NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Charity Auction - The Painted Turtle $6000! 20 mins left!

Posted By: JimCrandell

Barry,

I will only agree to an animal charity if Leon promises not to tell us again how he sleeps with his dog.

Actually if proceeds are going to a number of charities I propose Operation Rescue.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

The money could also go to help Leon's dog..assuming it doesn't like sleeping with Leon..

Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Are there people on here who will not participate if they don't like the charity? Would someone not go with the idea if I chose the charity being a feed the hunger or medicine for kids charity? No charity is a bad charity and I would be shocked if the turnout was less because people who rather see charity ABC receive the relatively small amount that charity XYZ. I would like to see a charity that can have an immediate effect on the money get it, such as a feed the hungry. If the money could feel 200-500 people, wouldn't that be awesome!

I'd really like to get an understanding of who on the board wants to even do this. I haven't received any emails thus far, so we're sitting at zero, though 5-10 have responded saying yes.

Have a great weekend,
Kyle

Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'll be sending you a card...OR TWO.

pete ullman

Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm sure Jim is just trolling again, but count me out if any of the money goes to Operation Rescue.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

So am I to assume that the money will be donated to Leon's dog?

I hope this doesn't turn into an argument over what charity is most deserving. I plan to send something to Kyle, but maybe we should establish where the money is going first.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Dan,

I don't troll and I don't post garbage posts.

If you can propose charities that mean something to you, I can do the same.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Why would someone get on Jim just because he places a higher value on the life of unborn humans than he does on groups that want more "humane" living conditions for chickens and cows? It seems like he has his priorities straight on this one.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Would you all participate if I chose the charity the day I send the package to REA? Again, any charity is a good charity, and knowing you've done something nice should make it worth while.

Also, I plan on posting the list of all donations, so everyone can see how great we did and how generous people were. Though if it is determined that it could create more controversy, I won't do it.

-Kyle-

Old 02-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks David--well said.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Lets please don't turn this nice deed everyone wants to do into an argument. I think Operation Rescue is a great cause and so are all of the others. I can't tell you how many times I have had tears in my eyes over seeing mistreated animals. I also get tears in my eyes over seeing hungy and impoverished children (I really have a soft heart behind my dictator front)...and I am sure making old timer baseball players lives better would be a good cause too. I am not saying to split the bit of money we collect a million ways but maybe we could pick 2 things to donate to.....We really have to get something done soon if we want to take Rob up on his offer...best regards (and leave Trixie out of it....she sleeps with me every night and we are quite happy )... Unconditional love....

Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Thank you Leon for endorsing Operation Rescue as a "great cause"--I think that should be one of the two or three we choose.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This will be my last word in this thread - I WILL NOT GIVE ANYTHING IF EVEN A PENNY GOES TO OPERATION RESCUE. Anyone who wants to read about who the people are behind Operation Rescue can read this link.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200503220001

Sorry Leon, I am not trying to be divisive, but I think people should know how this "Charity" works before they decide if they want to give money to them.

And I will not respond to any more of Crandell's bait. There are plenty of neutral charities to give this money to. And for the record I will not give a penny if any of the money goes to PETA either as that is another group that operates outside of the law.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

this is the first i have seen this post...

I AM IN!!!

i will donate a mid-grade PSA T206 card. (i think it is awesome that REA is willing to do this, he is a class act)...

being a pet owner, my vote leans towards an agreed upon charity which helps animals...(sounds like Rob's choice too).

i also think we should have Leon do a quick poll, and everyone can vote for charity of choice...that is the ONLY fair way to do it.

come on guys, 2 weeks is a long time, i just read this thread in 5 minutes and already pulled aside the card...

great idea Kyle!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

BRETTA,

It is not bait. David Vargha put it most eloquently and said if you want do send your money for those who want more human conditions for chickens and cows rather than the lives of unborn humans it is a sad commentary indeed.

Count me out if we are supporting chickens and cows over unborn babies.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Are we donating money to charity or resurrecting the abortion debate?

I plan to send a card or two to Lyle when I have a little better sense that we as a group agree on something and know what we are doing. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

as i stated above, Leon should do a quick poll, and everyone can vote for charity of choice...that is the ONLY fair way to do it.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

There are many charities that we can all agree are worthy without considering some that are controversial in nature. I think Operation Rescue is one that fits in the latter category and I would suggest that we eliminate it from our list of possibilities. This is not a pro or anti abortion statement, just a statement that we should choose a charity that EVERYONE feels good about.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Absolutely. There are so many worthy charities, and we should be able to pick one. I think we should have it decided by tomorrow so that we can start sending our cards in beginning Monday.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

my mistake....I just googled and found out Operation Rescue is not the same local "operation rescue" I was thinking of. The local one, I think, has to do with animals and not humans. Operation Rescue might be a great cause but I am not going there...It was my mistake on that...sorry for the blooper....I think I might do a quick poll in a thread to ask everyone's favorite 2 charities.....???

