NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default Heritage Auctions

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Is it me or are the various Heritage Auctions and associated rules just too difficult to figure out?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

What happened to the 30 minute rule? Is the auction over?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Yeah, there's my point. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

It is really tough to figure out what is going on. Maybe we got spoiled with Mastro being so straight forward or maybe it just takes getting used to the system. No complaints though--they had some great material.
I had a clock on the lot I was bidding on which counted down the 30 minutes.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't have any other info besides bidding myself but the web says it's over if you aren't logged in....then if you log in the extended bidding shows going from 9-11 and the 30 minute rule after that, I believe...though am not positive. I was confused a few hours ago when a lot said it was closed and extended bidding was closed.....then I logged in and it gave the time left... maybe only for lots I had bid on?...

Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Everything seems to have ended at 11:30, but they cite a 30 minute rule??

Frank

Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

IT problems...They are working to fix the problem...should have an answer quickly

Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Everybody goto bed the auction is over....Smiley face

Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I bid during the '30 minute rule' period and yet the clock never reset. Now it says that although I am the high bidder I could still be outbid in the live auction even though the item I am referring to is not in the live auction tomorrow. Heritage's systems and auctions are so ridiculously complicated you need the freaking Rosetta Stone to figure them out.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

With all respect, this auction is now a joke. No 30 minute rule ever kicked in and now it will be extended till whenever they decide to keep it going. For the zillion dollars of sales they generate each year you'd think they could have software that actually works when it needs to work.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

I have been told that any lot which received a bid in the extended time frame is now open....Don't shoot the messenger

Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Charlie, for obvious reasons -- what a joke. What if you were waiting for the 30 minute rule to kick in and it never did and no bids were placed during the extended period? Heritage just screwed a lot of consignors over.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

I totally agree. I just wanted to pass along the info....to give people a chance to finish off the auction. I am sure this will be talked about tomorrow.

CB

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

I'd love to know the owner of one very expensive card that I was about to bid on...lol. To let him know what would have happened.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I guess I don't understand their bidding. I was outbid at $11K on a lot, so I bid $12,600 something as my max--the bids are supposedly in $1K increments. That made the high bid $12K. Then I thought I'd bump my own bid over $13K, so if the guy chasing me bid $13K he'd see that he was still topped, and maybe think he had to go to $14K. I bid $13,013 and confirmed it--it even gave me the total with BP. I didn't save this, and I don't think it shows you your own bidding history. Anyway, the winning bid was apparently $13K, and it said my $12,600 "secret max" was outbid. Didn't even acknowledge that I had bid over $13K. Now maybe the "winner" would have gone to $14K, but who knows. I'm frustrated.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Jeff--I don't understand the issue. What prevented you from bidding on any card?

Todd--Can you make up your own bids? I thought you could only bid in the increments specified.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

I had bid a few days ago on some cards...the regular bidding ended...the extended period ended..and the 30 minute rule was about to kick in -- and I planned on putting in additional bids during this period. Unfortunately, there never was a 30 minute rule and the auction ended at the end of the extended bidding because of the fact that the software malfunctioned and Heritage decided to just end any lot that did not have any bids during the 2 hour extended bidding period.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Jeff--I wasn't aware of that issue. The lot I was bidding on had bids during the extended period but none during the half hour followup. So, the computer glitch did not change what would have happened with that lot.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I bid on a card that received no bids during the 2 hour extended bidding and it still had a 30 minute follow up period. Still no bids during that period.

You did have to be logged in to see the extended bidding on the lots you were qualified for though.

I do think their software and rules are screwy though - nearly impossible to understand.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

This is from their rules--note the last sentence:

Bid increments determine the lowest amount you may bid on a particular lot. Normally, bids must be at least one bidding increment over the current bid. However, podium, fax, phone and mail bidders submit bids at various times without knowing the current bid and must be on-increment or at a half increment (called a cut bid). Any podium, fax, phone, or mail bids that do not conform to a full or half increment will be rounded up or down to the nearest full or half increment. However, for Internet bids, these increments only apply to the current bid. Internet bids greater than one increment over the current bid can be any whole dollar amount. It is possible under several circumstances for winning bids to be between increments, sometimes only $1 above the previous increment.

Also, I would have "beat" the other guy to $13K in any event--yet my bid was not acknowledged (but my $12, 680 bid was)

EDITED TO ADD--my $13K+ actaully was acknowledged and confirmed, then apparently "unacknowledged".

Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Josh, they did have the 30 minute extra period - and I bid during that period -- but the 30 minutes never started over.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

jeff- agreed...

i won't name others, but there are several operations today that try too hard, they are contrived, thus creating a "confusing" & fussy experience...

things should be simple and straight forward (like barry sloate's auctions)...there ya go Barry, finally a plug from me.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

The auction rule was more complex that Charlie Rangel's proposed new
tax legislation.

There were four lots that we had bid on in the extended period that closed
out well below what we would have bid.

It seems everytime we bid on the Sports King of Hubbell, there is a computer
problem. Time to try a different strategy.

Will be interested to see who won what and what price.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Jeff is correct. The clock was counting down to 1130CT instead of 11CT. The 30 min rule did not start on time and many of us were intending to bid once the 30 min rule began. Which it never did.

The people I know at Heritage are first class. I am sure we will be hearing from them.

CB

Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Todd--That makes the system a lot more complicated than it needs to be. They should provide the increments and bidders should have to adhere to them.

Charlie--I was high bid on a lot. At 11:00 CT the clock went on at 30 minutes and counted down to zero at which point the lot closed. There were no other bids during the 30 minute period. How else should this lot have run?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Maybe so--maybe I outcuted myself, and should have gone from $11K to $13K right away, but dammit, I followed their flippin rules, and look what it got me.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I had a few more bids left, but it closed before it seemed like it should have.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Jay,

I got a phone call from Heritage acknowledging a computer problem with regard to the time clock. The clock should have counted down to 11CT followed by a 30 minute rule...This may have occured on some lots...however all the lots I was watching... the 30 minute rule never started.

CB

Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Dont know what to say Jeff - very strange. My lot ended at 11CT and then a 30 minute period started. There were no bids (assuming there wasnt a computer f up that prevented others from bidding) during the 30 minutes and so as far as I know, my high bid was the winning bid. I guess I will be waiting to see since Ive rec'd no confirmation of that fact.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Charlie--I never assumed that a clock would count down to 11:00 CT. Why would one need that--on every lot that has at least two bidders the 30 minute clock starts at 11:00CT and that is the only clock you need. The fact that the 30 minute clock did not reset for lots that had bids after 11:00 CT was a problem but that is the only problem I see and Heritage did their best to rectify that issue by reopening those lots. For those lots that had no bids during the period from 11:00 CT to 11:30 CT there was no reason to do anything. They had operated as they should have since there was never any reason to reset the clock.

JK--If you were the high bidder at 11:00 CT and there were no bids between 11:00 CT and 11:30 CT you are the winner. I called Heritage and verified this.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Just in case anyone thought that last night's glitch in the Heritage auction was an anomaly, today's live internet auction was equally as ridiculous if one was bidding from behind a computer screen. Other than getting disconnected every few seconds, I put in a bid on an item, it was accepted and apparently won the auction; when I subsequently checked all of my bids
on lots the winning bid on that item did not appear.

For what it's worth, somehow Mastro and REA have figured out how to run big auctions online; maybe it's time for Heritage to ditch the hieroglyphics, the multiple simultaneous auctions all with different rules, and the software that sucks. Just a thought from a customer.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I feel your pain, among other other emotions. You'd think they could get their poop in a group for the kind of coin they're looking to pocket.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Todd, it's like selling a car for 100K with all the bells and whistles; except when you put the key in and turn, the car won't start. How can an auction of this size fail on so many levels? And why would anyone consign with them knowing how many bids were surely lost?

Old 10-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

But they have a really nice building...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Duncan Harvey

I was bidding on the a lot and was outbid at 12k at 11:26, I went and calculated the cost per item at the new bid and went to bid and it was closed at 11:30 , I ended up going to bed after 20 minutes or so and never bid again. I am sure I was not the only one , too bad for the sellers , too bad for the buyers that wanted to bid and congrats to everyone who got a great deal!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

True, Richard, a very shiny building. But if they'd have a few extra floors if they could only get their auctions right...

Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Ok Richard that was very funny!!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

Hi,
I went to their website and my invoice is up but only two items are listed and I won four items...anyone else having issues?

chris

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Chris from Heritage just called and listened to me whine for a few minutes about the weekend debacle. I thought it was a nice touch to actually reach out for some feedback. At least we know they care about their clients' needs.