NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: runscott

Hey, if we can argue about Barry Bonds being 'likeable' or not, can't we talk about the Twins and White Sox meeting at the end of the year to battle it out for the last AL playoff spot? Or the Houston Astros about to make one of their patented 'come out of nowhere' runs to take the final NL playoff spot?

I'm just in the mood because....WAY before I moved to Seattle I bought tickets to the last two games of the season in Atlanta, vs my Astros. I'm feeling BASEBALL PLAYOFF MANIA!!!!!! (and I sorts miss Jay's and Lee's (and Bob's) fantasizing about the Twinkies making the playoffs)

Old 09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: steve f

"...can't we talk about the Twins and White Sox meeting at the end of the year to battle it out for the last AL playoff spot?"

Since the Boston Dirt Dogs are in the worst slump in many years. Could you please not discuss modern until next season?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: barrysloate

I have two words on the topic: subway series.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Joann

Geez Barry - I don't know. Isn't Detroit an awfully long way from NYC to try to build a subway by October?

Joann

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: barrysloate

Detroit's looked a little lost the past month, but so did the White Sox at the end of 2005, so you never know. But every time I turn on a Mets game, they seem to be up 5-0 in the third inning, give or take. I never thought I would say this, but I think the Mets are the best team in baseball right now. Come October, all bets are off.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Scott "10 minute mile" Gross

Heck yeah it BASEBALL season. As a NJ native* now in GA (love the weather) I'm overrun with football down here. Doubt a baseball game will be on in any given bar today.

No problem, heading up to Augusta Mon. or Tues. to catch SAL championship.

Go Fightin' Phils, got nothing against San Diego, but the Pacific Coast League playoffs are happening now !! !!

Go Sox (either Red or White), got nothing against Minn., but they did dismantle the American Assoc. a few years back !! !!

*(((Go Rutgers)))

Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Joann

Sad to say, but the Tigers won't get past the Yankees. Experience counts for a lot in post-season.

Joann

Old 09-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Cobby33

How bout my Giants? Kings of the NL! Watch me tonight on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball celebrating the Giants' sweep of the Padres!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: jay behrens

If Liriano is back at full health the Twins will be almost impossible to beat. The team is perfectly set up for the playoffs. 2 dominant starters, dominant closer and a decent offense.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Jay - have to disagree about the Twins. Going to be terribly hard setting that rotation for the Playoffs when they are going to need Santana and Liriano down the stretch, whether the take the wild card or catch the Tigers (or neither). Yankees on the other hand - what better team to take the AL - peaking at the right time, Matsui returning, and with a 10 game (11 in the loss column) lead - great time to set that rotation.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Josh Adams

The Sox are a better team than the Twinkies. However, the Twins are playing much better ball than the sox right now.
Hopefully the sox can turn it around starting with this West Coast swing.
Lariano and Santana are great picthers though.
It's going to be an exciting 3 weeks.
Pass the malox.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Sean

Can I get an AMEN for my brothers in Minnesota!

Twins - 2006

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: runscott

The Yankees are about to officially replace the Braves as "America's Play-off Futility Team" ... only because the Braves won't be in the play-offs.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Chad

Go A's!

--Chad

Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Cy

Did you notice that (Sam) Crawford is up there leading the American League in triples. He's following up is (19)05 season when he had 10 triples!

Cy

Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Bill K

Another Twinkie's fan in the hizzy! I was there as a 14 year old at the first World Series parade (Tom Brunanski's car ran over my foot) and watched Kirby snag that long ball off the plexi-glass in game 7 in 1991 as an inibriated Freshman at UW Madison (maybe that was game six, again with the inibriation).

This year I agree that with Liriano in the line-up they have a legitimate shot to go. The Yankee's can coast in and keep their pitchers fresh which IMO gives them the inside edge right now. Detroit is too young, and they are going to have to work their starters as hard as the Twins just to make it in. The Sox are jeckle and hyde and are seriously hurting in the bullpen right now.

Some may call the Mets the best team in baseball right now, but when you're playing against other semi-pro and college teams who are all fighing to stay at .500 it can inflate your self worth.

Agree or disagree with the concept of the wild-card, at least it keeps baseball more interesting for the entire season. Now that the NFL & college football has started MLB can take its appropriate back seat in my house.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 09-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Jerry

Astros fan here too, but you can stick a fork in them this year. Their just to inconsistant offensively and to many 220 hitters. Lane, Ensberg, Ausmus, can't hit their hatsize.
I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.
They couldn't beat the Mets if they did make it.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Chad, the A's fan....

Joseph Blanton graduated high school in this small Kentucky town in which I live. Less than 200 kids graduated. Saw him pitch in high school.

Yell your lungs out if you go to see him pitch.

Frank.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Todd Schultz

If the Twins win more than half of their games this week, they should be in very good shape. Otherwise, hold your breath, it's down to the wire for the wild card, and forget catching the Tigers.

<<as an inibriated Freshman at UW Madison>>

Bill, inibriated is implied--why/how else would you be found in Badgerland?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: Anonymous

Jerry! I can't believe I'm reading this - if the Astros get to the playoffs, they have a great chance of beating the Mets. I'll take this year's Astros pitching staff in the playoffs, but as you observed, the hitting has to come around just to get them there.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default modern baseball

Posted By: walkscott

I had to dig this thread up again, given the possible '64-Phillies-like implosion of the St. Louis Cardinals

Is it possible?