NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Jeff,

No, I haven't seen that one. Must be about the only one I haven't watched. The definition of a level 5 leader is being someone who doesn't care who gets the credit. Jerry missed that part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
He atones for it in the episode and admits he screwed up.

jeff
Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
He atones for it in the episode and admits he screwed up.

jeff
Now THAT is personal growth! Wow! They had a good thing going. I will look for it to watch it.

Do you ever watch the Timeline series?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Mike Dugan

Jeff there is a great (maybe just for Arkansas fans) show that has played on both the various ESPNs and the SEC Network titled "Before They Were Cowboys" about their relationship.

It goes in depth on their time together at Arkansas and their careers up to and beyond their falling out. It also brings the Switzer connection into the equation. Very well done.

The show leads up the 2014 reunion of the 1964 National Championship team when they both joined their teammates for the first time in years. Jimmy still holds quite a grudge about never being offered the Arkansas job pre-Miami days.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Mike M.

I thought I’d chime in, I love watching today’s game. Fantasy football keeps me interested and for those of you that haven’t tried it I recommend it. It’s worth trying, I used to make fun of it so if that is your inclination I understand but once I started playing it really does help with my interest in the current game. I also happen to live in Las Vegas so betting on the games keeps me interested as well. I understand that most of the country can’t do that legally and I honestly think that hurts interest since a lot of games that are no longer relevant from a who’s going to win perspective can still be interesting as to who will cover.

Also there have been some great games this year, and the superbowl race is wide open. It’s a shame there have been some major injuries to star players this year and yes that has hurt my interest a little but to say that today’s game isn’t as exciting as it was in the 1960’s just isn’t correct in my opinion. Yes, it’s way more commercialized but it’s still great football. I understand that collecting is a way to connect to our youth but for me that’s picking up 1989 score Barry Sanders cards or 1986 rice cards. The reason I buy chicle’s, mayo’s and early leaf and bowman is an appreciation of the pioneers of the sport and the reason i pick up Tom brady, Carson Wentz, Levon bell, Todd Guley, joey bosa and Jalen ramsey etc. is they are just flat out exciting to watch on Sunday. My appreciation for older cards comes from a direct appreciation of today’s game, it’s also nice that football cards seem to sell for much less than their baseball counterparts so I can put together a nice collection over time without breaking the bank. A 1952 mantle is out of my price range but a 1958 brown or 1957 Unitas is not, even a 1935 nagurski isn’t any more expensive then a ruth of that era.

Last edited by mmier118; 12-22-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Яоь

The officiating has gone to crap. Games are not watchable anymore. There is always that one team that gets away with murder while all the other teams are penalized for doing the exact same thing. It has been going downhill this way for a few years and it is becoming just as bad as having the replacement refs.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Adam B

Without fantasy football, pro football is practically unwatchable, however, without pro football there is no college football, and I love college football.

I blame Roger Goodell. Some other members made great points about the poor officiating and the National anthem debacle. Ray Rice gets 2 games for felony assault and Ezekiel Elliott gets 6 games for when the NFL investigator thought the evidence was flimsy at best. So many double standards, power trips, and pissing matches it’s hard to keep track. How this jackass makes $50 mil a year for being awful at his job just blows my mind.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Unlike many, I've come to enjoy football more over the years.

I started watching around 1973-4 just in time for the Dolphins unbeaten season.
The game has changed, and it's changed several times over the years. Not always for the better, but sometimes.
Like it or not, the entire sport is passing happy. But happily that's led to some interesting things.
The quarterbacks have become a bit more important, and while the really good ones always were, the last several years have shown us an era with a nice selection of truly excellent quarterbacks.
1975 only one team had more than 3000 passing yards.
2016 only two teams didn't have more than 3000 passing yards.

1975 the average comp % was 52.5% and the best was 63%
2016 the average was 63% and the best 70.4

Think about that a minute the average guy your favorite team would replace as soon as they found someone better is by many stats Fran Tarkenton.

Even guys who have a hard time holding a job now are actually not bad at all. That's one of the recent developments that I don't like, the degree of pointless player movement. (And to some extent the lack of patience with coaches)

I watch a lot of the behind the scenes sort of shows, especially if it's the Patriots. The amount of stuff the players have to memorize, and the short time they have to do it is pretty amazing. I think the days of the athletic but not so smart player are long gone. (Note, I don't count making really stupid personal choices as smart of dumb as far as the on-field stuff goes. )

I really am starting to like Romo as a commentator. The times during the Pats Steelers game where he was pointing out things like " they line up this way, and the coverage of that one guy is by a linebacker, so this is the coverage type" I think is really interesting.
And that's a guy who couldn't keep his job as a starting QB. - mostly too injured, too expensive, but over 5-6 plays he wasn't wrong once.

And - even as a Pats fan, to me that was a catch and touchdown. ( and why do I abbreviate the name? I'm not usually a fan of that stuff, but I find myself doing it???? )

So much I could say about some of the other opinions, but they're opinions. Lets just say that we're all free to watch or not watch, just as the players are free to stand or kneel. And if we truly hate the US, unlike in the former East Germany, we're free to go to whatever country will have us. Just check if they're generally ok with saying the government sucks, some places get really hacked off about that.