NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default "Young Guns" McDavid rookie

Why are these so expensive? PSA 10s seem to sell around $400. I get that he is an amazing young player, but there are over 1400 (!!!!) PSA 10s, including a remarkable 50 on ebay right now, and probably a huge number of Beckett 9.5s as well. Maybe the glut on ebay will result in lower prices?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...david&_sacat=0

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 AM
Bob Davies

I'm kinda with you, so... Maybe because there are more than 1400 McDavid and Oilers fans willing to spend that money. I play hockey with a guy who is not a card collector at all (but a huge Oilers fan), and he ended up buying a few boxes of UD. He picks up a few of them, then asks me what to do with them. I said "Get 'em graded.", so he does. He couldn't spell "PSA" before, had no idea of the grading game.

Now he has a 10 and two 9's, and they are in a frame with a jersey, hanging in his basement.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

There are 581 Crosbys in PSA 10, so obviously they printed a ton more McDavids. PWCC has 8 ending on the same night, it's crazy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:05 AM

About a year ago, there was some discussion on another forum (not sure if it's OK to say which one on here) about black label McDavid YG. At that time, they were POP 9. Sales got into the 15-18k range.

Now it's POP 29 (and recent sales show a sharp decline from the max).

That same discussion mentioned in March 2017 that the BGS pop report showed 311 BGS 10 and 3512 BGS 9.5. Current pop report on shows 461 BGS 10 and 5614 BGS 9.5 (granted these are probably inflated some due to re-grade attempt to bump).

PSA 10 from March 2017 had a POP 686. Now it's 1426.

I'd be wary of buying any high grade McDavid YG at the current price.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmd99 View Post
About a year ago, there was some discussion on another forum (not sure if it's OK to say which one on here) about black label McDavid YG. At that time, they were POP 9. Sales got into the 15-18k range.

Now it's POP 29 (and recent sales show a sharp decline from the max).

That same discussion mentioned in March 2017 that the BGS pop report showed 311 BGS 10 and 3512 BGS 9.5. Current pop report on shows 461 BGS 10 and 5614 BGS 9.5 (granted these are probably inflated some due to re-grade attempt to bump).

PSA 10 from March 2017 had a POP 686. Now it's 1426.

I'd be wary of buying any high grade McDavid YG at the current price.
OMG that many Becketts lol yeah this is crazy.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Kevin L@wrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There are 581 Crosbys in PSA 10, so obviously they printed a ton more McDavids. PWCC has 8 ending on the same night, it's crazy.
While I'm sure they printed more I'd bet some of it could be attributed to the increase in awareness of 3rd party graders. A whole lot of McDavids went straight from pack to card saver and then to a TPG.

There were auctions at one point over a year ago where there were lots of 10 for sale on PWCC. I personally sold all the YGs and FWAs I had pulled after his Hart. Dumb? Perhaps, but I'm betting on a slump / injury (ala Sid) in the middle of his career where buying opportunities may emerge should I want to buy one for the PC.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Anson

Resurrecting the thread because I found it intriguing. To put things in perspective, there are already significantly more graded Gem Mint McDavid YGs than 1990 OPC Premier Jagr rookies (BGS+PSA). McDavid is an extraordinary talent, but he may never get close to Jagr's accomplishments. $80 vs. $400. Seems like an easy decision for me.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Resurrecting the thread because I found it intriguing. To put things in perspective, there are already significantly more graded Gem Mint McDavid YGs than 1990 OPC Premier Jagr rookies (BGS+PSA). McDavid is an extraordinary talent, but he may never get close to Jagr's accomplishments. $80 vs. $400. Seems like an easy decision for me.
I don't know with a 100% certainty, but I'd bet the Jagr rookie numbers are in the thousands.
I pulled this one straight from a pack and put it in its current holder back when the collecting/junk wax craze was rampant and I know many others did as well.

Not saying there isn't a ton of McDavid rc's available, but, imo, there likely is Jagr's as well, if not more?
Currently PWCC has 5 Jagr 10's up for auction (that I seen) and depending on the prices realized, there will be a whole lot more coming out soon, imo.

But, like you, I also don't get the current prices of current players when so many proven, HOF's cards exist that can be had for less money, but I guess it boils down to who's popular and who isn't?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Justice, Jagr, Ryan, Frank.jpg (74.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

At one point PWCC had close to 10 McDavid's I think, haven't checked since but I suspect there is a constant large supply.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At one point PWCC had close to 10 McDavid's I think, haven't checked since but I suspect there is a constant large supply.
There are currently 8 Young Guns with a 3 other cards also classified as Young guns, (like this one below) that I am not familiar with.

This is the most expensive one as it's a Pristine copy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352405806682?nordt=true

Looks like it will finish over a $1000, imo.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/curr...ms_per_page=50

Last edited by irv; 07-25-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:28 AM
Kevin L@wrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
There are currently 8 Young Guns with a 3 other cards also classified as Young guns, (like this one below) that I am not familiar with.

