NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Alex

I saw these at National and thought they were really cool. The Young in particular will be a centerpiece of a collection.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Here we go. These are the two cards I was talking about, and the last recorded auction of each. To me, these are preferred to the cabinet, even though the cabinet presents better, and is easily the better signature. The medium that is being signed is so important in this hobby. Signed Marquards are a dime a dozen -- but a signed T206 Marquard is a $1,000+ card.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=21855

http://www.goodwinandco.com/autograp...s-lot9069.aspx

Amazing picture here. I am only replying as i saw something similar to this somewhere else, currently at auction, for around 7k, with plenty of time left But looks a slight different from this one. Is there a difference as why they labeled the same????
Any guesses?
Here is the pic of it:

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-07-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Tony N.

Looking at the auction lot on SCP's website, the Cy Young Cabinet card has a reserve on it. $100K reserve maybe?

Tony
Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Amazing picture here. I am only replying as i saw something similar to this somewhere else, currently at auction, for around 7k, with plenty of time left But looks a slight different from this one. Is there a difference as why they labeled the same????
Any guesses?
W600's were printed over the course of many years as you can see on the label, and there are multiple poses/variations of most of the players. Is that what you were asking? The Young that you posted was created from the same image as the cabinet, but it's printed (not a photo) and was produced years later.

Last edited by Bicem; 08-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
W600's were printed over the course of many years as you can see on the label, and there are multiple poses/variations of most of the players. Is that what you were asking? The Young that you posted was created from the same image as the cabinet, but it's printed (not a photo) and was produced years later.
Thanks, i am not a pre-war guy, so anytime i can get schooled on something its appreciable.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:13 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Any guesses?
Here is the pic of it:
That particular W600 Young has the Type 2 mount which means that it was probably printed in 1903. That image of Young is also known on the Type 1 mount which was printed in 1902.

Obviously, the image was originally taken in 1893 or before - the date that his Just So card was issued.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Craig

Thanks for asking about the w600 Young
I may have missed that one at auction!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

66k for the Cy Young Cabinet.......That is the value according to the auction ending.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Craig

All of the Cleveland cabs went for much lower than I had anticipated.
Thought they were very reasonable.
Wonder what the consignor was anticipating?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
All of the Cleveland cabs went for much lower than I had anticipated.
Thought they were very reasonable.
Wonder what the consignor was anticipating?
I wonder if encapsulating the cabinets in blue flips (as opposed to red flips) from PSA hurt the value, as potential buyers may not have been sure that they were from the 1890s. (Or they could have gone to SGC w/ something similar, card and auto authenticated.)

Last edited by glchen; 08-24-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I wonder if encapsulating the cabinets in blue flips (as opposed to red flips) from PSA hurt the value, as potential buyers may not have been sure that they were from the 1890s. (Or they could have gone to SGC w/ something similar, card and auto authenticated.)
Gary, that was probably it. My guess is that the only people interested in this cabinet were uneducated bidders with a lot of money to spend and who couldn't find a Plank or Ruth rookie to spend their money on. As you say, they probably looked at the slab, saw it had the wrong color of ink on it, and I doubt they even looked at the item within the slab. More educated hobbyists probably simply respected it for its historical value and elected to let less educated people get a crack at it.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
66k for the Cy Young Cabinet.......That is the value according to the auction ending.
congrats Leon?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
congrats Leon?
Hopefully you aren't insinuating I have an extra 66k laying around? It definitely wasn't me. I can barely keep up with the shuffling I already do, to pay for my habit hobby.

I did guess it would go for close to the closing amount though, so that will have to do. As with many other things, if I did have the money, I would have paid more than that. It's a great card. Also, have to agree with other folks take on the grading, generally speaking autographs aren't as valuable as cards, so it might have been better to have it graded a 2 (MK) or something? It's easy to have 20-20 hindsight but still.....

Last edited by Leon; 08-24-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM

I must confess to being way out of touch, as I never would have guessed that whether or not a 19th century cabinet or cdv was graded or not would be of any meaningful interest to someone who appreciated an item like that.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
I must confess to being way out of touch, as I never would have guessed that whether or not a 19th century cabinet or cdv was graded or not would be of any meaningful interest to someone who appreciated an item like that.
I would have thought it would have had zero impact on price, as it's easy enough to get a very clear visual on it, and it's not like there are loads of them lying around. But I do respect Leon's opinion, and he's much more likely to be a player in an auction like this, than am I, so I suppose I just learned something.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:50 PM

I also respect Leon's opinion, which is why I admit to being out of touch, however, I agree with our opinion(runscott).
Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
I also respect Leon's opinion, which is why I admit to being out of touch, however, I agree with our opinion(runscott).
Who knows, maybe it doesn't matter? My opinion counts as one...So if ya'll disagree then you win, 2-1.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I doubt the holder made any difference. Regardless, amazing pieces and I'm sure the winners are thrilled to have them.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:19 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't know why a holder (or lack thereof) would make a difference in the pricing.

I'm not saying that from an anti-grading/anti-plastic holder angle nor saying there's anything wrong with wanting it in a labelled holder, just that the Young is more of an autographed photo (in cabinet card form) than a baseball card. Plastic entombment effects the prices of baseball cards not (in general) autographed photos, even when the photos are vintage originals and by famous photographers. An autograph LOA is usually sufficient for an an autographed photo to get get its full auction house value.

Last edited by drcy; 08-24-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

+1, David.

I sincerely hope no one took my first holder post seriously. I also hope it didn't sound too sarcastic for those who didn't take it seriously.

(By the way, you need to respond to my email regarding the next Felix game, as I'm buying tickets for the group).

Last edited by Runscott; 08-24-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Gary, that was probably it. My guess is that the only people interested in this cabinet were uneducated bidders with a lot of money to spend and who couldn't find a Plank or Ruth rookie to spend their money on. As you say, they probably looked at the slab, saw it had the wrong color of ink on it, and I doubt they even looked at the item within the slab. More educated hobbyists probably simply respected it for its historical value and elected to let less educated people get a crack at it.
Be serious. Most of the most valuable collections in the hobby are owned by the most knowledgable collectors. Too bad nothing could be blamed on the stupidity of "registry" folks this time.
Jim B
Old 08-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think you mean "be serious" as in "stop being a clown"

If not, please refer to the post I made 1 minute before yours.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Todd Schultz

I can understand the slabs in this case, not for the photos, but for the handwriting. I'm not sure how many people know how Cy Young would sign/identify B. Ewing, McKean, etc. (not saying PSA does either), but it makes distracting ink on the photo less so if you imagine ol' Cy putting his pen to it. Ten years from now if you didn't know about the provenance from this auction you might just think some nobody added the names to the front without the slab.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I can understand the slabs in this case, not for the photos, but for the handwriting. I'm not sure how many people know how Cy Young would sign/identify B. Ewing, McKean, etc. (not saying PSA does either), but it makes distracting ink on the photo less so if you imagine ol' Cy putting his pen to it. Ten years from now if you didn't know about the provenance from this auction you might just think some nobody added the names to the front without the slab.
That makes complete sense. Seems like it would actually raise the price for those photos.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 AM

Scott,
Sorry about that. I did not get the sarcasm in your original post. Electronic communication can be tough in that way.
JimB
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Jim, it's fine - it resulted in your reinforcing my thinking. If my post had been ignored it would have meant everyone agreed with its literal meaning (for Barry: as opposed to literally agreeing with it). It wouldn't have been the first time that I posted something that was very dry, and everyone thought it was sloppy wet.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Phil Garry

Agree with the others, a good deal for the winner of the Young cabinet, wish I had that kind of money.....