NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: edacra

I love me some Mini-bats, but like my recent post asking about Wire Photos, I'm wondering if there's a good resource for collecting these things.

Has anyone compiled a checklist of mini bats issued out there?
Are there any considered particularly scarce?
Were any issued before 1939?

I'm finding that the more I buy these, the harder it is to date them properly. The pantina seems to vary, and with popular players like Dimaggio, there were at least 3-4 different period issues that I've seen, and probably more.

Anyway I know there are some other Mini Bat collectors out there so I thought it would be fun to start a thread about them.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: Dan Bretta

You should try asking over at the Vintage Memorabilia Board. I know that there is at least one Mini-bat collector over there (Mike H). My brother picked up a Mantle mini bat for me tonight at an auction....I don't really go out of my way to obtain them, but I have a few in my collection.

Here's a link to the vintage board:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5>

Old 08-31-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Thanks for the link to the forum, I didn't know about that one.

I'm still holding out that we have some folks here that know a thing or two about them.

Congrats on the Mantle.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

being here in Louisville, KY......

The undisputed heavyweight champion in minibats is Byron McCorkle at batsbyron@aol.com. I would estimate he has 4-5000 of them.

I had probably 500-600 but have whittled that down over the years as they take up MUCH more space than cards. There's really nothing out there on them though. Louisville Slugger began producing them in the early to mid 1920's with the 14" models and went to the 16" brown/gold models in the 1930's through 1950's, then the blond ash ones. Tons of different labels on the H&B / Louisville Slugger oval brands can help date them within a few years. Also if you collect or look at the Famous Slugger Magazines from Louisville Slugger you can see what 12-20 bats they made each year from 1921 or so through 1979. That can help you determine the ones they made for national distribution. They made them for all kinds of people also though for teams and for individual players to give out. So....there are tons but tough to really nail info down.

The Spalding mini's are pretty nice too.......

Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: Jeremy

I think the mini L.S. decal bats are great. Did anyone see the Wagner decal bat on Ebay? I think it went unsold. Besides Joe Jackson, Collins, Cobb, & Wagner are there others in the "set"? Thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Wow, thanks Tom. Just your post alone is probably the most information I've come across on them, pretty much anywhere.

I'm wondering, have you kept a checklist of your collection? I'd think even sharing that might be a huge help. I've noticed some bats from common players can fetch big bucks even compared to some name players, which made me think there must something to it.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

At one time, I had a good listing of both my collection and the ones that I'd seen sell one place or the other. I also did some research on the years specific bats were sold--at least through the famous sluggers magazine. Sadly, it was all on an old laptop that died a cruel death and I didn't have it back up.

As for the LS Decal bats, they came in 14", 18" (TOUGH To FIND), 22" and then 29" to 35". The full size were the most desirable because they were the hardest to find in really nice shape since they were full-sized and more likely to be used. I had a nice 18" Tris Speaker that was the only 18" I'd ever seen. Jackson, Cobb(2-3 different decal types), Baker, Speaker, Collins, Davis, Daubert, Lajoie come to mind immediately.......

As for the 'common' player phenomenon, there's 2-3 people collecting the bats and the 'common' players are the ones they need the most since there were likely less of them made than the DiMaggios, etc. I still collect the 14"ers and have Ruth, Wagner, Simmons, Cuyler, Maranville and about 15 other HOFers from the late 1920's to early 1930's. Also have some really neat minibats that are tough to find an a salesman's sample 22" Heinie Manush bat.

Like I said.....Byron McCorkle would be a good source to cozy up to........if you want more detailed info.......

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Mini Bats

Posted By: Jeremy

I've never seen or heard of the 18" or 22" decal bats. I'm assuming they must be quite rare indeed.