This is the most expensive one as it's a Pristine copy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352405806682?nordt=true

Looks like it will finish over a $1000, imo.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/curr...ms_per_page=50
Those are UD Young Gun Canvas. Not an exact variant of the YGs such as foil, exclusive and high gloss. They generally command less than a comparable YGs. As an example a standard McDavid Young guns in BGS pristine has sold from (edit not $20k) $10k to about $5k in the past year. Not sure of the exact bottom number or recent sales because I haven't checked recently. But it has dropped substantially.

Also the pops on a Black Label BGS 10 have increased substantially in the past 6-12 months. Someone on another forum has been tracking pop counts and there was a sudden surge. I'll try and find a link tomorrow. Just another reason why I shy away from buying "11"s.

Kevin

Last edited by LOTSOS; 07-27-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:54 AM
Kevin L@wrence

Here is the link:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ht=McDavid+BGS

Black Label YGs went from a hit rate of 1/285 (first 6,800 cards graded) to 1/61 (last 304 cards graded as of May 2018)

Hmmmmm?

Kevin

Last edited by LOTSOS; 07-27-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTSOS View Post
Those are UD Young Gun Canvas. Not an exact variant of the YGs such as foil, exclusive and high gloss. They generally command less than a comparable YGs. As an example a standard McDavid Young guns in BGS pristine has sold from (edit not $20k) $10k to about $5k in the past year. Not sure of the exact bottom number or recent sales because I haven't checked recently. But it has dropped substantially.

Also the pops on a Black Label BGS 10 have increased substantially in the past 6-12 months. Someone on another forum has been tracking pop counts and there was a sudden surge. I'll try and find a link tomorrow. Just another reason why I shy away from buying "11"s.

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTSOS View Post
Here is the link:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ht=McDavid+BGS

Black Label YGs went from a hit rate of 1/285 (first 6,800 cards graded) to 1/61 (last 304 cards graded as of May 2018)

Hmmmmm?

Kevin
Very interesting, Kevin.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Paul

McDavids cards are overpriced, His cards are easy to find and are in abundance..They are not as "rare" as collectors think..There are currently 1446 PSA 10's. Keep in mind, most of his cards pulled from packs, are placed in penny sleeves and inserted into a toploader immediately, and either graded or kept in a "mint state".
Gretzky's 79 OPC carries just 2-10's, 79-9's, 685-8's, 956-7's, 913-6's, 653- 5's, 541-4's, 300-3's. 161-2's, and 118-1's. He has a total of just 2635 cards graded 6 and above, and just 4,408 cards in TOTAL graded. (I don't consider the Gretzky rookie card rare either) Back in 1979 kids were not putting their cards in penny sleeves and toploaders..they put them in the spokes of their bikes to make them go faster..
Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
McDavids cards are overpriced, His cards are easy to find and are in abundance..They are not as "rare" as collectors think..There are currently 1446 PSA 10's. Keep in mind, most of his cards pulled from packs, are placed in penny sleeves and inserted into a toploader immediately, and either graded or kept in a "mint state".
Gretzky's 79 OPC carries just 2-10's, 79-9's, 685-8's, 956-7's, 913-6's, 653- 5's, 541-4's, 300-3's. 161-2's, and 118-1's. He has a total of just 2635 cards graded 6 and above, and just 4,408 cards in TOTAL graded. (I don't consider the Gretzky rookie card rare either) Back in 1979 kids were not putting their cards in penny sleeves and toploaders..they put them in the spokes of their bikes to make them go faster..
Thanks for the info, Paul.

I understand the hype and how people can get caught up in it, but I am not so sure that won't always be the case when the next best thing comes along?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks for the info, Paul.

I understand the hype and how people can get caught up in it, but I am not so sure that won't always be the case when the next best thing comes along?
Always hype for someone. (this is why I have at least a couple 91' Classic sets sitting in the basement still...Lindros is the next Gretzky you know)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Always hype for someone. (this is why I have at least a couple 91' Classic sets sitting in the basement still...Lindros is the next Gretzky you know)
You're sitting on a gold mine, Justin!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Don't forget about Upper Deck ePack. I believe it started with 2015-16 Series 1 which is when the McDavid was released. A ton of McDavids weren't even packed out but sent directly to BGS from Upper Deck through ePack or COMC.

Granted, like others have said it's a 2015 card that went directly into a holder regardless so it's not a tough 10 by any stretch. But I'd love to see production numbers from Upper Deck on this set at some point! I sold a bunch of these in late 2016 and only held onto the Future Watch. Numbered to 999 and signed on card which is a perfect combination--and SP Authentic is a pedigree type set that I will always enjoy buying!

Also, McDavid is great. Just throwing it out there!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
Don't forget about Upper Deck ePack. I believe it started with 2015-16 Series 1 which is when the McDavid was released. A ton of McDavids weren't even packed out but sent directly to BGS from Upper Deck through ePack or COMC.

Granted, like others have said it's a 2015 card that went directly into a holder regardless so it's not a tough 10 by any stretch. But I'd love to see production numbers from Upper Deck on this set at some point! I sold a bunch of these in late 2016 and only held onto the Future Watch. Numbered to 999 and signed on card which is a perfect combination--and SP Authentic is a pedigree type set that I will always enjoy buying!

Also, McDavid is great. Just throwing it out there!
I wondered about those SP cards? Thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, McDavid certainly is an amazing player!