NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Opinion: I’m fairly sure the Indians name and mascot were designed to be a good thing and not designed to be offensive. Just because some take offense to it doesn’t necessarily mean it should be removed. What’s the ultimate goal? Remove the charicarure, then I’m sure next will be the Indians name, correct? Where does the political correctness stop? If I was an Indians fan I’d be upset about it that’s for sure.

I’m sure some people are offended that I go to church or that the church exists. That’s fine; I’m still going...
Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default ????!!!

What does your going to church have to do with the Indians logo?? That is the weirdest and worst argument I've seen yet in this train-wreck of a thread.

Your analogy is ridiculous. No one could care less whether you go to church or not.

But if you got your church to adopt a slogan like "Atheists-goin'-to-Hell" and a logo that portrayed atheists as badly as Chief Wahoo portrays Native Americans, and then sold caps and T-shirts with that logo to every member of the church, then you would be doing something that was offensive to a particular group of people, and they would be reasonable in asking you to stop doing it. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Opinion: I’m fairly sure the Indians name and mascot were designed to be a good thing and not designed to be offensive. Just because some take offense to it doesn’t necessarily mean it should be removed. What’s the ultimate goal? Remove the charicarure, then I’m sure next will be the Indians name, correct? Where does the political correctness stop? If I was an Indians fan I’d be upset about it that’s for sure.

I’m sure some people are offended that I go to church or that the church exists. That’s fine; I’m still going...
Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
then you would be doing something that was offensive to a particular group of people, and they would be reasonable in asking you to stop doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
its just about respect.
You two keep throwing around words like "offensive" and "respect", but only when it fits your ideals. As a veteran, Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem offends me and a large group of the population and we think it's disrespectful, but people like you defend his right to do so.

I realize the situations are totally different, but they're also the same in that he's (Kaepernick) doing the very same thing (offending and disrespecting) to a group of people that you're claiming Chief Wahoo does. Native Americans only represent 2% of the population. Do you think more than 2% of the population is disrespected and offended by Kaepernick kneeling?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:51 PM
Steven

So David, removing the logo is offensive and/or disrespectful to you? Please explain.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
So David, removing the logo is offensive and/or disrespectful to you? Please explain.
Re-read my posts. I have made my opinion well known.

So Steven, you think Kaepernick has the right to offend and disrespect a large percentage of the population?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:57 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Re-read my posts. I have made my opinion well known.

So Steven, you think Kaepernick has the right to offend and disrespect a large percentage of the population?
Ive never commented on that and this thread isn't about that. Don't put words into my mouth. You have no idea of my military background, experience or anything else. And quite frankly, its none of your business.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Ive never commented on that and this thread isn't about that. Don't put words into my mouth. You have no idea of my military background, experience or anything else. And quite frankly, its none of your business.
As arrogant as you are, it's not about YOU!

Let me try this another way. Why does Kaepernick have the right to offend and disrespect, but Chief Wahoo doesn't?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-31-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
You two keep throwing around words like "offensive" and "respect", but only when it fits your ideals. As a veteran, Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem offends me and a large group of the population and we think it's disrespectful, but people like you defend his right to do so.

I realize the situations are totally different, but they're also the same in that he's (Kaepernick) doing the very same thing (offending and disrespecting) to a group of people that you're claiming Chief Wahoo does. Native Americans only represent 2% of the population. Do you think more than 2% of the population is disrespected and offended by Kaepernick kneeling?
David, Kaepernick kneeling was an example of an INDIVIDUAL expressing his right to free speech. His exercising that right offended enough people that he is currently unemployed. So it appears that the people he offended won that standoff. Now, some of the same people offended by Kaepernick, are calling others "snowflakes" for being offended by the Indian caricature.
A logo is neither speech, nor is it an expression from an individual. It is an image that represents a major league franchise. This logo is not a free speech issue.
When Kaepernick knelt, I didn't like it, but defended his right to free speech. I was not surprised or angered that he lost his job. The right to free speech protects you from GOVERNMENT action, but your employer doesn't have to put up with it. If The Indians or MLB have made a business decision, and chose to change a logo that could be viewed by some as racist, then they are as much in their rights to do it as the NFL and its execs were in blackballing Kaepernick.

Last edited by orly57; 01-31-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Good timing. Just got my tickets for an upcoming game...

clevelandindiansticket.jpg

And let me chime in by asking where does it end?? A couple of weeks ago I was on line waiting to order when some frickin' little snowflake d-bag twat looked up from his phone and snarkily said, "That's rude. Cultural appropriation." You know what he was referring to?? My throwback Buffalo Bills hat. It has the silhouette of a buffalo on it. Since I had no clue what he was talking about, I said, "What??" He pointed at my hat and said it was offensive to Native Americans. Let me reiterate, a graphic of a bison in silhouette is offensive. Never has the term 'snowflake' been more apt than here. I took my cap off to look at, because quite frankly, I was dumbfounded as to what this idiot was talking about. When I realized what the 'issue' was, I put the hat back on and got right in his f_cking face and went bananas on him. What a little, sniveling tool. As I quite loudly 'explained' that Buffalo is the name of an effin' city in Western New York and it has nothing to do with Indians or their culture, I told this, I assume, college student to go back to the classroom and continue being indoctrinated by 'professors' shoving dumbass terms like 'cultural appropriation' down his throat. Yeah, you're going to go far in life, little boy. Man, I am lucky I didn't end up in jail. The best part was a couple of people on line (one a 49'ers fan who told me she hates Buff) smiling after the pathetic worm quickly bolted, telling me, "Way to go!!"

Again, where does it end??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-01-2018 at 02:31 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I'm with you man. Guys who cry wolf on every issue really steal credibility from the valid ones. That's a huge part of the problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Kyle May

Ha! Snowflake Field. Is that the field the Indians and Twins are playing on when they travel to Puerto Rico this year.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Opinion: I’m fairly sure the Indians name and mascot were designed to be a good thing and not designed to be offensive. Just because some take offense to it doesn’t necessarily mean it should be removed.
Are you sure about that or was little thought put into it t begin with? Why wouldn't you remove it "just b/c some take offense"? Its not about PC, its just about respect.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:28 PM

I'm in the camp of remove the logo and keep the name.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Are you sure about that or was little thought put into it t begin with? Why wouldn't you remove it "just b/c some take offense"? Its not about PC, its just about respect.
Why don't you ask the creator of Chief Wahoo, who passed just this past December. The logo was literally created to show happiness and inclusion into the Cleveland community.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...to-offend.html

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-31-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Also, it sounded like, in another of your responses, that you think conservativism is not your cup of tea (you chose to use different phraseology); why don’t you respect their views and values? “It’s just about respect”, correct?
Closed Thread