NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Question about stamps

Not sure if I"m in the right section or not, but I have a question about stamps. In particular, I believe the year is 1961. On my last trip to the LCS, I picked up 4 stamps. They're all common players and have a $2 BV apiece. I paid $6 for the group of 4.

The thing is they're still attached in groups of 2 in the original panel. Does that make them more valuable than if they're just pulled apart?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Does them being in the original panel of 2 instead of cut individually make them more valuable? If so how much? Like 2-3x or more or less? Or the same value as the individual stamp? I have never dealt in these stamps and just thought they were cool when I saw them on my last visit to the LCS.

Thanks a bunch for the help.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This question can pertain to pre war stamps too so it crosses eras. I don't know about values but personally I usually like things preserved in their natural state, so I would want them uncut.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Common Panels are worth roughly 2-3x's what each single would be, thus are more desirable. Not rare or even scarce but collected by many in that form.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

As always, it depends. I got a 1969 Mantle panel with Rodgers for much less ($110 including shipping) than a Mantle single in lower grade (PSA8 went for $511, then resold two months later for $170) just because it's not part of the Mantle PSA Set Registry.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/31198003/

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...uction/1587867

Demand for the same item can be higher or lower depending on a number of factors.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Mike Reid

For what it’s worth: I prefer the panels.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I actually like the look of a single stamp as opposed to the 2-stamp panels. I would not, however, split the panel to have two separate stamps. I'm just not a fan of cards with more than one player on them. There are exceptions of course, like two player OJs or KBats or action shots.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Al Richter

I built that set in singles with a few panel examples. In my experience full panels were in general more expensive and harder to find. The SCD Standard Catalog 2013 edition listed a mint set of singles at $900 Mint and Mint panels at $3000. The prices in the Catalog were never very accurate for insert and test issues ( or anything else), but that differential is consistent with my experience collecting them

But as John points out grading and the registry can create differences. I collected the set in ungraded form
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Howard Chasser

Default What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I built that set in singles with a few panel examples. In my experience full panels were in general more expensive and harder to find. The SCD Standard Catalog 2013 edition listed a mint set of singles at $900 Mint and Mint panels at $3000. The prices in the Catalog were never very accurate for insert and test issues ( or anything else), but that differential is consistent with my experience collecting them

But as John points out grading and the registry can create differences. I collected the set in ungraded form
(about pricing - I have some odd panels and singles, but didn't collect the set)!

Last edited by hcv123; 07-07-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
As always, it depends. I got a 1969 Mantle panel with Rodgers for much less ($110 including shipping) than a Mantle single in lower grade (PSA8 went for $511, then resold two months later for $170) just because it's not part of the Mantle PSA Set Registry.

Demand for the same item can be higher or lower depending on a number of factors.
I can see the argument for 61-62, but that's a two stamp panel for 69'. What would be the point of not further separating it? I think I would lean towards singles there as anything less than a full panel or strip is just a piece of the whole. I have seen people who like those in 4 stamp blocks because it is card sized for display. full strips and panels seems much more difficult because of the awkward size.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, I didn't submit the panel myself. I think that the reason it's not in the Master Set is because it was arbitrary as to how it was submitted. They do have the full panel (12 stamps) as a set item.
One of the more interesting things about the question is: do you separate a damaged item that is clean on one stamp or keep them together since that's how it was naturally?
Like a Bazooka panel (intended to be cut into cards) that has a pinhole through the middle of the three cards. Some collectors would prefer the panel, others would prefer the higher grade cards separated individually so they didn't have to see an eyesore or get a Poor 1 for the entire panel if submitted whole.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

It's surprising to me that they stabbed and graded an arbitrary panel like that to begin. I have a feeling it was from a master set collector hoping to get it added as a new entry for the master. When they were turned down they likely moved it.

My personal way is collecting the 61's signed. I bought a signed Davenport years ago and just liked the way it looked. Now I pick them up when I see one at a fair price. I have an Aaron I picked up over ten years ago that was signed before his sig went rough that is really cool. If I can locate it in the boxes I'll try to add.

In that niche I totally like them separate, but if I ever find a signed pair you can bet I'll try for it.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.