NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-21-2023, 05:35 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Damaged WWII baseball trophy - Not sure what to do now...

One of the coolest items I had in my WWII baseball collection was a trophy that former MLBer Barney McCosky received for having the most RBI's in the baseball league they held in Hawaii for troops. I picked as part of a collection of WWII items years ago.

Recently I traded the trophy as part of a deal for a different really cool WWII baseball item, but as you can see in the pictures, it did not survive the trip with USPS.

I had insurance on the package, but the Post Office says regarding filing that there needs to be some substantiation of the value.

I am sure that many people here have dealt with damaged items that did not have any clear market value.

I'd love any thoughts on how to handle the situation.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McCosky WWII Trophy RBI.jpg (203.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg McCosky broken 2.jpg (213.2 KB, 351 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

USPS insurance is a joke. You’re not going to get anything. Looks like it can be repaired by a knowledgeable trophy expert, but probably something that now gets to stay in your collection. Not sure what it’s worth, but everything over 1k I send registered mail and overpack it with bubble wrap and packing peanuts. It’s always sad when something that has managed to survive 50-100 years gets trashed by the post office. UPS and FedEx are no different. Good luck
Old 02-21-2023, 11:48 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default trophy

Looks pretty fixable to me. Maybe talk to a local trophy shop for assistance.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:38 AM
Adam B

At least the damage seems very repairable. If the top photo is how it will display after the damage I would epoxy the pieces myself. The value is the McCoskey provenance. Very cool piece! I’m intrigued by the team photo. I have a nice Great Lakes pennant from 1943 with Cohrane.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:49 AM
Jim Murphy

Alway take apart a trophy for mailing
Old 02-22-2023, 10:46 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The base can probably be repaired. I would scour eBay for a similar base of that exact size (on a non-baseball trophy of lesser value). There will be many to choose from.

Was the Bat in his hands when you sent it, or did it break off as well? The Batter's arms and body are blocking that space in the lone "before" photo. If the bat broke off, and if you still have it, that will be a tougher repair which will likely require a professional restorer.

If you repair it and want to sell, you'll need to disclose the restoration. So as stated above, perhaps it's now permanently slated for your personal collection. I hope the PO comes through for you, but wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:13 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Last year I had my first "lost package from USPS" normally I don't insure but it was late November and it was going to Ca. My first request for payment from USPS was declined, But..They sent me rules, so at least I understood what to do. Even then I was turned down all the way until final appeal. I won because I broke down the rules and showed exactly how I had provided proof for each one. Took almost 6 months and alot of time.
My Suggestion is that you have the trophy repaired right away. Then your fight iwith USPS s for the repair costs, which you can establish. I say right away because there are strict timelines. If repairs are going to take some time then file with your estimate.
If you could establish value by estimates from dealers you might win the fight but the trophy would go to the USPS which would trash it. That seems like a real shame.
Any specific questions send me a PM or an email.
Hope this helps
Jonathan
Old 02-22-2023, 09:00 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I appreciate the responses.

I actually traded away the trophy as part of a deal, so trying to figure out how to get USPS to cover the damage, and then separately will need to figure out what the value is with the damage, to make the other party whole. The latter part I am sure I can work out with the person I traded with, but the first part is more challenging.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

A friend had a cylinder phonograph damaged in the mail, and had to provide a quote for repairs.
Fortunately there was a local business that sold serviced and repaired them, so getting a quote was easy. USPS paid based on the quote.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:24 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
A friend had a cylinder phonograph damaged in the mail, and had to provide a quote for repairs.
Fortunately there was a local business that sold serviced and repaired them, so getting a quote was easy. USPS paid based on the quote.
Does such a phonograph have collectible/historical value? A trophy like this one definitely does, and the damage impacts that.

I filed a claim with USPS based on other baseball trophies of similar size. None were for the exact same thing of course, but sent a range of them and hope they will agree that the value should likely fall somewhere in that range. We will see...
Old 03-05-2023, 07:23 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

sorry to hear.
Good luck with it and keep us up to date

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson