NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM
David Linardy

Default Help with a Mantle

A friend is looking to liquidate a small collection which includes this willie Mickey and the Duke ball. The willie looks good, the Duke ok, but I can't say that I am comfortable with this mantle... I was hoping to get a few additional opinions on his behalf.

I appreciate the help,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0937.jpg (70.4 KB, 424 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I agree with your assessment on Mantle. Looks like the 'Banana' Mantle. Unless he signed drunk or something lol
Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Mickey signed way better than that drunk.
Sorry, but it's a no.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Definitely a no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Christopher Williams

I'd love to see the Snider and Mays.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I bet the Snider and Mays are clunkers too.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I bet the Snider and Mays are clunkers too.
I have never seen an authentic Snider and Mays on a baseball with a forged Mantle.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM
David Linardy

Default Mick and duke

So the ball is in a huge shadow box and you can't really see the mays other than his first name which looks good, second look at the duke and it's definitely bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (64.4 KB, 396 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Hey Dave,

Ya, Mantle is bad and that Snider is definitely no good.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Scott

All bad
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM
David Linardy

Default Thanks guys

Much appreciated
Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Rob

No opinion on the ball as I'm not much of an autograph collector. But I like reading these threads because I find it interesting how confident people are declaring signatures bad. Often done with such authority that no accompanying explanation is required. Just the word "bad" itself. I don't say that to offend, I just think it's funny.

There seems to be an expectation of precision that would be hard for a machine to replicate never mind a human being. How do you account for being tired or rushed or drunk or in a bad mood or having a sore hand or getting old or countless other considerations.

Judging autographs, including paid certification, seems very arbitrary to me and more than a little dubious. I find it's always best to trust your own opinion and if you think it's good, go for it. Unless you're standing in front of the person when they sign it, nobody will really ever know, with 100% certainty, one way or the other.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I don't say that to offend, I just think it's funny.
Really?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Really?
Well...Unless you're easily offended.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Well...Unless you're easily offended.
I'm not offended at all.

Just find you amusing.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
I'm not offended at all.

Just find you amusing.
Probably not as amusing as I find these autograph "authentication" threads.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
No opinion on the ball as I'm not much of an autograph collector. But I like reading these threads because I find it interesting how confident people are declaring signatures bad. Often done with such authority that no accompanying explanation is required. Just the word "bad" itself. I don't say that to offend, I just think it's funny.

There seems to be an expectation of precision that would be hard for a machine to replicate never mind a human being. How do you account for being tired or rushed or drunk or in a bad mood or having a sore hand or getting old or countless other considerations.

Judging autographs, including paid certification, seems very arbitrary to me and more than a little dubious. I find it's always best to trust your own opinion and if you think it's good, go for it. Unless you're standing in front of the person when they sign it, nobody will really ever know, with 100% certainty, one way or the other.
spoken like a true NON-autograph collector. When you have seen so many fakes after 10 years of looking at Mantle, they are really easy to see. EASY EASY EASY. So the rest of your comments are pointless but appreciated from a novice. For instance... Your opinion on autographs holds ZERO weight.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Damn computer! I had typed what I thought was a really good reply, and it wouldn't post, timed out and it's all gone. (&())*!!!

Got to try again, hope it works, getting really tired of Edge.

Steve B
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Lets see if the second try works.

Here's my take as what most would call a non-autograph collector or since I have a few, either obtained in person or that I fell confident in maybe a casual autograph collector.

Many of the people posting have decades of experience as either collectors or dealers, and have handled a LOT of autographs and no doubt seen a lot of fakes.
In your field would you take the opinion if a coworker with decades of experience, or dismiss it? I know what my choice would be.

In machining (I'll get to the machines stuff later) there's a tool called a go/no go guage. If the part fits one slot but not another it's good if not it's bad.
Anyone who handles the same sort of item for a long time and sees both good and bad builds up a sort of mental library of what's good and what's bad.
The benefit we get here is that in that context the experienced guys are willing to share and help us build the same sort of mental library. Mantle is brought up often enough that I have gotten to the point of making a bit of a game of it. I make my decision, than wait for the opinions I respect to see if I'm right. I've gotten to the point of being able to spot a few bad ones and a few good ones, but not enough that I'd spend any money on my opinion.

