NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Lee Smith & Harold Baines??

I don't tend to be a HOF snob. But I heard about the announcement for Baines and Smith and said "Wait, What?" There was never a time when I thought, Harold Baines defined his generation. I think that about Garvey. I think that about Mattingly - but never about Baines . I liked him, but he is the definition of the hall of pretty/very good. He didn't have huge counting stats either

Smith actually has a better argument if you are a fan of relievers in the HOF. At least he was the all-time saves leader at one point. I am not a fan of relievers in the hall. This isn't a popular position with most, but I think that most relievers would have preferred to be the 4th or 5th starter in the rotation but they didn't have the 3rd pitch or the stamina. But I digress... (and yes, I know that Rivera will get in and people will say that he did his job better than any other player did theirs... but I don't like it and we can agree to disagree)

Super surprised about this - and kinda bummed at the watering down of the hall.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Pete Sycks

Baines never got above 6.1% of the HOF vote and was off the ballot in 4 years. It's now the hall of "he's ok"

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 12-09-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Glyn Parson

Sorry missed where it says great in the name. Honestly the place is a museum to tell the games history. I have no problem with a guy with 2866 career hits getting in or a player who was considered at one time to be the games best closer. But then again I believe in a large hall and have no problem with relief pitchers. Good for both gentlemen and I hope they can enjoy the honor with out receiving too much hate from the peanut gallery.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

you really don't think "hall of fame" implies "great"?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:05 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Someone that averages .289, 22hr, 93 rbi's as a right fielder/dh and played in a single world series is not a hall of famer in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Someone that averages .289, 22hr, 93 rbi's as a right fielder/dh and played in a single world series is not a hall of famer in my opinion.
+1 Tony
Old 12-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Lee Smith is long over due- he was in the generation that redefined the position and he ended his careers with the all time lead in the main thing that he did - name another star where the all time leader had to wait years for induction. Furthermore for as much as everyone wants to denigrate the save, there is a reason that most pitchers may have a good year or two but burn out hundreds of saves short of 478- it hard and the leash is short

Harold Baines should go down as one of the worst- Chick Hafey bad- if he’s in then Andres Galarage and Edgar Martinez have to fly in, then we have to make room for all of the guys who would have been able to play until they are 40 because of the dh -

Joe Adcock
Gil Hodges
Buzz Arlett
Ted Kluziski (sp)
Roy Seivers
Greg luzinski (sp)
Vic Wetz
Mickey Vernon
Hank Sauer
Hank Bauer
Dolf Camilli
Al Rosen
Gavy Cravath
Wally Moses
About 100 guys that I can’t think of right now

Last edited by Jason19th; 12-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The REAL travesty is George Steinbrenner receiving 4 votes or less. If anyone of the eligible were to be elected, it should have been Steinbrenner. That man was a HoF'r all the way.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Baines played for a long time - thanks to the DH rule. He led the league in one offensive category, once in his career (1984, slugging percentage). He received MVP votes in only 4 seasons, never finishing higher than 9th! All star in 6 seasons, out of 22.

Even as a Hall of "Fame", he certainly wasn't famous or thought of as being that great during his career. I grew up in Chicago in the 70's and 80's; I don't recall too many magazines with his photo on the cover (other than 2 Baseball Digests).

The Hall is certainly being watered down.

I won't even get into Smith, except to point out that his 1,286 innings pitched will be the 5th fewest. Two of the guys with fewer IPs are Satchel and the Babe. The other 2 are Hoffman and Sutter. (Rivera had 1,283 IPs and was head and shoulders better than those 3 other relievers.)

Last edited by Koufax32fan; 12-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good grief. BAINES??????????????????????????????????

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hey, Guys - I think I may have a chance next time.

Please vote for me...I only got to College level...but, what the hell, while the doors left open.

But seriously, no one who has already been through the BWAA without getting in should get in before Minnie Minoso and Luis Tiant!

The hall of fame now has lower-case letters.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Banned

suddenly johnny sain doesn’t seem as ridiculous of a suggestion
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Baines does not hold a candle to Albert Belle or Dick Allen or even Dale Murphy.

Smith in but no Tiant or Tommy John?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Fred

Getting closer to the Hall of Lame...

