NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Value of 1919 Black Sox World Series Items

A friend of a friend is trying to get information on the value of some 1919 Black Sox world series items. It's way beyond my expertise, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any input. The first two are breakfast and lunch menus relating to the world series, apparently sponsored by an organization called the Woodland Bards. The third is an interesting looking Sox v. Reds sock-shaped felt, also from Woodland Bards. The final item is a pair of ticket stubs from games 1 and 2 of the series. Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919a.jpg (75.6 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 1919b.jpg (74.4 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 1919c.jpg (67.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg 1919d.jpg (75.4 KB, 323 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Dan Bretta

Wow! Great stuff...I've only seen the ticket stubs before. Ticket stubs usually sell in the range of $1,000 to $2,000. The other items? Who knows, but I'd bet they'd do really well in an auction setting where all the Black Sox collectors could get a shot at them.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Wow! Great stuff...I've only seen the ticket stubs before. Ticket stubs usually sell in the range of $1,000 to $2,000. The other items? Who knows, but I'd bet they'd do really well in an auction setting where all the Black Sox collectors could get a shot at them.
I agree with Dan that these Black Sox items are really unique and his comment about them doing well in a large auction setting. I have not seen any of the items other than the tickets either.

The ticket to game one is in somewhat rough condition (the pitch that announced that the "fix" was in), but they are both scarce. If your friend was to sell them, IMHO I would recommend that the tickets be kept together in one lot (to appeal to the people that collect tickets) and place the other remaining items in a separate, but equally important lot. Very cool items!!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-24-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The Felt Sock-shaped Emblem is really unique. How big is this item (tough to tell from the pics?)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Thank you all very much. He will be thrilled. I don't know the size of the felt sock but will try to find out.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Awesome!.. Got dibs on the first ticket.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Scott

Wonderful items. As with the others. I have never seen any of those, other than the tickets. Anything from the series is good.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
John Hanssen

Nice items I had spent a little Google time, and finding out more about the Woodland Bards, Game tickets sells, ect. Your find has some really nice things that could do really well in a good auction. Thanks for the look hope it helps.

WHAT'S IN A NICKNAME?

Phil Erwin looked up the origin of Charles Comiskey's nickname, "The Old Roman." According to Tom Shea, author of The Old Roman in 1946, in Baseball Nicknames by James K. Skipper (McFarland, 1992), TOR refers to Commy's "classic profile, patrician manner, mane of white hair, etc." and was first used by journalist Hugh Keough. So -- not because he ruled like a Caesar!

Menu action results
http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/1203.html

Game 1 WS ticket auction result
http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...sp?itemid=2778
and
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1209.html

Game 2 WS ticket asking price
http://www.1919blacksox.com/memorabilia2.htm

fun reading about Joes luck
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...669D946896D6CF
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Default 1919 White Sox Items

Great items. The tickets have a pretty determinable value as others previously said and there are plenty of auction results out there of 1919 World Series ticket stubs.

The other items I have never seen before. I once had a similar menu from for the Woodland Bards. I believe this was a Chicago based white sox fan club. They had a hunting lodge up in Wisconsin that they used. The menu I had had a picture of all of them up in Wisconsin on what appeared to be a hunting trip with Comiskey holding a shotgun. I think I sold it for like $250. I also had a photograph of the inside of the lodge that came with the menu. My guess is that the three bard items you have woud sell for $1,000 to $1,500 for the group. The item that is the most desirable is the dinner menu since it has a team picture. That piece alone is probably worth $500 to $1,000.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Johnny S

This stuff is great !! I love the menu's, they could be refered to as 'The last supper'