Old 02-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

i agree with Jay, lets not pick a controversial charity, please...

my girflfriend just woke up and suggested 2 non-controversial animal charities: humane society or aspca...

p.s. i am not trying to "push" the whole animal thing here, it just seems like we have many "pet people" on Net 54...

just food for thought, but if Leon doesn't mind, we should do a new poll...

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I have nothing against charities for animals, its really sad the conditions some of them live in. BUT when I had this idea originally, I was thinking that somehow the auction would benefit people and in a more immediate fashion - hence why I am really in support of the money going to a feed the hunger charities or medicine for children charity.

Guys, we may get $2000 out of this, we may get less... hopefully more. Its not worth bickering over the charity.

Support the idea, support the generous, giving members of this forum and just make this happen. Please.

From here on out, all my responses in the thread will contain the procedure information to be involved.

To join the Net54 Charity Auction sponsored by Robert Edward Auctions:
1. Send in any card(s) legibilly specifying with what it is, year, player, variation, etc.
2. Declared value(s) (write NONE if you don't want a tax document returned to you)
3. Please print your address for a tax document if desired
4. Cards MUST be postmarked by 02/14/2007.
5. Send email confirmation of your intention to participate and what you're sending to: kylebicking@yahoo.com

(address removed, please see later posts)

On 02/21/2007, I will reply to the thread with a list of the donations and donators to thank all of those who supported the idea. I've had several emails already, thank you!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

I agree--the animal ones are too controvertial.Lets not include those.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Leon- asking everyone to name their two favorite charities is akin to asking New Yorkers to name their two favorite steakhouses, and you know where that gets you.

Perhaps there is an easier way to do this. I endorse charities like the Humane Society, but if that doesn't work let's just move on.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Lyle- Are we limiting this to cards, or are other forms of baseball memorabilia acceptable?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

If saving human lives is too controvertial, how about something to help our war veterans--or is helping our soldiers too controvertial sas well.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

jim- are you kidding me? i am talking about a charity that takes animals in need off the streets, caring for them, feeding them, giving them medical care, etc...

you want to talk controversial? the catch phrase of your "operation rescue" website is: "Dedicated to ending abortion in America"...if that isn't controversial, then i don't know what is...

let's not get into this...kyle had a great idea, let's stay focused here.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

How about let me make the decision and trust my judgment that the donation will go to a could cause, and lets get some envelopes in the mail. If waiting until 2/21 to announce the charity pervents some people from donating, well then that's their problem.

-Kyle-

------
1. Send in any card(s) legibilly specifying with what it is, year, player, variation, etc.
2. Declared value(s) (write NONE if you don't want a tax document returned to you)
5. Send email confirmation of your intention to participate and what you're sending to: kylebicking@yahoo.com

On 02/21/2007, I will reply to the thread with a list of the donations and donators to thank all of those who supported the idea. I've had several emails already, thank you!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Mike,

You don't think ending abortion in America is a nobler cause than taking animals off the street?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

jim-this conversation isn't for this board...

let's agree to disagree.

and please do not email me with this discussion.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Jim- you are taking as controversial an issue as possible and we will never get agreement on it.

I don't know Lyle, but for the sake of getting this done I would let him pick the charity, and will get something in the mail on Monday.

To repeat my question, are we limited to only cards or other forms of memorabilia as well?

Old 02-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Mike,

I agree--no looking for a debate--just surprised over what you said.

Kyle--I will send card(s) but I would need to know where money going first.

Jim

Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ellis

Kyle, Great idea. I will donate a card worth at least $100. All I ask is that it be a legitimate charity that truly helps humans or animals (no political - left or right causes). You can pick it as far as I am concerned. Thanks to REA as well. Mike

Old 02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Hi Barry, sorry I didn't see your question before. Anything is fair game to me: cards, memorabilia, etc.

The cause I choose will be one that will impact animals or humans in as urgently as possible. If this doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, I really wish we could please everyone on here... but just know that in a few months some charity will be getting a check from Net54 Vintage Forum and REA, and you'll have missed out on it. If you choose this route, please refrain from posting on this thread.

