Trierweiler

I supplied the photos for the McCarver and Groat cards for these folks. I didn't think to ask if they would mark them reprints. I assumed they would.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Chris

Thanks Howard. That was my concern when I saw it. And, thanks for putting this on the main forum Leon so more people can be aware to look out for these on the market. It's a cool idea but hopefully something that will include the current year or "reprint" on it somewhere.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Howard Schenker
To quote Happy Quinn from the TV show crew Scorpion, "Not Good."

---Brian Powell
Old 10-08-2017, 04:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Presumably the card stock or gloss would be completely different? But yes, for people looking at pictures on eBay, could be a concern.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Insufficient to mark only the cards as repros -- the box, charts, &c' need to have some distinguishing feature as well.
Collectors have paid good money for any components of the original game.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Maybe they could use a different retro typeface for all the materials?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Wouldn't have to involve anything radical or any expensive redesign -- just something like "2018 repro edition" in small print
somewhere unobtrusive on the cards, charts, and box... like Larry Fritsch Cards marks "reprint" on all their repro sets...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 10-08-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:08 AM
Howie Schenker

I just received, and greatly appreciate, this response from Michael Sokolow. It alleviates some concerns about the reprinted cards but don't think game collectors will be too happy:

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your thoughts.

We're looking into this matter. However, I hope you'll consider some factors that should limit the effects of our relaunch on the collector's market.

If you currently own a copy of Challenge the Yankees or its cards, you can of course be confident that it is an original. If it's already certified by PSA, you'll also easily be able to sell it to other collectors. So those who have purchased PSA-graded cards should not be affected at all.

To be sure, more people may be interested in buying new copies of the game, which are selling for a fraction of the original copies. However, Roger Franklin spent years developing the game for kids to enjoy. Collectors are more than welcome to sell CTY for hundreds of dollars, but our greatest concern is to make this available to regular folks who enjoy our game.

Nonetheless, consider that we're also helping existing owners of CTY cards and games by spending thousands of dollars to bring attention to Challenge the Yankees. Many Yankees fans and players of games like APBA and Strat-o-matic had never heard of CTY, but are now intrigued by it. So as a trader, you may find that there will be more demand for original cards and full games, which in turn means higher profits for you.

Furthermore, experienced authenticators should still be able to differentiate between the original cards and the relaunched edition. The two editions appear identical, but the cards' weight and material are not exactly identical. Manufacturing practices have changed over time, so those traits are never going to be duplicated on a mass scale across 50 years. The ink colors may even be noticeably different to the trained eye, though I'm not sure of that. That being said, we're hesitant to make the differences between the editions obvious to the average Joe. That's not to trick collectors, but rather for quality and legal reasons. That is, we're promising our fans an exact reproduction of the 1964 game, and there are legal limitations on our ability to amend the original game while still using licensed material (including player likenesses and team logos).

Thanks again for reaching out, Howard. Please know that we're considering your concerns and will do all that we can to avoid damaging the collector's market.

Best regards,

Michael Sokolow
Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I just received, and greatly appreciate, this response from Michael Sokolow. It alleviates some concerns about the reprinted cards but don't think game collectors will be too happy:

Hi Howard,

We're looking into this matter. However, I hope you'll consider some factors that should limit the effects of our relaunch on the collector's market.

If you currently own a copy of Challenge the Yankees or its cards, you can of course be confident that it is an original. If it's already certified by PSA, you'll also easily be able to sell it to other collectors. So those who have purchased PSA-graded cards should not be affected at all.

To be sure, more people may be interested in buying new copies of the game, which are selling for a fraction of the original copies. However, Roger Franklin spent years developing the game for kids to enjoy. Collectors are more than welcome to sell CTY for hundreds of dollars, but our greatest concern is to make this available to regular folks who enjoy our game.

Nonetheless, consider that we're also helping existing owners of CTY cards and games by spending thousands of dollars to bring attention to Challenge the Yankees. Many Yankees fans and players of games like APBA and Strat-o-matic had never heard of CTY, but are now intrigued by it. So as a trader, you may find that there will be more demand for original cards and full games, which in turn means higher profits for you.

Furthermore, experienced authenticators should still be able to differentiate between the original cards and the relaunched edition. The two editions appear identical, but the cards' weight and material are not exactly identical. Manufacturing practices have changed over time, so those traits are never going to be duplicated on a mass scale across 50 years. The ink colors may even be noticeably different to the trained eye, though I'm not sure of that. That being said, we're hesitant to make the differences between the editions obvious to the average Joe. That's not to trick collectors, but rather for quality and legal reasons. That is, we're promising our fans an exact reproduction of the 1964 game, and there are legal limitations on our ability to amend the original game while still using licensed material (including player likenesses and team logos).

Thanks again for reaching out, Howard. Please know that we're considering your concerns and will do all that we can to avoid damaging the collector's market.

Best regards,

Michael Sokolow
At least the collectors of the originals should be able to tell the difference. That is a good thing.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Chris

I hope they reconsider.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 10-14-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Howie Schenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I hope they reconsider.
Me too. I've tried my best to convince them to make changes. Hopefully, they have heard from other collectors.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Color me incredulous

Quote:

Hi Howard,

Best regards,

Michael Sokolow
This makes no sense to me at all.

Reproducing the game with "Reprint" on everything will have no impact on production cost.

I can't help but see a nefarious intention here?

If you "remanufacture" the game sans any disclaimer? You're sure to sell more copies.

Thanx for having my back in allowing me to have a copy regardless of how it affects the game collectors. [sarcasm]
Old 10-21-2017, 01:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, that letter is worthless. "We have heard your concerns and summarily dismiss them. Enjoy buying these reprints on eBay."
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
I just received, and greatly appreciate, this response from Michael Sokolow.

Hi Howard,

. . . . . there are legal limitations on our ability to amend the original game while still using licensed material (including player likenesses and team logos). . . . . .

Best regards,

Michael Sokolow
Just exactly what are the legal limitations? Surely they wouldn't prevent you from using a different, but of-the-period typeface, in place of the original.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Judging by the CTY website, it appears that the fundraising initiative has failed. I read on another forum that one of the contributors has received a refund.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Rich Klein

A note on APBA -- in checking the list of where the "12" is each year, it appeared to me that the 12 was changed any time a reprint set was issued.

For example, the 1964 set covering the 1963 season had the "12" on 43 in the original and 52 in the reprint set. That is more than sufficient for any APBA fan to figure out original v reprint.

Yes, there should be some way to differentiate reprints from the original. I remember in 1983 we as a hobby were not happy at Topps despite the fact the cards were different sizes and on different stocks. It was still a "reprint". That seems so quaint in retrospect.

Rich