NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default Post war side of the board?

Posted By: leon

I agree with Ted that this board is all about vintage baseball cards and primarily pre-WWII. With that being said should we do away with the Post War side? It seems as though folks would rather post on the main board even for the later cards. We only made the Post War side of the board because folks asked for it. I am neutral and will go with the board opinion. Also, we could make this front board Pre-1970, or some other arbitrary date? Just a thought as there isn't much discussion over there. The thread Jeff started should have really gone over there in the first place.....regards

ps...the memorabilia side does fine and will definitely stay....

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

an occasional thread here on the main board.... that truly belongs on the 'other side' is actually a great thing.

For those who never visit the 'other side' getting a taste of the cool discussions / cards / items / etc may help make those areas more popular.

So - I am all for an occasional post-war, or football, basketball, golf, etc on the main forum.

As a for instance... I never read the basketball forum - but if there was a thread on the main forum that I found very interesting, I'd be tempted to visit.

thats just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Leon:

I wouldn't mind seeing the two combined, especially the threads asking to "show your........"

Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

As long as 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas's aren't going to start appearing here, I don't mind.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's funny, but when you first launched the post-war board I was checking it constantly, now I rarely look anymore. Wasn't even aware that it had declining hits. It's always a good idea to readdress these things. I just wouldn't want the main board to be flooded with questions about 1970's Topps. That would detract.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I would vote no to combining the two, but I'm sure i'll be in the minority on that one. I personally could care less about any post war cards and there seems to already be plenty of sites for the post war stuff...but again, realize i'll be way out voted on this.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I agree....I don't really care too much about the post war cards either. Only the baseball cards really get any action to speak of over there....Also, since we might have an extra tab I am open to suggestions for it...or we can just cancel it. Anything that is not Pre-WWII baseball cards will still be considered off topic over here so I don't see the place getting over run with those kinds of posts. ....regards

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I check the football postwar daily. I realize that the posts are minimal; but I enjoy communicating with the other football collectors on the board. My vote is to keep them seperate.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

GEE, I didn't mean to start something in Jeff L's recent post. Occasionally, but not too often, topics on (barely) post-war BB
cards (such as 1947 Bread cards, or 1948-49 Bowman's, or 1949 Leaf's) I think are not out of line on the Vintage forum. Be-
cause we are usually posting about pre-WWII ballplayers. Also, these sets are "land-mark" issues that followed a 6-year gap
in BB cards.

In any event, I do think a line should be drawn at 1950 BB card issues....1950, and subsequent card sets belong in the post-
war forum.

TED Z

Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

I am not trying to raise a ruckus or anything but when no one posts on the post war side for days or weeks (in some categories) and then there are posts of post-war on this board, then my thinking was, maybe a change should be made. We'll see what the general sentiment is. It's no harm to leave it as it is. It doesn't eat much or get in the way. If it's not utilized it's not needed though......

Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cashews

i could see why people wouldn't be interested in post war cards because they don't collect them, but a lot of people actually got to see post war players from the 40's, 50's, or 60's play and may have a lot more to talk about than the usual 19th century discussions even if they aren't interested in collecting the later cards. i bet if someone posted a few 49 bowmans they just picked up some of you will be able to recall getting them in packs and talk about the way old cards were distributed. even though i'm not interested in 49 bowmans i'd still like to hear about how they got into your hands when you were a kid and what it was like to see those guys play.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i never go over there, that's not to say i don't like some post war issues, but i prefer the vibrancy and energy from the main board...the other side(s) of the board feel like the non-alcoholic beer section of the deli.

my vote is to combine them, and have a strict cut-off...1950, 1960, 1969?

MS

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I was just kidding with my comments in the other thread about the Paige RC - I put 2 smilies!!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Add another column (We now have: Message Title, Author, Replies, Last Post) -- - Add the column 'Category'

Then when a user posts, make them designate a category.

When we look at the overall list - we should have the option to sort by any column - - or purge out items based on a column (show only Pre-War, show only Golf, etc.)

I would love to purge out by "Author".... how nice it would be to eliminate all of those threads started by that Lichtman fella.

Maybe its possible - maybe it is not?

But.... adding a category as an option to a post eliminates the need for separate boards.
Allowing sorting / purging by category - makes that function more enjoyable.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I used to check it more frequently and have not for months now. I don't mind combining them, but I would advocate a pretty early cutoff date, like 1960 or something like that. 1969 would be fine too.
JimB

Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I lean on the side of keeping it, however I can understand if the consensus is that it's a useless appendage. I was an early advocate for the post-war baseball board, and thought it would take off much more than it has. A few times I tried to steer post-war threads on the vintage side over there, but then I stopped -- I think that was just out of my own disappointment. So, I ended up actually posting on the recent Jackie Robinson thread here. I'd like to see it stay because there is still the occasional thread there that excites with either images or info, and there's something about it I don't find quite anywhere else (for instance, Ted's enormous uncut Bowman sheets, some great Armour Mantle coins recently, and often really good info on rare stuff.) As far as allowing those threads on the vintage side, fine with me but if it got too many I could understand the point of view of those who'd fuss.

*edited to say, "Show us your Bell Brands!"

Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

I vote "no" on combining the two. If I want to discuss postwar, I know the link is listed above
if I need it. I visit the main board to discuss prewar and prewar only.
By allowing postwar discussion on the main board even with guidelines, it wouldn't be long before
it was abused. It's just human nature IMO.

Tony

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

While I read just about every thread on this PreWar side and am enthralled w/ ANY discussion of vintage cards from that era, I am primarily a '48 thru '50's-early '60s collector as those were the cards of my youth! I will be 68 soon, so for many of us "old farts" the '50's were our heyday!

I check the PostWar side every day as I am BEST able to contribute over there & would hate to see it go away! I DO look at ALL Sports over there also.

If it became necessary to eliminate that side, I think a fine cutoff date for this Board would be 1969---nothing later!

I would think discussing cards of Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, Satchel Paige, Mantle, Aaron and Mays shouldn't be banned or taboo over here and wouldn't be too much for even the most avowed 19th C collector to handle, would it?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

You know, I have never actually been on the post-war side. Is there ever any autograph discussion over there? I'm sure I echo the sentiments of many on the pre-war side when I say that I don't have much interest in discussing, say, anything Kevin Youkilis-related (or does it deal more with 1950's-70's issues?). If there is any talk of pre-1980 autographs over there, anyone is free to email me about it. I will contribute where/when I can.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I would certainly vote against bringing the postwar side of the board back over here. There are so many terrific sets from the 40s and 50s that they really need to have their own board. Regional issues in particular are very popular with board members and I see no reason to combine that entire section with the prewar side.

Part of the reason that section doesn't get more hits is because people still post postwar questions over here (be it 1950s issues, boxing cards or even memorabilia) and we just sort of let it go. In effect, we've sort of shot ourselves in the foot because I feel people believe that if they want their post to get more "notice", it needs to be on the main forum page where more people will see it. If we all were a little better about keeping everything not concerning Pre-WWII baseball cards over on the other side, I think that section would be utilized more.

Now then, you could make a case that certain areas of the postwar thread could be contracted. If you wanted to remove the basketball section (for instance) we could do so fairly easily and leave everything else intact. But I wouldn't touch the main Postwar forum as that appears to still be getting quite a bit of activity.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I do check over there from time to time, maybe not everyday. I really think it is fine the way we have it setup.

Jimmy

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

As I said...the reason I brought this up is the lack of posts over there and the Post War posts over here. As I said, that side doesn't eat much and does no harm. .....But if something is stagnant, or mostly stagnant, then I think it's existence should at least be discussed. I don't think I/we have ever made a decistion (and stuck with it) that was in the minority thinking of the board. I will speak with Brian about maybe condensing the Golf and Basketball anyway.....Maybe make that section Golf, Basketball, etc.....thanks for those that gave feedback. For the record I/we would never let the main forum be over run with Post War issues.....regards

edited to add....Jodi-I think the autograph discussions fit into the memorabilia category better than the Post War cards side.....except the one 700+ post thread on this main forum....which was very good

Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

it's a nice resource to have, and I do check it every day, though I too am disappointed there is not more activity.

I am particularly surprised there is not more "Recent Pickups" thread activity, although I am guilty of it too...will be rectifying that soon, hopefully.