Thanks,
Kyle

-------------------------

On 02/21/2007, I will reply to the thread with a list of the donations and donators to thank all of those who supported the idea.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Sorry Kyle--not up for contributing to animals--let me know if you change your mind.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Kyle- please pick the charity and I will get a box of odds and ends out to you on Monday (no junk!) Barry Sloate

Old 02-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

I will put a card in the mail Monday....you pick the cause....I am sure it will be a good one...

Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

I leaning away from an animal cause, sorry to those who really were pushing for it. I'll have no problem doing another one of these for that cause in the future.

I am leaning towards either of these charities:
-http://sickkidsfoundation.com/>
-
http://www.childhaven.org/new/>

Thanks,
Kyle

Thanks Leon, Barry... much appreciated.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

1. Kyle - great idea. Not only helping a cause, but it will be neat (as you said to begin with) to see what the melting pot of N54 donations turns out to be. I'm in.

2. I suggest a 24 or 36 hour thread to vote for the charity, from 4 or 5 nominees that Leon and/or Kyle can pick from this thread. One person, one vote, any vote for a cause other than one of the nominees is cancelled, and NO using the thread to lobby or otherwise discuss the charities nominated. The poll is too easy to manipulate - remember how 60% of us or something were PSA 8 collectors? There have been several charities suggested that I think everyone could support, but each of us has our favorites within that handful. Even if we have just a short and limited vote, people will get a chance to try for their favorite but still likely support whichever cause ends up getting the most votes.

3. It's probably good that there is so little time - it will spur action. Having too much time might end up with people forgetting or loss of sense of urgency.

4. REA - wow. Good for them.

5. Funny - everyone suggested fairly neutral causes either by name or by generic descriptions of activity. Only one person started down the path of "neutral or slightly my way". How ego-centric. Wow. Whatever Trevor.

I'll send a card regardless - I'll support whatever charity is selected b/c I'm sure it will be good. A chance to vote would be nice too, but not really a show stopper for me.

Joann

Old 02-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Joann. I look forward to receive your item. From those who have mentioned they will contribute, we've got a few nice items on the way. Still, we'll need more people to participate, so if you've got stronger relationships with anyone on the boards, please encourage their participation.

-Kyle-

Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Without trying to fan the flames any more, I too have a couple of suggestions.

* Don't designate a charity. Let the high bidder in the auction designate the charity of their own chosing. This would likely result in higher bids.

* If this is not to your liking, then as Joann suggests, have a poll. But, the only people who should participate in the poll are those that are donating something.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Outstanding idea Martin--let the winning bidder designate

Old 02-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Letting the winner bidder decide who gets the funds defeats the purpase of accumulating cards for charity. I BELIEVE the purpose is to do something good, but if the winning bidder wants to donate to "HILARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT" I'm going to be pissed.

By the way, I do have a card wrapped up and ready to go - in the $100 range - but this is a new twist.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hines

I think you can have the best of both worlds. Just assemble a list of "approved" charities (compiled form the numerous charities listed here in this thread and commonly agreed apon) and then allow the buyer to choose any combination of those charities listed as the benifactors. I have seen this done in several organizations in the past.
Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

Tom

Old 02-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Cat,
You're right of course and I agree that i'd be pissed too if it were not going to something to help others. I was trying to find a way to brake away from the 'choose my cause' deadlock that this has turned in to.

How about the Red Cross - its even got a tie in to vintage cards, given that its a rare back

Given all the devistation in Florida yesterday, and in California due to the fires few weeks back, I'd like to see the monies go somewhere where it can help the everyday folks who need immediate assistance. I'm biased of course, having suffered through a tornado years ago, but know that agencies like the Red Cross and Salvation Army help everyone.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Cat- Hilary Clinton is a multi-millionaire. That's not a charity!

The money should be donated to any reasonable charity that helps the needy or underprivileged, or the very ill. That's the kind of charity we are looking for.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Just curious and I am not trying to overcomplicate things...but, if I won it would people be upset if I donated the funds to my son's High School Baseball team? I'm just trying to get a feel for what folk's expectations are.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I knew when this nobel idea first went out there that it would lead to disagreements.

I would not want to donate to some undisclosed charity of another person's choosing. What if the winner would choose a charity with which I have fundamental disagreements and would not want to support. Can't we agree on something neutral like feeding the poor in this country.

Let's be serious and stay away from contentious issues like choice or no choice on abortion.
JimB

Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Barry:

Maybe there is an accountant that can help, but I think what people are suggesting is limiting the decision to 501(c)3 organizations. This counts out my son's baseball team and probably some other deserving organizations. It does include most churches.

In the end, we better pick the charity

Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

How about the ACLU? WHo here does not love our constitution?
JimB