NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default LELANDS.COM SPRING 2014 CATALOG - AUCTION Final Day to Bid !!

I am happy to help Josh and company get the word out about their auction ending today. Good luck to everyone and please remember not to bid on what I am bidding on .

LELANDS.COM SPRING 2014 CATALOG - AUCTION Final Day to Bid !!

Featuring
• Jim Brown 1964 NFL Championship Ring
• 1954-55 Ted Williams Game Worn Uniform with Harry Agganis Memorial Armband
• The First & Only True "Baseball" Car – Yankee Stadium Vendor Wins 2000 Volkswagen Baseball Beetle (1/1 Produced)
• Babe Ruth 714th Home Run Ticket from His 3-HR Game
• The Mickey Cochran Collection
• The Lou Brock Collection
• Honus Wagner T206 Pose First Generation Vintage Photograph by Carl Horner
• 1909-1911 T206 Collection Including HOF & Graded (177)
• Mickey Mantle 1967 Topps Test Disc (PSA Authentic)
• The Albert "Red" Schoendienst Collection Part II
• The Largest Collection of Boxing Tickets Ever to Come to Auction
(CLAY VS LISTION I FULL TICKET)
• The George Brace Collection (The Finest Babe Ruth Photograph We Have Ever Offered by Charles Conlon)
• The Neiman Collection (THE FIGHTING FACE OF MUHAMMAD ALI
BY LEROY NEIMAN)

* Auction Ends 9 PM EST, July 25, 2014

* To register and bid visit www.lelands.com

* For more information about the auction, email info@lelands.com or
call 631-244-0077 • 516-409-9700

Lelands.com • 130 Knickerbocker Ave, Suite E. Bohemia, NY 11716

Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Christian Guidi

I cannot tell if this auction ended. I had the high bid on an item and it says a lot closed but didn't get an email or anything. It does not seem like bidding extended past 9pm but this is my first experience with Lelands. I just don't know if I should get excited or not... please advise...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Can someone clue me in to how you can tell their auction is winding down? It's been a while since I bid with them, but for the life of me, I can't find anything resembling a countdown clock anywhere on the site. Not trying to be critical, but really just wanting to know how I can see how much time is left and when the "10 minute clock" resets...?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguidi View Post
I cannot tell if this auction ended. I had the high bid on an item and it says a lot closed but didn't get an email or anything. It does not seem like bidding extended past 9pm but this is my first experience with Lelands. I just don't know if I should get excited or not... please advise...
I don't think it's over because it just accepted my bid on something I have been bidding on...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Can someone clue me in to how you can tell their auction is winding down? It's been a while since I bid with them, but for the life of me, I can't find anything resembling a countdown clock anywhere on the site. Not trying to be critical, but really just wanting to know how I can see how much time is left and when the "10 minute clock" resets...?
There are a few auction houses like that. I guess it would be easy enough to call them and ask how to find out - there has to be a way, right? - but for such AH's I just put in my biggest bid...right about now , and check again in the morning.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Christian Guidi

I already put in my best bid and the price hasn't changed for 2 hours so hopefully it won't! Still kind of a annoying buying experience... or maybe I am just spoiled.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
There are a few auction houses like that. I guess it would be easy enough to call them and ask how to find out - there has to be a way, right? - but for such AH's I just put in my biggest bid...right about now , and check again in the morning.
I just assumed I was overlooking something obvious. I know I could call them, but I really don't think they want every bidder calling them every 10 minutes saying, "Is it still going?"

My issue is that I don't have the funds to bid put in a big bid on every lot that I'm interested in, and may have to drop off one to pursue another if it gets out of hand. I'd hate to pick one to go for though, leave a max bid, then find out in the morning that I was outbid on it while another I was watching went for cheap, but I came away with nothing.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd hate it
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

I meant - call them to find how to look it up yourself.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Phil Garry

Seems like the norm these days rather than the exception with major AH's running past 3am EST in the morning almost every time. Glad that I have scaled back on my collecting these days and don't have to torture myself with all-night endurance contests.

