NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default A few cards stolen- couple questions

Hi all,

Well while working out with a trainer I had my truck broke into and a number of christmas gifts and stuff stolen, including a number of cards I had purchased last week. It hurts losing a couple of the cards but I will get over it. I will post a couple of the ebay pics so people can keep an eye out for the items. That said I have a policy under Collectibles Insurance Agency and with the card amounts I paid on ebay I have over $700 to claim. This will be the first time I have used them for a claim so does anyone have any advice for filing a claim? I hope everything goes smooth with the claim and I will let the board know just how it was handled by them.

I have slim hope of recovering the cards but I plan to do everything possible. The good news is a couple of them are not cards/tickets you see everyday and can be ided easy plus two were graded. I am hoping the thieves slip up and try to sell them on ebay or craigslist, which I will be watching (more help watching is great too). I am also thinking about putting an add in the paper here that im buying old baseball cards and hope they are trying to move them fast and might call. I know of one card store near here that I will visit tomorrow but could use help if anyone knows any other card stores in the Houston area that i can call and notify that would be a big help.

That about sums it up but if anyone else has any ideas please let me know and yes a police report will be filed.

3 1926-29 PC exhibits- Harnett, Meusel and Barnes (wish I had better pics)

1948 team set with Paige

1960 WS game 7 Ticket- This one really hurts

Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Scott

Sorry to hear about this. We have CIA insurance for our auction company but, thank goodness, we haven't had to file a claim yet. I don't have many good answers for you but I can help a little by not letting this drop off of the page for several days......I would stick it at the top but that might be overkill. Let us know how it goes, as it goes. I hope the thieves get caught. regards

Last edited by Leon; 12-01-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Hi Scott,

That is a terrible thing. I will keep an eye out for any of those items and let you know if I spot them offered for sale. I don't have any great advice for you, but I wish you well with the insurer and your efforts to replace the lost items.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Really sorry to hear about this, Scott. I hope it works out as well as can be expected.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Johnny S

Scott,

I think there is a good chance you will get these back and they will catch the idiots who did this. They have no idea what they have and will either sell them to the card store or a pawn shop. Maybe the internet but I hope you get them back this really sucks.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Chris Counts

I'm sorry to hear about this, Scott. Hopefully, whoever took them will get caught trying to sell them. Maybe someone will recognize the Obak. How many 3s of Baker have such nice corners? If it turns up on eBay, it should be easy to recognize ...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Barry Arnold

Default stolen

so sorry to hear this terrible news.
i'll keep my eyes wide open.

best,
barry
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Frank Wakefield

Scott, thanks for posting this. Sorry for the misfortune.

Please do keep us advised on how your claims process goes. You're blazing a trail that some of us need to understand as we hope we never travel that direction. Wish you well with it.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Brad Green

Scott:

Sorry that this has happened to you. Have you had any luck finding the cards or the person responsible?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 AM
martin

I would definately go to any card shops you have around town. I had about 100 ungraded t206s stolen from me years ago. With the help of J and L Sportscards here in town, I got them all back except for 4 (or more) which the other card shop in town has refused to return.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Thanks for all the post and support!

No luck yet. I have talked to the 2 closest card stores on the north side of town and they were both very helpful and said they would call me if they see any of the cards.

I have filed the insurance claim, CIS got back to me in a couple hours and said I will be contacted in the next 5-10 business days by a claims person.

I will update as things change.

Last edited by smtjoy; 12-04-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 AM
James Gallo

Man that sucks. I have had a few claims with CIA over the years and have never had a problem. the only thing you might have a problem with is your deductible. I belive mine is $500. Regardless they are very easy and I generally had a check in a few weeks if not sooner.

James G
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Lou

Hope you get your stuff back,especially the game 7 stub! I'll keep an eye out!

Lou
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Dave

Hopefully you'll get them back. I've been robbed twice of cards, both when I was much younger.

When I was a teenager in the late 80's I managed a card shop in my little town for the owner of the shop. One day the shop was broken into and most of the higher dollar cards were cleaned out, including many of my own cards I had on display. One was a 53' Topps Mickey Mantle. It was low condition, but as a 17 year-old it was pure gold to me. I think I had a couple early Ted Williams cards to.

Remarkably and unbelievably the cards walked right back into the shop a couple of weeks later when the owner was working the store. It was a 15-16 year-old kid who was a regular at the shop. I still can't imagine what the kid was thinking bringing the cards back to the same shop they were stolen from. All the cards missing were recovered.

The other time was in my early 20's. I had been with my wife by then and we had a small apartment. I kept what was left of my collection at my parents house. It was broken into by an old friend of the family (now estranged) who had fallen into the drug scene. He went straight for my baseball cards and whatever jewelry was around the house.

The cards were never recovered but my parents homeowners insurance covered about 1/3 of my losses and I had most of the stuff catalogued in my records from card shows I used to do. It was actually a godsend for me to be honest. It was mostly crap 80's cards that booked for far more then you could ever actually sell them for..............and being a young couple with a baby on the way, it was a nice little payoff from the insurance company.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Marvin J.