I'd have taken Joe Carter or Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle over Baines.

At least Carter a had 10x100RBI years in 16 seasons and Joey had 9x100RBI years in 12 seasons.

Baines and Carter had similar lifetime SA (both more than 30 points below .500). Joey had a respectable lifetime SA of .564, pretty good.

In any case it's done so congratulations to Baines (and Smith).

Could you imagine if Vegas took odds on selections. Baines would have been a long shot (IMO).
Old 12-09-2018, 10:21 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Sorry missed where it says great in the name. Honestly the place is a museum to tell the games history. I have no problem with a guy with 2866 career hits getting in or a player who was considered at one time to be the games best closer. But then again I believe in a large hall and have no problem with relief pitchers. Good for both gentlemen and I hope they can enjoy the honor with out receiving too much hate from the peanut gallery.
Exactly!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I'm not sure what the shock with Harold Baines in the HOF is. He is #46 on the all time hits list. Everybody on that list from 1-53 is in the HOF except those tainted by steroids, gambling or aren't eligible yet because they are still active and one other player (Omar Vizquel). Sure he's borderline, but I think his era is underrepresented, and I'm fine with him getting in.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Dick Allen was one of the most feared hitters of his era. I think of him as a Hall of Fame caliber player, and he should already be in.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default +1

Well said, Glynn. I’m happy for Harold, one of the nicest guys in baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Gotta agree with the watering down comment. Doesn’t seem like either of these guys made that significant of a contribution and/or had a real HOF career. High level contributors but not HOF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 12-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
Gotta agree with the watering down comment. Doesn’t seem like either of these guys made that significant of a contribution and/or had a real HOF career. High level contributors but not HOF.

If they are in the HOF, Roger Maris should be in the HOF......just saying.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Tony Gordon

From the perspective of a White Sox fan in Chicago, I absolutely love the choice of Harold Baines for the Hall. For a team that has been around since 1901, the White Sox have had a long history of lousy outfielders. Baines is actually one of the best outfielders in the history of the team -- we're talking over 100 years! I've had to suffer through the likes of Wayne Nordhagen and Dan Pasqua. The Sox have nothing for 2019. Baines election to the Hall is all Sox fans have to look forward to in 2019. Stop hating on Harold. There are a lot of folks in these parts that love the man.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
keith janosky

I just could never figure out the obsession with Mariano Rivera. The guys who's he's pitching to have played nine innings out in the 90 plus degree heat. He comes in for a half inning all refreshed from sitting around a whole game not in the heat pitching to guys who are tired playing a whole game and all of a sudden he's an elite pitcher. Give me a break.

Last edited by keithsky; 12-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I just could never figure out the obsession with Mariano Rivera. The guys who's he's pitching to have played nine innings out in the 90 plus degree heat. He comes in for a half inning all refreshed from sitting around a whole game not in the heat pitching to guys who are tired playing a whole game and all of a sudden he's an elite pitcher. Give me a break.
Maybe you should take a look at his numbers, pal. I watched him play every day. The game was essentially over as soon as he entered it. Even more so in the post season. Inning per inning he is probably the greatest pitcher of all time. I can not think of a single name I'd rather hear coming into any game in any era on any planet other than Mariano Rivera.

Last edited by packs; 12-10-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am hoping this was tongue in cheek?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I hate the Yankees, but really? Compare him to his contemporaries who were pitching in the same "easy" conditions you posit. Hoffman is the only one in his neighborhood, and he's on the outskirts.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Well, all I can take away from this is that Mattingly will get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

At this rate, someday I’ll get in!!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The ghosts of Harry Hooper, Joe Tinker, Rabbit Maranville and George Kelly are smiling tonight in baseball heaven...and somewhere Buck Weaver is softly crying.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Lee Smith & Harold Baines??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
There was never a time when I thought, Harold Baines defined his generation.

I missed where the rules say you have to “define your generation” to be a Hall of Famer. It’s not just the Hall of Household Names.

You have the Ruths, Aarons, and Seavers in the HOF and then you also have the Pie Traynors, Rabbit Maranvilles, and Rube Marquards. It’s made up of all of them. It’s been this way almost literally since the beginning.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-10-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:03 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Yes, these are two very unfortunate additions, in my humble opinion. Wow...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38