NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default I'm Done with Net54

It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.
I understand how important Barry is and has been to many collectors. I’ve read so much of what he’s had to share since joining Net54 about five years ago. Losing his knowledge and dedication to the forum is heart breaking. With all that said, I agree with this post.
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)
Sorry, I disagree. But best wishes to Mr. Sloate, whatever he decides.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks for the heads up. David will be #1 on my ignored user list.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Mike Biggans

Quote:
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Kyle May

Quote:

Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.
This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.
Come on. Can we PLEASE leave this kind of stuff out of the main forum???
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1

Bobby- please don't make any more statements like that. IF you can't see it has political overtones all over it then you are blind. Let this be an informal warning. Let's get back to cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Let's make this as political as the forum gets...

Brian (not mine...owning them would be too political for me)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n154-duke-presidential-base-ball-club-card-collection.jpg (73.1 KB, 433 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
+1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CfTGl9bUEAAKmoQ.jpg (18.5 KB, 437 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
+1
From the guy who tried to ask me if PSA graded airline tickets.....smdh.
Closed Thread