NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 AM
scott altland

Default collecting patterns when retired

I was wondering...for those who are soon retiring or are currently...did your collecting patterns change?As somebody who dabbles in the hobby there is a part of me who is hesitant to indulge knowing that retirement is 5-6 years away.Even though my wife and I have prepared well its still a fixed income and in this day and age with healthcare etc every $$ counts.Thoughts?
Scott

Last edited by goudey1933; 05-24-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:03 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I have been paring down my collection since I retired, and have been using the results to continue collecting!

In addition, I STILL frequent Garage Sales, Estate Sales, Flea Markets, etc. for bargains that I can then re-sell - NOT limited to just Baseball cards.

You might be amazed at how cheaply people sell things for when they are in a hurry to move or unwilling or simply too lazy to sell them through a venue like ebay...

My 2 cents...
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I have been paring down my collection since I retired, and have been using the results to continue collecting!

In addition, I STILL frequent Garage Sales, Estate Sales, Flea Markets, etc. for bargains that I can then re-sell - NOT limited to just Baseball cards.

You might be amazed at how cheaply people sell things for when they are in a hurry to move or unwilling or simply too lazy to sell them through a venue like ebay...

My 2 cents...
It’s always been a dream of mine (and probably everyone in this hobby) to come across a lucrative find of vintage sports memorabilia in a garage sale. I have had no such luck. Have you discovered anything of value, financial, sentimental, or otherwise? If so, talk about a dream come true!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
It’s always been a dream of mine (and probably everyone in this hobby) to come across a lucrative find of vintage sports memorabilia in a garage sale. I have had no such luck. Have you discovered anything of value, financial, sentimental, or otherwise? If so, talk about a dream come true!
Maybe NOT as lucrative as you think, but when I can turn a $10 bill into a $20 bill OR a 20 bill into a $50 bill simply by having a "Good Eye" and be willing to put in the little effort that is required to sell something on eBay - I am willing to do that!

That gets me a T205 or T206 card for my collection!

As far as luck, my Dad has had more than me - see scans!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full Front.jpg (85.9 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Label.jpg (73.8 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Decal 1.jpg (73.4 KB, 329 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 AM
John

Since my retirement, I found my interests have shifted somewhat. There’s more time now for other hobbies and projects. My collecting focus has narrowed and I’ve even thinned out my collection a bit. Still, I’m visiting this site, eBay and auctions each day!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Craig L.

Quote:

Jason

Not trying to hijack this thread and not retired, 12 years to go. On garage sale finds, I have a great story of my favorite find. At a GS I noticed some late 70s police cards of the Iowa Oaks, Iowa baseball is my main focus. I asked the elderly gentleman if he has any other baseball items. His answer is a quick yes. He invites me in taking me to his basement. He has tub after tub of minor league memorabilia from the I-Oaks & Cubs. Come to find out this man was a stadium usher from 69-85. After a few hours chatting about both out local baseball passion I ask what he wanted for all of it. The guy says this all belonged in my collection and all he wanted was $100, dinner out with his wife and I and to see my collection of local baseball pre 69. I told him it was all worth much more than he was asking and tried to offer $1000. He declined. We had a great time at dinner and hours going piece by piece through my collection. He had multiple bats and jerseys, complete seasons worth of scorecards, lots of miscellaneous items. The miscellaneous items are fantastic and include keys and keychains for different areas of original Sec Taylor Stadium, a 70s usherette uniform for the Oaks, a ball found wedged in the chain link fence, original to stadium, behind the 70s wood outfield wall that was discovered when stadium was torn down and so very much more. We stayed in touch until his passing a few years later. He was great and I treasure the items I received.

End hijacking
Craig
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 05-26-2018, 02:39 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I am an auto racing card collector, and I have shared this story several times in the "Vintage Racing" thread that pops up every now and again on this board. The card I have posted below is arguably the holy grail of American auto racing cards -- "Lorenzen with car" from the 1972 STP racing set. PSA has only graded two examples of the card. it may not be a Cobb T206 with a Cobb back, but it is probably the most valuable auto racing card in the hobby.

Fred Lorenzen has two cards in the 1972 STP set, and both are rare. But the "with car" version is so rare that several racing collectors had only ever seen one copy in 20+ years of collecting. As a result, I could not believe it when I saw the card show up raw on eBay two years ago. The seller had no idea what he had -- until multiple messages started coming in asking him to end the auction early. The seller was a picker who had bought a lot of old NASCAR clocks and photos of 1980s drivers Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, Tim Richmond, etc. The guy bought the lot for $40 at an estate sale and hoped to double his money.

A single "Lorenzen with car" card and 12 examples of Fred Lorenzen's portrait card from the set were also included in the bottom of the box. Unable to find any information about the cards online, the picker who bought the lot thought about just throwing away the cards before deciding to put them on eBay to see if there was any interest at all in them.

That $40 estate sale purchase was worth over $4,000. I wasn't the lucky buyer at the estate sale, but I was able to pick up two cards I was almost certain I would never own. It is crazy how close the cards came to simply being thrown out as worthless garbage because the the guy who originally bought them did not know what he had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Lorenzen with car front10022016.jpg (75.9 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-26-2018 at 02:47 AM.