Sharing or not sharing the details is probably a difficult decision. If the details are shared, it lets a faker know what mistakes to avoid. If it's not shared the info doesn't get to others, and eventually dies with the person who knew it. I feel what we get here is a great tradeoff, we get to build our mental library, and a faker would have to do some real work to learn.

As far as machines not duplicating things exactly compared to people, duplicating things precisely is exactly what machines do. That's why I had questions on the Dak Prescott autopenned cards. I saw tiny differences that made me think a machine wasn't involved unless there was more than one. But I also saw a really amazing degree of precision. I still don't know if a modern autopen can add tiny differences, but I know the old ones couldn't.

When I look at an autograph to buy I ask myself a few basic questions that lead me to the decision which I mostly base on my confidence it's real and the price.

The biggest is whether the item existed during the players lifetime.
After that,
Does the item make sense
Is it in a commonly faked format, or one that's less valuable or saleable.
Is it priced in a way that makes sense. In other words, would it be sensible for a faker to make the item. Cost of the item vs added value from the autograph. compared to the selling price.
What is the source
What are their other items.

If the answers to those are "right" I feel confident it's real. I could obviously still be wrong, but it's less likely (except for the first question, a no there guarantees a fake) If the answers are "wrong" it could still be real, but unless it's really cheap, I'll usually pass.

I could scan and post a new thread with examples, possibly for the amusement of the more experienced guys Just let me down easy on any I botched.

If you're looking for something close to scientific certainty, you won't usually find it with autographs. I do think that some of the very experienced dealers can get amazingly close though.
It's also good to reject what doesn't really fit as "good" out of caution especially for commonly faked things. Sure, injured, old, drunk, whatever may affect the signature, but those might not be common. (Or as I've heard for Mantle may be very common)

Steve B
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
When I look at an autograph to buy I ask myself a few basic questions that lead me to the decision which I mostly base on my confidence it's real and the price.

The biggest is whether the item existed during the players lifetime.
After that,
Does the item make sense
Is it in a commonly faked format, or one that's less valuable or saleable.
Is it priced in a way that makes sense. In other words, would it be sensible for a faker to make the item. Cost of the item vs added value from the autograph. compared to the selling price.
What is the source
What are their other items.

If the answers to those are "right" I feel confident it's real.
Bingo and good reply. Pretty much what I said in my last paragraph. Trust your gut more than "does that loop in his signature look right?" Conditions are always different. Signatures from the same person look different based on conditions. To think it's that easy to separate the fakes from the real thing is something autograph collectors tell themselves to make them feel better.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
To think it's that easy to separate the fakes from the real thing is something autograph collectors tell themselves to make them feel better.
Now that's amusing.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Now that's amusing.
Very profound input. Almost as profound as the sage advice to "use your eye to view the autograph". All these years we've been using our ears. The forum thanks you.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Very profound input. Almost as profound as the sage advice to "use your eye to view the autograph". All these years we've been using our ears. The forum thanks you.
Everyone has their own method of opining autographs.

I know what works for me and the collectors that I help.

Evidently you're not an autograph collector, so what is your agenda over here?

Or are you just here to agitate us?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
No opinion on the ball as I'm not much of an autograph collector.
You should have stopped there. Your opinions about how people judge autographs is obviously based on this sentence. If you had experience you would understand how, in most situations, telling a real from fake autograph is quite easy. This knowledge is what experience brings to many, just like in all things in life.

Quote:
But I like reading these threads because I find it interesting how confident people are declaring signatures bad. Often done with such authority that no accompanying explanation is required. Just the word "bad" itself. I don't say that to offend, I just think it's funny.
When people ask for an opinion, we give it. I, nor anyone, is obligated to go into details as to why they think an auto is good or bad. Many don't for exactly the reason Steve mentioned.
I find it amusing when people make that statement that they don't mean to offend. They say that as they know what they said is offensive and think that statement somehow makes it less offensive. Perhaps instead of writing it, choose a way to say it that actually isn't offensive. or say nothing if you have nothing constructive to add.

Quote:
Again, perhaps if you had knowledge about autograph collecting, you would understand that experience can help to account for many of those variables. There are always autos that people do not feel comfortable giving an opinion on because of those situations and we will often opine that we can't tell for sure.

BTW, machines can replicate things precisely. Autopens have been in use since JFK and are able to be spotted often because they are so exact. If you are interested there is a book written in 1965 by Charles Hamilton about JFK's use of the autopen back then.
https://www.amazon.com/Robot-That-He.../dp/B000S3RQ56

Quote:
Judging autographs, including paid certification, seems very arbitrary to me and more than a little dubious. I find it's always best to trust your own opinion and if you think it's good, go for it.
Judging autos seems arbitrary to you because you, admittedly, aren't really an autograph collector. If you were, then you would understand that each of us has a method that they feels works for them. Do any of us bat 1000%, of course not, but it certainly isn't arbitrary.
Your two statements here seem contradictory. Judging autos is arbitrary, but wouldn't that make your own opinion the same? Why would you trust the opinion of the least experienced person in the room instead of the most? People come here for opinions as they know that there are many very very experienced collectors and dealers here who will offer their opinion freely. Certainly it makes sense to want to hear their opinion especially if you don't feel you know the signature well.

Quote:
Trust your gut more than "does that loop in his signature look right?" Conditions are always different. Signatures from the same person look different based on conditions.
Just because something can be signed doesn't mean it is. Even if all of Steve's criteria are fulfilled doesn't mean it doesn't have to look like the person's signature. It does. Those loops mean something. If you knew anything about Mantle, you would know that his signature changed in a very distinct ways over the course of his career. Many people can tell a 1955 sig from a 1957 sig quite easily. Once the beginning of the auto boom in the late 70's/early 80's, Mantle took special pride in his auto and was a machine. He could be fall down drunk nearly unconscious and his auto was almost exact.
My father player country music in the 70's and Mantle and Martin would come into a club he played in frequently in Manhattan(O'Lunney's). I have a couple of Mantle autos from those times where he was absolutely hammered to the point of nearly passing out and they look almost identical to standard sig from that era. Again all of this info comes from experience, which you obviously do not have. Just because you don't know this doesn't mean others don't.

Quote:
To think it's that easy to separate the fakes from the real thing is something autograph collectors tell themselves to make them feel better.
This is the exact type of thing someone who knows little about autographs tells themselves to make themselves feel smarter than everyone else. If you knew something about autographs, you would know that it can be very easy to tell bad sigs from good. Just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't.

The take away is that knowledge is power. People here have knowledge and share it freely with pretty much all who ask. I think that it is pretty cool that there is a place like this around to help people. I can't count how many people have been steered away from bad purchases by the people in this forum. If you don't think the expertise here has value then you don't have to take advantage of it, but it is rude to ridicule those who offer their assistance freely.

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-26-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:25 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
You should have stopped there. Your opinions about how people judge autographs is obviously based on this sentence. If you had experience you would understand how, in most situations, telling a real from fake autograph is quite easy. This knowledge is what experience brings to many, just like in all things in life.

When people ask for an opinion, we give it. I, nor anyone, is obligated to go into details as to why they think an auto is good or bad. Many don't for exactly the reason Steve mentioned.
I find it amusing when people make that statement that they don't mean to offend. They say that as they know what they said is offensive and think that statement somehow makes it less offensive. Perhaps instead of writing it, choose a way to say it that actually isn't offensive. or say nothing if you have nothing constructive to add.

Again, perhaps if you had knowledge about autograph collecting, you would understand that experience can help to account for many of those variables. There are always autos that people do not feel comfortable giving an opinion on because of those situations and we will often opine that we can't tell for sure.

BTW, machines can replicate things precisely. Autopens have been in use since JFK and are able to be spotted often because they are so exact. If you are interested there is a book written in 1965 by Charles Hamilton about JFK's use of the autopen back then.
https://www.amazon.com/Robot-That-He.../dp/B000S3RQ56

Judging autos seems arbitrary to you because you, admittedly, aren't really an autograph collector. If you were, then you would understand that each of us has a method that they feels works for them. Do any of us bat 1000%, of course not, but it certainly isn't arbitrary.
Your two statements here seem contradictory. Judging autos is arbitrary, but wouldn't that make your own opinion the same? Why would you trust the opinion of the least experienced person in the room instead of the most? People come here for opinions as they know that there are many very very experienced collectors and dealers here who will offer their opinion freely. Certainly it makes sense to want to hear their opinion especially if you don't feel you know the signature well.

Just because something can be signed doesn't mean it is. Even if all of Steve's criteria are fulfilled doesn't mean it doesn't have to look like the person's signature. It does. Those loops mean something. If you knew anything about Mantle, you would know that his signature changed in a very distinct ways over the course of his career. Many people can tell a 1955 sig from a 1957 sig quite easily. Once the beginning of the auto boom in the late 70's/early 80's, Mantle took special pride in his auto and was a machine. He could be fall down drunk nearly unconscious and his auto was almost exact.
My father player country music in the 70's and Mantle and Martin would come into a club he played in frequently in Manhattan(O'Lunney's). I have a couple of Mantle autos from those times where he was absolutely hammered to the point of nearly passing out and they look almost identical to standard sig from that era. Again all of this info comes from experience, which you obviously do not have. Just because you don't know this doesn't mean others don't.

This is the exact type of thing someone who knows little about autographs tells themselves to make themselves feel smarter than everyone else. If you knew something about autographs, you would know that it can be very easy to tell bad sigs from good. Just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't.

The take away is that knowledge is power. People here have knowledge and share it freely with pretty much all to all who ask. I think that it is pretty cool that there is a place like this around to help people. I can't count how many people have been steered away from bad purchases by the people in this forum. If you don't think the expertise here has value then you don't have to take advantage of it, but it is rude to ridicule those who offer their assistance freely.
Well written, Mark.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Well written, Mark.
Agreed. It was well written. Doesn't change my feelings at all but it was a good read.

Assess everything, not just a picture on a computer screen...and trust your gut more than anyone else's.

And of course...Use your eyes to view the autograph. That helps immensely.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Agreed. It was well written. Doesn't change my feelings at all but it was a good read.

Assess everything, not just a picture on a computer screen...and trust your gut more than anyone else's.

your feelings should be that 90% of Mantle's autographs are forgeries PERIOD, and hence are very easy to spot at just one glance by someone with a just a little knowledge. Some forgeries are better than others, but this one is putrid, so stop it already. My gut KNOWS this is a forgery, don't need to trust anything but my eyes. It's so easy to tell that if you're still arguing about the way it's done after 4 days you should shave your head and start a rock pile... In good fun of course
Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment, but honestly, I did not write it to change your mind. I wrote it for all those members who might be new or inexperienced with autos and are reading it. I want them to know that your assessment that people's opinions on autos are arbitrary and dubious is, in fact, incorrect.
We agree that using common sense like Steve suggested is worthwhile. You also seem to think that the "gut feeling" is more important than the study of letter formations, the study of the evolution of a specific player's autographs, and player habits. It is not. It is all important to consider when evaluating an auto. You focusing on the gut feeling alone shows your inexperience.
IMO, ignoring the opinion of someone who has more experience and knowledge than you is stupid. It's exactly what you would call someone who has cancer, goes to an oncologist, and then decides they are going to choose different chemo meds because they feel it's better in their "gut," rather than using the opinion of the person who actually knows what they are talking about. It may seem different, but it is not. Refusing to accept knowledge from others who have it is stupid regardless of the circumstances.

You are certainly allowed to have your opinion, but it doesn't make it right. Plenty of people thought the world was flat. Perhaps sticking to offering opinions on football pennants might be better for you as it is what you collect and admittedly autos are not. Your continuing this conversation trying to prove your point, especially reusing the comment about using your eyes to view the auto over and over, reminds me of a famous quote often credited to Abe Lincoln... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-26-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wait a minute...the worlds not flat? What next, there's no Santa? LOL
Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Wait a minute...the worlds not flat? What next, there's no Santa? LOL
nope. No Easter bunny either

Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i find it amusing that non-auto guys would go to this section to find their entertainment or belittle it w/o knowing jack about signatures.

i had the prewar cards bug for many years (still do), and there is a little learning curve with the cut and coloring and variations, but after awhile you can pretty much distinguish between a trim job or an oven-baked reprint from the gallery picture w/o even clicking into the ebay auction.

autographs is a whole different animal with all the nuances and characteristics and styles...we're talking about thousands upon thousands of different types that could take 2-3 lifetimes to study vs the limited amount of cards/sets. i appreciate and have much more respect for the guys over here than the endless is this real or psa suck sgc bad thread #125...the ironic part is without the tpa at least half the people on the main board wouldn't know how to buy while we'd be doing fine over here if alphabet companies are gone.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
My father player country music in the 70's and Mantle and Martin would come into a club he played in frequently in Manhattan(O'Lunney's). I have a couple of Mantle autos from those times where he was absolutely hammered to the point of nearly passing out and they look almost identical to standard sig from that era. Again all of this info comes from experience, which you obviously do not have. Just because you don't know this doesn't mean others don't. .
That's the bit he missed. The questions I ask are just basic
criteria, for someone inexperienced they can eliminate a fair portion of bad stuff, but nowhere near all. That's where having that mental library of the loops etc makes the difference. And why I don't spend much on autographs. Maybe someday, but most of the time I don't feel I'm ready yet.

