NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Is this seller the same as battlefield?

I've seen a few posts on here and also know from personal experience that battlefield's cards on ebay are usually too good to be true, and trimmed or altered.

I'm not familiar with this seller, but the description seems like it's worded almost the same. Any thoughts? Nice card if it's authentic and unaltered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-ROBERTO...16305816&rt=nc
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Don't know who battlefield is but....

He doesn't mention topps in the description and it is worded as if it an authentic "1955 Roberto Clemente RC #164 NRMINT-MINT". I dunno. Helluva card it it's legit. Type of card that some mail order dealer from the 50's put together and then put it in a safe and then forgot the combination and then died and his grandson hired an expert safe cracker to open the safe but the safe cracker stole the cards and has now put them for sale on the Bay.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

These images don't look overexposed to me, and the card has multiple scans from a lot of angles. I would not think it's battlefield for those reasons. Looks like a great card. I am not one that can detect trimming on photographs, but the card looks uniformly cut on all sides as well.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Don't know who battlefield is but....
Battlefield is an eBay seller that sells cards that appear to be high grade, but when you get them in hand, they look much worse.

Brent 1ng r@m
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Robert Williams

Thumbs down

That looks like the SGC "Authentic" one I sold for $1,000 around 5 months ago.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-07-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Robert Williams

That has always been my fear about selling those types of cards. The winning bidder easily cracks it out and sells it for triple (or quite possibly more) money. I suggest the winning bidder send it in under the EXPRESS service so they can possibly get their money back just in case.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Could be the pictures, but to me the registration looks a little better on the eBay card than your example.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I don't think it's your card Bobby, because it has a smudge in the team name. I wouldn't be surprised to see yours sell for 2 to 3 times for what yours sold for, in a raw state or BVG slab.

But I do know this:

I can't remember seeing a whiter piece of 60 year old card board. But his 1956 Mantle comes close, it's raw too!

The seller has $10 cards slabbed for sale, but didn't consider submitting a card that could sell for thousands of dollars.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yea that 56 Mantle looks a little too good to be true as well. The reason I thought of battlefield, other than the cards looking too good to still be raw is the description seems to be worded the exact same way.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Battlefield had a complete t205 raw set a few nights ago that sold for strong prices. I left some low end bids and got blown out. Wonder how the cards look in person.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 PM
jason w.

Lots of experience with Battlefield and nothing positive to say. One of these days, I'll do a longer post on that.

Anyway, yes, the wording in the description is either a straight copy/paste from battlefield or it is simply a second/third account from the same seller. And, yes, the Clemente and the Mantle are too good to be true.

Full disclosure: I put two low end bids on these cards -- primarily just to watch the action on them.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels56 View Post
Lots of experience with Battlefield and nothing positive to say. One of these days, I'll do a longer post on that.

Anyway, yes, the wording in the description is either a straight copy/paste from battlefield or it is simply a second/third account from the same seller. And, yes, the Clemente and the Mantle are too good to be true.

Full disclosure: I put two low end bids on these cards -- primarily just to watch the action on them.
Here is an old thread from 2011, from back when you joined about Battlefield:http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137777
Just a freindly reminder, in case you forgot to see the top of the page/site.
If you give a opinion, you need to list your name.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Battlefield had a complete t205 raw set a few nights ago that sold for strong prices. I left some low end bids and got blown out. Wonder how the cards look in person.
I won the Bresnahan. When I saw the seller it didn't bother me because the Bresnahan had chopped corners, so I knew the card was poor and scan manipulation wasn't going to change that. Either way it is just a duplicate AB Bresnahan for my t205 American Beauty Collection.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 AM
Lonnie Nagel

He mentions previously in KSA holder = Bad mistake = Run Away Fast

30 day return means you would have to move really fast on getting to PSA or SGC

Learned my lesson many times on buying high end cards that are either not graded and/or not graded by PSA or SGC.

In any case $2K plus way out of line - someone's going to be eventually butthurt for sure

I'll bet $50 that the card is trimmed, trimmed, trimmed - any takers?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:16 AM
jason w.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Here is an old thread from 2011, from back when you joined about Battlefield:http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137777
Just a freindly reminder, in case you forgot to see the top of the page/site.
If you give a opinion, you need to list your name.
My bad. Profile updated.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Battlefield or not, there are too many red flags. Why wasn't the card submitted to PSA for grading and an opportunity for top dollar in selling the card? The seller is leaving a lot of money on the table by not having the card graded. I laughed when I saw the shipping was " economy ". For a card that is nearly $3k, send it overnight instead of letting the card sit around in a postoffice for days on end. That " generous " 30 day return will evaporate quickly and there will be no time to submit the card for grading AND return to the seller if the card doesn't grade well. As others have said, it looks too good to be true.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 05-12-2015 at 06:23 AM. Reason: poor spelling