As usual, I was the under bidder on a lot that I did not win, the Sol White History of Colored Baseball. The winner got a pretty fair deal IMHO.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 07-26-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

It looks like the Jim Brown ring was pulled from the auction.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Christian Guidi

Well that sucked... I had the high bid at 9pm and that bid had not changed when I went to bed at midnight. Of course at some point in the wee hours of the night I became the underbidder. Glad I didn't stay up!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I meant - call them to find how to look it up yourself.
Ah, okay. Misunderstood you there.

As it turned out, whoever I was bidding against apparently did as you said around midnight Central, putting both of my primary lots of interest out of reach. At least I was able to run each one up to my limit before going to bed though so that I KNEW they were out of reach, rather than waking up to the same surprise as cguidi.

For the one lot that I did win, I got the notification at at 4:24 AM Central. I don't know if that is when the auction actually ended, but it's safe to say that it went pretty late.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

well, at least I wasn't the only one that was outbid WAY past the supposed 10 min. rule. I read the rules again right before the auction was supposed to go into extended bidding and it says after 9pm that if after 10 min there were no additional bids on a lot then you won it, right? Well I was the high bidder on 3 Ruth lots all the way up to around 10:15 and from 9-10 I refreshed the auctions like every 5 mins to see if I was outbid which I wasn't. Then at 10:15, well past an HOUR from when my auctions should have closed I was outbid, one went past my max and the other I bid again and was the high bidder until 3 hours later when I got the outbid notice. When I woke up today I won one auction and wasn't happy at how this auction ran as I'm used to every other auction house following to their rules. IDK maybe I missed something in their rules?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
it says after 9pm that if after 10 min there were no additional bids on a lot
If there are no bids on ANY lot in the entire auction for 10 minutes, then the whole auction closes. If any lot anywhere in the auction receives a bid, the 10-minute clock for the entire auction resets. They don't do it on a lot-by-lot basis.

The only way your scenario of you being declared the winner at 9:10 PM is if you were the ONLY bidder on the lot at 9:00, which would mean nobody else would be able to bid against you (since you have to bid on a lot before 9:00 to be able to bid on it after 9:00).
Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've also been waiting a couple of days for them to respond to my questions about lot 561. The Purdy studio didn't open until 1896, and Jack Glasscock didn't look like that (as I realized after putting in what I thought was a placeholder bid). Oops.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
If there are no bids on ANY lot in the entire auction for 10 minutes, then the whole auction closes. If any lot anywhere in the auction receives a bid, the 10-minute clock for the entire auction resets. They don't do it on a lot-by-lot basis.

The only way your scenario of you being declared the winner at 9:10 PM is if you were the ONLY bidder on the lot at 9:00, which would mean nobody else would be able to bid against you (since you have to bid on a lot before 9:00 to be able to bid on it after 9:00).
ah I see, ok I'm def. not a fan of that process, lol.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
ah I see, ok I'm def. not a fan of that process, lol.
Same here. I was under bidder on a lot and watching a few others that was going to bid on, and probably would have been more aggressive for them, but still have a bad taste in my mouth from my first experience with Leland's in their last auction. In their last auction, I stayed up till after 3am and was winning on 2 lots( with no activity or bids since the auction "ended") went to bed woke up and lost both lots. It is very frustrating, especially staying up very late just to lose out.

Last edited by parker1b2; 07-27-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Jeff P

I've become a huge proponent of auctions that close lot by lot. I know there are pros and cons to every format but I, for one, am tired of staying up until 5am EST and then dragging myself to work.

The only way this is ever going to change is if a large number of serious collectors (I wonder where we could find those!) STOP bidding on auctions where all lots close at the same time. Or at least make it clear to auction houses that you plan to allocate much more of your funds to auctions that end in a lot by lot manner.

I'm doing my part to deal with this issue, are you?

For those that are wondering, here is a partial list of auction houses that close lot by lot. Feel free to add more to the list!

Baggers
Brockelman & Luckey
Bussineau
Heritage
Huggins & Scott
Joe’s Vintage Sports Cards Auctions
Legendary Auctions
Mears Auctions

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 07-27-2014 at 06:38 AM.