NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Matt

Default First MLB Card To Depict An African-American Player?

Which baseball card has the distinction of being the first mainstream MLB card to depict a black player? Is it both the Leaf Paige and Robinson rookies from the "48" set? Or are the Jackie bread cards given this distinction. Thx.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-28-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'd say the D305 Jackie Robinson. The D302 set appears to have been released over a few years. See here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169

And "1948" Leaf is known to be a 1949 issue. Not that 1948 would have cut it anyway. D302, at least with the rounded corners, is from 1947. Is it mainstream? I'd say so.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Matt

Will check that out, thx!

I'd put "48" in quotes because of it really being 49.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Pardon my slight ignorance as I am not a card collector, but isn't Moses "Fleetwood" Walker depicted on one of those tobacco card sized cards from the teens that are real photos of teams? I am not sure, but I thought one was used in an article I read on him many years ago.

I just checked his info and saw that he played in the 1880's so he could not have been on one of those cards. It was probably a University of Michigan photo or a Toledo American Association photo that depicts him.

Last edited by Michael B; 01-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Would Jimmy Claxtons zeenut count as mainstream?

I have to go back to my research, but there are 4 D302s that we can likely attribute to 1947.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Matt

I'd suppose each collector's definition of mainstream may differ. My own initial inquiry was in reference to a card that is part of a nationally distributed, complete, MLB set-- one that included the MLB players of that year, and was available in traditional packs for kids. For example, the "48" Leaf set.

Others may feel nationally distributed bakery cards are sufficiently mainstream. I'm curious to know the answer for each definition of mainstream though. It's all interesting to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I'd suppose each collector's definition of mainstream may differ. My own initial inquiry was in reference to a card that is part of a nationally distributed, complete, MLB set-- one that included the MLB players of that year, and was available in traditional packs for kids. For example, the "48" Leaf set.

Others may feel nationally distributed bakery cards are sufficiently mainstream. I'm curious to know the answer for each definition of mainstream though. It's all interesting to me.
I agree with your definition. But I don't believe the Leaf card was released before the Bowman card in 1949.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Although not the question posed by the OP, the first black athlete to appear on a card was race walker (Pedestrian) Frank Hart in the 1880 Between the Acts set. This is a truly rare and significant card. The last black athlete to play Major League Baseball, prior to Jackie Robinson, was Moses Fleetwood Walker. His image is available in a Syracuse Stars cabinet and a few team photographs, all of which are very scarce.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There aren't a whole lot of 19th century and early 20th century cards for collectors of athletes of African origins. Boxing probably offers the most. Afro-Canadian George Godfrey appeared in N174:

Also appearing was Afro-Australian Peter Jackson, who also had several cards in the Newsboy series. Godfrey and Jackson were joined by Afro-Caribbean Barbados Joe Walcott and Afro-Canadian George Dixon in the N310 Mayo issue. N266 Red Cross has Godfrey, Jackson and Dixon. N332 S.F. Hess has Godfrey and Jackson. N269 Red Cross has African-American boxer Harry Woodson. I suppose Woodson would be the first African-American boxer with a card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Michael

I just wanted to contribute a scan of the rare Frank Hart card that was mentioned earlier.