For the record, I do not use the other sport forums, such as basketball, boxing, golf, bluegill fishing, and underwater street hockey.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One thing you could try is to have the Post War be just one category, instead of one for each sport. CU mixes sports and that doesn't seem to be a problem over there. Just a thought.

Food for thought is I notice that many serious football collectors use the Post-War football cards to talk about Pre-War football cards, programs and such. While the posts have been rather sparse, I notice that the football area has attracted posts from some well known football card experts and memorabilia historians. I know that two new contributers are published authors in the area. I think it's nice for this board to allow other sport collectors to post in some shape or form. I wouldn't want a recategorization to boot out the other sports folks.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

One answer is for net54 to improve its capabilities to add a "New Posts" page, as exists in many other forums. This page would open the threads posted in whatever forum on one page: vintage cards, memorabilia, post-war baseball, basketball, etc, up to how many the board wanted to include.

If a reader wanted to check all the threads in whatever forum, he could always click on the "New Posts" page. If the reader simply wanted to only view the Vintage cards page, he would not click on the New Posts Page, but would simply view the vintage cards page as he has always done.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I’ve been watching and reading the threads in this forum (pre-war) for the last 6 months and they have really enriched my knowledge of pre-war2 cards many times over. I’ve enjoy checking in everyday for more. Also there are other topics that come up (Authentication, auction houses, EBay, shipping methods and many more) that I find very useful. This forum has so much resource power that the other forums pale in comparison.

I think that post war topics would be good for this forum (40’s, 50’s & 60’s). There is also a wealth of knowledge and monthly pickups from this period that would enrich all board members. There are good stories and experiences that could be shared by all.

Leon, maybe a trial period could be used to see if combining the forums would work.

After watching for the last 6 months I’m sitting on the fence deciding what to purchase as my first graded pre-war card. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Bob.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Great....you build the s/w that will do it and I will send it to the Network54 hosting company to see if they will implement it. I already asked the question (thread) if we wanted to change hosts from Net54 to upgrade our capabilities. It was almost a unanimous "no". I wish we had more s/w capabilites but we don't. What you are asking for is a good request but I don't think we can do it on Net54. regards

Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

My vote would be to expand the definition of 'vintage baseball cards' to include 1950's and 1960's issues, and deal with these topics on the main board. The cutoff year could be 1969 (i.e., pre-1970), for example. Many collectors and dealers even refer to cards up through as late as 1975 as 'vintage', although this of course varies from person to person. In any case I would think that most readers of this board have at least a passing interest in cards of the 1950's and/or 1960's. I also realize that there are some who have no interest in anything issued after WWII; Topps and Bowman and the like is simply not what they come here to read about.

It is a pet peeve of mine when someone, perhaps a new person, asks a question here about say, 1954 Topps Hank Aaron, and immediately gets told to take their question to the 'postwar' side. Sometimes they are also told they need to read the rules before they post, as if they are stupid or something. (Leon, I'm not referring to you here; you have always been polite about this as far as I have seen.) But, I realize that maintaining the board's focus, in accordance with the wishes of the majority, is important, and will be a continuing issue no matter what the rules are.

Another point is that much of the discussion on this board is about phony auctions on eBay, card alteration, and other such general hobby issues that often need to use more modern cards as examples. These discussions are helpful and should not be disallowed because of the age of the cards in question. But again, I realize you have to draw the line somewhere. If discussions about all baseball cards were allowed, it would certainly (according to my tastes) dilute the quality of the discussions that take place here.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i think that putting post war topics on the main forum would anger some of the long time members and would make them go elsewhere and it would also take something away from this site. before there was a post war board,i would have been in favor of doing this(pre 1960),but now that there is, i am not.this pre war forum is a kind of cult thing. it is looked upon by the members here as a place were they can come to and know that the topics will be prewar vintage cards and vintage topics. so i say keep it (the post war forum)but keep it the way it is.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Leon

My knowledge of software ended with fortran and programming stockticker in basic. I was quite surprised the board's near unanimity in rejecting investigating a move to site which provided better technology of this sort (and many other improvements), but so be it. There is obviously a certain comfort in what we have and are familiar with, even if improvements are easily available.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

You were no more surprised than I was. I was sort of hoping everyone would be for it....but my vote is 1.....After looking at other sites this one lacks a few things but the content is what it's all about and dare I say we have the best on the internet in our space.......best regads (my Boston accent)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Leon:

I think the postwar board is doing OK post wise; it may be a little slow but things tend to go in cycles on many boards. I haven't posted as much due to personal and time issues of late but plan to pick it up again when I can. I think it is a good resource and while I personally would not mind it melded with the main pre-war board, I am sure the majority feels otherwise (and that is fine-this board's main focus is pre-war).

