NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default OT: "The Battered Bastards of Baseball"

Just finished watching on Netflix. Cool documentary about the independent Portland Mavericks (A) from the mid 70's. Very interesting and entertaining.

Last edited by Deertick; 07-14-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Hey Jim,

On your recommendation, I just watched the movie and loved it. Never heard of the Portland Mavericks until I watched this movie. You have to hand it to this guy Bing who stood up to the big boys of Baseball.

They can never run out of baseball stories.

Thanks for sharing.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Netflix actually sent me an email about this but I haven't watched it yet. However, my wife came across it on her own and has already watched it twice. She loved it and wants to sit down and watch it together. What can I say? I married a baseball fan
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Joe

Just saw this on Netflix today, I'll have to check it out
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Jim M.arinari

It would really be interesting to watch The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola episodes.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Al

I was thinking the same thing, Jim. From the documentary (which I loved), it seemed like there was a ton of archival footage, both from the Garagiola episodes and from what appeared to be televised broadcasts. I'd love to watch them.

Another observation: Jim Bouton sure did have an unorthodox-looking pitching motion.

-Al
Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 PM
qualitycards

Is "BBoB" available to view for non netflix users?
If so, where can we find it?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
I added it to my queue last night and I'm pretty sure it said that this was a Netflix original movie. The only way you'll probably find a copy (for now) is if someone ripped it from Netflix and uploaded it somewhere.

Also, Netflix offers a free month trial subscription. If you really want to watch this then sign up for the free month... just make sure you cancel before your month is up or they'll charge you the $7.99 monthly rate.

Last edited by ZachS; 07-14-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing?

Zach's right it is a Netflix original.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM
qualitycards

Zach & Jim, thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

After you finish watching Battered Bastards of Baseball, you must watch Knuckleball. It's a documentary that focuses on Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey. It gives you a great perspective on what goes on in the mind of a knuckleball pitcher.

I've become a big fan of these knuckleball pitchers after watching this.

Buythatcard

Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

As far as "The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola", you can find some of the episodes on YouTube.

Here is one to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinlRM6Hhyg

Buythatcard

Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
After you finish watching Battered Bastards of Baseball, you must watch Knuckleball. It's a documentary that focuses on Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey. It gives you a great perspective on what goes on in the mind of a knuckleball pitcher.

I've become a big fan of these knuckleball pitchers after watching this.
Really? I thought that one was terrible. It's a disjointed mess of a movie that jumps all over the place. Great subject ruined by bad filmmaking.

Last edited by Tabe; 07-14-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 PM

Default loved it

Saw the ad on tv and qued it up almost immediately. I am a sucker for any baseball documentary and this one did not let me down. I also just went through the full run of "Pecos League" on demand. A interesting look at some of the characters of the lowest level of affiliated baseball.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Zach

Finally got to watch this tonight and I loved it.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 PM
John Mavroudis

Planning on watching it.... Anybody know if they did a doc about the Bad News Bees? The San Jose Bees team of the '80s? THAT was a collection!

www.zenpop.com
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Bill Gregory

Chris, I can honestly say you are a lucky man. I haven't married yet, but if I can find a good lady who loves baseball half as much as I do, well, that would be my definition of bliss on Earth.

Good for you. Let us know what you think of the doc. I might just have to check that out tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Netflix actually sent me an email about this but I haven't watched it yet. However, my wife came across it on her own and has already watched it twice. She loved it and wants to sit down and watch it together. What can I say? I married a baseball fan

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 AM

There was an older film in the same vein called I think "Bushers" or maybe it was "Bushes". I forget. They used to play it on the MLB network back when all they did was play current games or re-broadcast old games. I want to say it centered around a Phillies farm team during the early 70s, but it could have also been the Reds.

I loved it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Chris, I can honestly say you are a lucky man. I haven't married yet, but if I can find a good lady who loves baseball half as much as I do, well, that would be my definition of bliss on Earth.
I am very definitely blessed. We have season tickets for the Spokane Indians (short-season A affiliate of Texas) and she attends about 30 games a year with me (of 38). It's awesome
Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There was an older film in the same vein called I think "Bushers" or maybe it was "Bushes". I forget. They used to play it on the MLB network back when all they did was play current games or re-broadcast old games. I want to say it centered around a Phillies farm team during the early 70s, but it could have also been the Reds.

I loved it.
There was a film I loved similarly that centered on the Lodi Dodgers...haven't found it or even its title since the one time I saw it in the 80's on PBS.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Battered

INCREDIBLE baseball movie. If you really love baseball, you will love this movie.

I also saw "knuckleball" and that was very cool also.

As far as "Battered" goes, who knew that Bing Russell and Kurt Russell were ballplayers? Incredible documentary that will zip by in no time as your wife wonders where you are for 80 minutes!

mike
Old 07-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
As far as "Battered" goes, who knew that Bing Russell and Kurt Russell were ballplayers? Incredible documentary that will zip by in no time as your wife wonders where you are for 80 minutes!

mike
As mentioned above, mine will be sitting right next to me while I watch it

Watched about half of it last night and it's great. One minor factual inaccuracy bugged me - they stated Frank Peters was the manager during the first year of the Mavericks. He wasn't. Hank Robinson was the first manager.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Finished watching this last night and it was great. So much joy and fun in the team and it shines through during the whole movie. Great stuff on a topic I knew absolutely nothing about.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Finished watching this last night and it was great. So much joy and fun in the team and it shines through during the whole movie. Great stuff on a topic I knew absolutely nothing about.
That's what happens when you love the game. With no delusions of a MLB career (I think only 4 players including Bouton had a cup of coffee), the fun that the players are having translates into an enjoyable spectacle for the fans. Of course, the opportunity to stick it to the 'bonus babies' and MLB adds some fuel for sure.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Chris Wood

Default Thanks

Thanks to the OP. Great movie!!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Sean Brennan

Fantastic movie! I was wondering if anyone knew why Jim Bouton wasnt interviewed for it? Thats my only criticism
Old 07-27-2014, 03:32 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Watched it then went looking for uni's or hats or any old souvenirs, very scarce it seems. Great story, filled in the missing story with Bouton nicely
Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Default careful with kids around

I thought it would be a good show to watch with the kids. Wrong. Be careful, there are a couple of F-bombs. I realize that's how some ball players talk, but I don't really think it'd be cute to hear it from my 10 year old catcher.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
I thought it would be a good show to watch with the kids. Wrong. Be careful, there are a couple of F-bombs. I realize that's how some ball players talk, but I don't really think it'd be cute to hear it from my 10 year old catcher.
Yeah, I find the language a bit jarring and out-of-place.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Grant Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
Seemed like it was mainly from that bat boy turned movie director guy. And it was super out of place. He's what I like to call an awkward swearer.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

For those that care, Ebbets Field Flannels now has some Portland Mavericks apparel (hats, jackets, shirts) at their site. No jerseys since EFF only does wool flannels and the Mavericks wore double knit polyester. Check it out:

www.ebbets.com
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Just watched 'Gift of the Game'. About the attempt to re-establish the Cuban baseball team originally started by Earnest Hemmingway...vey good.