Hi Scott -super sorry to hear about your stuff. I'll be in the Houston area Christmas week (going back home for Christmas - living in Cali now). I was going to spend some time checking out card shops, etc - I'll keep a specific look out for your stuff.

I was wondering, you said the items were stolen from the north side of Houston - could you be more specific? I grew up in the Bear Creek, Cypress, Champions area. Are you more along the Kingwood/Woodlands side?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sorry to hear, thieves are the lowest form of life
Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Not to take this thread away from the original poster (who I feel terrible for), but I had a 1940's Negro League program stolen at the National Convention so if you guys could keep your eyes open for that as well I would appreciate it. It is a Homestead Grays program from 1943 I think with Josh Gibson listed inside and the scorecard is a reddish color and in Near Mint condition save a few pencil notations inside about the game. I think the opponant was the New York Cuban Giants but I will need to look it up. It is a unique item so even though I dont have a scan and the description is not concrete, you would know it if you saw it.

Thanks

Rhys Yeakley

themodo@hotmail.com
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Sorry for your loss Rhys, good luck getting it back.

It happened on the outskirts of the woodlands.

I talked to the insurance adjuster today and he was nice and I emailed him a list of what was stolen and he said he would get back to me next week. I was lucky in that everything was purchased off ebay in the last two weeks so knowing current value is pretty cut and dry.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Scott

Well, since some others are telling their stories, I was at a concert in CT here a few years back w a friend. We left my car at the commuter lot. In hindsight, not smart, it wasnt the most accesible one. Anyways, after having a blast at the show, we returned and found my car broken into. I had sports stuff in car under a blanket and all of it was stolen, plus CD's, stuff thrown on ground, etc. It effectively ended my small time part time dealer on the weekends schedule. Traumatic and horrible indeed. No insurance, and nothing was ever recovered.

On topic tho, Scott, I hope u get your stuff back, or at least decent insurance. What hurts too is if Christmas gifts for family were stolen. Thats really hard.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I Just wanted to give an update on this.

Well I just recieved my claims check from CIS for the full amount ($729) that was stolen. Total time taken to receive from filing was 70 days. Very happy with the service and time to payment. If I had any doubt about the value of collectibles insurance I no longer do, well worth the cost and I will be increasing my policy coverage.

On the other front still no luck finding any of the cards/tickets (
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Jimmy M

Thanks for the update Scott. At least you got the money back - too bad on the cards.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Barry Arnold

Default scott

i'm glad that you got your money back ok and that the service was good.
i insure my cards with the same company.
i'm sorry that your cards weren't found,though.

best,
barry
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great news....

Hey Scott
That is great news about recouping your money, if not your cards. One quick question, if you don't mind? Who is your insurance with, Collectibles Insurance Agency or.....?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Sure Leon, my insurance is with Collectibles Insurance Agency, the claims check was made out from a Collectibles Insurance Services (CIS).

Last edited by smtjoy; 02-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Phil Nap

Any word on whether this will result in a premium increase for you?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Hang the Thieves

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you the cards back soon.

Have the police fingerprinted the area where the cards
were? With a little bit of luck they can identify the
thieves.

It would not be bad if they were caught, and they got
in the wrong line of fire, or if you decided to use
their heads as a batting practice.

Here is hoping.....
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Clayton

Hey Scott-thanks for updating us.It's nice to know that CIA took care of you.I also have been thinking about insurance,and it's good to hear of positive first-hand experience.

As was stated in earlier posts,did you ever follow up with the surrounding area card shops?It's more than likely this/these dirtbags have no idea of the value of the cards,and would end up bringing them into some card store or pawn shop-and take whatever was offered out of sheer stupidity.

I'm sorry for your loss on the cards,but glad you got your $$ back (or at least most of it).

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear about the cards Scott but glad CIA took care of the claims. I have my cards insured with them as well..and I have heard nothing but good things from them so I'm glad it worked out for you...now here's hoping you can get those items back!

Ricky Y
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I just recieved my new policy and my premium did not go up other than for me increasing my coverage value.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Jim D

I gave this advice to others that have had their cards stolen, most of the time, with vehicle thefts, its a crack head or teenager and they are careless.

I would make a list of the missing cards and if you have pictures put a couple of them on your list. Distribute your list to all the card shops and pawn shops in your local area. Ask the potential buyers to "stall" and call you and the police right away while they are "pricing" out the items before they purchase them.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Just wanted to post a quick update.

I just recieved my new policy and my premium did not go up other than for me increasing my coverage value.
Thanks for the update regarding the premium issue.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin neal View Post
I would definately go to any card shops you have around town. I had about 100 ungraded t206s stolen from me years ago. With the help of J and L Sportscards here in town, I got them all back except for 4 (or more) which the other card shop in town has refused to return.
Turn them into the cops; the words "fencing stolen goods" seems to make an impact...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Barry Arnold

Default A few...

great news on the update re: insurance.
thanks for letting us know.
wishing you all the best,
barry