Some comments about post WW2 issues being appropriate on the main board are apt as well. I think most people think of pre-war as really "pre Topps" and even if you expand that to go to say 1957 (which I believe is the year baseball and baseball cards changed irrevocably and brought in the "modern era")it still captures the spirit of the era. And look at Old Cardboard-they define vintage as 50 years old.

Two suggestions/observations then:

1) You could combine all the post war stuff onto one board, instead of separate ones for each sport.

2) Would a standalone T206 board be a good idea? Or would it dilute the pre-war board?

Anyway, hope the post war board stays in some form.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I would try to get some post war collectors to the forum. I don't know how the others found this site, but from my own point of view, I didn't find this for 4 months and I like to think that I know my research. I wonder what the google key words are and possibly where this forum is advertised.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I mainly lurk but check pre war and post war boards about every day.

The stuff posted on the baseball post war site is very interesting, especially the tough regional issues and Topps test/insert information.

I don't think it would show up on the pre war side, it would be shouted down.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Add me to the "No" category. I venture over there on occasion but it doesn't interest me like the pre-war stuff does. It would just make the posts I like and care about disappear faster as more threads would be started on a daily basis.
-Rhett

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pat

is it hurting anything to keep it? i say let it be.
pat

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

IN reading all of the thoughts it's an easy decision to keep it mostly the same. We might condense it to have the bottom two columns together but otherwise lets leave it the way it is and get back to cards. Brian and I (and now Dan) are always thinking about how we can make Net54 better...Thanks for the feedback...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I was actually going to suggest that we go the other way, tighten things up, narrow the focus a bit, say, maybe 1938.

But okay, if you want to keep it the way it is...

-Al

Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: m mc avoy

As a lurker, I vote keep them separate. Each board has its strengths.

I like the regional and topps test discussions on the post-war board. Less gossip and animosity appears on the post-war board (few trolls and immature posters). There are members who post great discussions and comments on the post-war board but do not regularly post on the pre-war board (I think Gilbert posts there on occasion and he rarely posts here, now). In addition, I believe the post-war boards are as good as any of the other boards that offer posts on pre-1980 stuff (many other message boards call these items "vintage"). I also think that if the boards are combined, some people will stop posting, and the pre-war board will see fewer informative posts rather than more posts of interest for vintage collectors.

If it's too much work, maybe Leon can delegate it to a capable volunteer? If it's a cost issue, well, I hope they can remain separate.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Maybe we could burn the post-war board down for the insurance money.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't want any post war comments on the main board. The main board is full of posts that have nothing to do with pre-war cards, so what's wrong with a few more?

I was also surprised at the number of people who didn't want to change the host software for the forum. I really like the format of the full count board: Posts are split up in sections so people can skip areas they don't like. Also, posts can be moved by the moderators, so if something is posted in the wrong section, it doesn't need to be deleted and re-posted.

edited to say we don't want links to other boards on this board for the most part...especially ones started due to breaking the rules of this one,

edited to add one more thing....this has nothing to do with the current leadership of the other board. It has to do with the 2 people banned from this board.....

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I agree with Glen. I suggest a new forum in this similar format:

http://collectingjewishsports.freeforums.org/index.php

Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Alan - I was expecting to see seperate forums for Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Hassidic Jews. Naturally, the Hassidic section would be sub-devided into a men and women's forum. We can't have men and women sharing the same forum!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Leave the PostWar category up, it gives a collector an avenue to find out info from rare and unusual cards in the 1950-60s that he would never be able to ask about here.

There is no other message boards with the amount of knowledgeable collectors as this one.

I personally like the 1950s regional issues and Minor League issue (many are far rarer than the average T or E card).

I also like the info on the rare Topps test sets, but could care less about the regular issue Topps cards myself.