Quote:

The take away is that knowledge is power. People here have knowledge and share it freely with pretty much all who ask. I think that it is pretty cool that there is a place like this around to help people. I can't count how many people have been steered away from bad purchases by the people in this forum. If you don't think the expertise here has value then you don't have to take advantage of it, but it is rude to ridicule those who offer their assistance freely.
That is also very true. It's easier to spot most bad stuff than good stuff. The help available here is amazing, both as short term help like "is this ok" to longer term learning so you don't have to ask.

To the experienced guys who provide that here's something that needs to be said more often by the rest of us.
Thank you!

Steve B
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
nope. No Easter bunny either
Will this madness never end?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default My Gut Check

I'm sitting here in my recliner with an authentic autographed ball sitting on my gut. Not sure how long I need to wait, but so far my gut is silent.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Mike,
Newsflash: No Tooth Fairy

Frank,
We have meds for that issue

Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm sitting here in my recliner with an authentic autographed ball sitting on my gut. Not sure how long I need to wait, but so far my gut is silent.
This might help.

Maloxx.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment, but honestly, I did not write it to change your mind. I wrote it for all those members who might be new or inexperienced with autos and are reading it. I want them to know that your assessment that people's opinions on autos are arbitrary and dubious is, in fact, incorrect.
We agree that using common sense like Steve suggested is worthwhile. You also seem to think that the "gut feeling" is more important than the study of letter formations, the study of the evolution of a specific player's autographs, and player habits. It is not. It is all important to consider when evaluating an auto. You focusing on the gut feeling alone shows your inexperience.
IMO, ignoring the opinion of someone who has more experience and knowledge than you is stupid. It's exactly what you would call someone who has cancer, goes to an oncologist, and then decides they are going to choose different chemo meds because they feel it's better in their "gut," rather than using the opinion of the person who actually knows what they are talking about. It may seem different, but it is not. Refusing to accept knowledge from others who have it is stupid regardless of the circumstances.

You are certainly allowed to have your opinion, but it doesn't make it right. Plenty of people thought the world was flat. Perhaps sticking to offering opinions on football pennants might be better for you as it is what you collect and admittedly autos are not. Your continuing this conversation trying to prove your point, especially reusing the comment about using your eyes to view the auto over and over, reminds me of a famous quote often credited to Abe Lincoln... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
To be clear...I have nothing against autographs or autograph collecting. It's not the focus of my collection, but I do have autographs in it that I cherish. None of my comments were intended to denigrate the hobby of autograph collecting. I was simply commenting on those that are so confident in their skills that they can give the thumbs up/thumbs down by only viewing an online photo...and offering nothing to back up their "expert" opinion.

I find it particularly amusing when an assessment thread has piggy backing and increasingly confident "bad" responses...only until someone of apparent higher respect and/or skill comes along to say "good"...at which point all the predecessors suddenly change their tune and say..."well...I was on the fence".

If some rely on that to appease their doubts, so be it. It's not for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I was simply commenting on those that are so confident in their skills that they can give the thumbs up/thumbs down by only viewing an online photo...and offering nothing to back up their "expert" opinion.
Do you own a Mantle autograph item?

By the way, my method of opining autographs works for me. That's all that matters.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 07-26-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
To be clear...I have nothing against autographs or autograph collecting. It's not the focus of my collection, but I do have autographs in it that I cherish. None of my comments were intended to denigrate the hobby of autograph collecting. I was simply commenting on those that are so confident in their skills that they can give the thumbs up/thumbs down by only viewing an online photo...and offering nothing to back up their "expert" opinion.

I find it particularly amusing when an assessment thread has piggy backing and increasingly confident "bad" responses...only until someone of apparent higher respect and/or skill comes along to say "good"...at which point all the predecessors suddenly change their tune and say..."well...I was on the fence".

If some rely on that to appease their doubts, so be it. It's not for me.
Real world analogy:

Ten family physicians say you don't have cancer, then a world renowned oncologist says you do. Who do you trust? Maybe the family physicians might reconsider their original opinions in light of this?

I am generally most interested in Mantle rookie era signatures. I have a very good "feel" for them as I seek them out and pay attention to them when I see them. I am not nearly as interested in his show era signature, though I do admire it as a thing of beauty. Thus I haven't studied this version of his signature, though I do know a few things to look for. That said, there are some on this forum who have seen tens of thousands of examples of his show era signature...good examples and bad. These are the real experts on his show era signature and I will defer to them 100% of the time.

Not sure how else to put it. I don't understand why it would be in any way controversial to defer to the true experts in the field?

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 07-26-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Rob

Quote:
Do you own a Mantle autograph item?

By the way, my method of opining autographs works for me. That's all that matters.
i've owned and sold several over the past few years. Acquired as part of collections I've picked up. None were certified. All were sold as authentic with no complaints. And I had no doubt they were authentic. It would be highly unlikely they were fake given the quality of the collections and collectors I acquired them from. I'm not even close to being a Mantle expert, but his is one autograph I feel I do know better than most.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

My question is why are you guys even answering him.You are writing full pages of arguments and he is laughing at you.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Shelly,
I agree.
As I said in one of my replies, I wrote my points for those silent members who only read and don't comment. I don't want his opinion to become a source of misinformation for those less experienced. The idea that autograph opinions are arbitrary and dubious, like his, do create a negative spin on auto collecting. Opinions in auto collecting are no different than any other subject in life. If you want to know about Black holes, opinions from Astrophysicists carry more weight than those of a Social Worker(no offense to social workers. just needed an example as far away from physics as possible). I try to educate correctly that autos, like all collectibles, do have risk, but can be made safer by study and careful consideration.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Shelly,
I agree.
As I said in one of my replies, I wrote my points for those silent members who only read and don't comment. I don't want his opinion to become a source of misinformation for those less experienced. The idea that autograph opinions are arbitrary and dubious, like his, do create a negative spin on auto collecting. Opinions in auto collecting are no different than any other subject in life. If you want to know about Black holes, opinions from Astrophysicists carry more weight than those of a Social Worker(no offense to social workers. just needed an example as far away from physics as possible). I try to educate correctly that autos, like all collectibles, do have risk, but can be made safer by study and careful consideration.
and many of us are fairly specialized in our collecting (I ONLY collect Braves autos for example and aside from the few of the big stars, only the autos of players from the teams of the 70's to today) this has made it easier to learn MY area as it isn't cost effective for fakers to peddle common player autos to make $8 so I have spent a lot of time looking at Aaron's Matthews, Spahn's Chipper...etc to the point where I feel I could spot a fake right away (with the lone exception of a recent Aaron as they are so messy I think you could fake one in person nearly and it could pass).

Like you said, I wouldn't ask me for my Mantle opinion, but for others who have seen hundreds+ of them, why shouldn't their opinion count? I know if there was a new guy popping in here with questions on some Braves stuff I would do my best to help, even if that help only amounts to "shrug, looks good to me"
Old 07-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
My question is why are you guys even answering him.You are writing full pages of arguments and he is laughing at you.
Of course. The best way to make your point is to stick your head in the sand at the first sign of differing opinion.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Shelly,
I agree.
My opinion could never become a source of misinformation because it is accurate. Autograph authentication is nothing more than opinion and the only guarantee that anything is real is if you see the person sign it. Where is the misinformation?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
My opinion could never become a source of misinformation because it is accurate. Autograph authentication is nothing more than opinion and the only guarantee that anything is real is if you see the person sign it. Where is the misinformation?
The issue is that you don't seem to differentiate between the credibility of said "opinions."

The educated opinion of a credible expert is not the same as the opinion of a chat board participant who is basing their opinion on nothing more than a loose set of guidelines and little experience. The opinion of a credible expert, while not a guarantee, does provide a very high level of accuracy.

I don't get the derisive comments about autograph authentication being "only an opinion"... Like everything else in the world is purely scientifically based.

Guess what... The world runs on opinions. A lawyer is offering a legal opinion on how you should proceed. A doctor offers his or her opinion on the best course of treatment. A financial advisor provides you with advice based on his or her opinion. A public relations consultant's strategy is based on his or her opinion. A politician crafts an agenda based on opinion. The guy remodeling your home is going to use his opinion to determine best approach and materials. And on and on...