NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Are collectors finally discovering the T212 sets?

Posted By: Bob

I wondered how long it would be before the T212 sets (09, both 10s, 11) started to take off. I have been chagrined that the T210 minor league set (Old Mill) has really caught fire and the Obaks had not, since the Obaks are by far better looking IMHO (I collect both). Not only have the 1910 series of 175 set and 1911 set started to catch fire, especially in nice condition, but the scarce 150 series from 1910 has really caught the attention of a number of collectors based on the BST activity and recent ebay sales. The 150 series cards, of course, are the rarest of all the Obaks and I would argue they are just as tough as the 1909s which have traditionally been considered the most dificult of all Obaks to find. Apparently a long time collector of PCL cards consigned his collection of 150 series cards to a dealer and they have been on ebay the last 2 weeks for sale.
The only thing saving the Obak 150 series collectors from seeing the price of these cards go through the roof is that SGC refuses to list the 150 series cards on its Registry for some bizarre reason (actually they should be considered T212-4) and there are so few graded by PSA that you don't have the Registry hounds going after these cards and competiting with each other and setting exorbitant prices for the cards. At least not yet...

Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

While I enjoy the Obak sets they arent chalk full of big major league baseball HOF'ers nor are they super tough. I think they are priced about right relative to other sets. T210's are so darn condition sensitive that if you have a real nice one you deserve to be well compensated for it, and those 6 and 7 series are awfully tough. Overall a great looking cards, but I cant see T212 "exploding" price wise relative to other sets

Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I would argue that the 150 subjects are tougher than 1909 -- but both are very much tougher than 1911 or 1910 175 subjects.

As for current & future popularity, I am perfectly happy that T212s don't currently get the recognition for set aesthetics and scarcity. If they did, prices would increase dramatically from the current market.

I also don't buy the theory that they never will be recognized due to lack of familiar players. T209 and T210 get more attention than T212 from bidders, yet don't boast any better selection of players (HOFers, etc.).

The Pacific Coast and Northwestern Leagues were closer to major leagues than people realize. Many talented players chose to stay on the west coast rather than going east. And minor leagues as we know them today didn't materialize until Branch Rickey's efforts in the 1930s and later.

I don't believe there to be a more attractive and visually stunning T set than the Obaks.

Brian

Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Hull

I agree with Brian. I think the 1911 Obaks in particular are some of the most visually attractive baseball cards ever produced.

Many high grade examples from a near complete set I used to own can be seen at my website: www.jimonym.com

Jamie

Old 03-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

Being from Seattle, I've had a growing interest in PCL stuff over the past year or so. With every book I read, I find there are more and more stars that started or played in the PCL and that interests me a lot (Hal Chase, Dolly Gray, Joe Dimaggio)

BUT... as far as the Obaks, I blame you... TBOB!!! Your post about searching 8 years to complete the 150 backs piqued a LOT of interest in these cards... I now have a few and they are some of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. I like the later ones with stats on the back and I like the earlier ones with the slogans... I wish I had gotten into them sooner, I don't think that they will be AS expensive as others, but I am already seeing names I know that weren't bidding on them a month ago buying them like crazy now!

Thanks for helping kickstart this set again!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Thanks for the link Jamie. Those are incredible when viewed all together.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Leon

Please lock this thread

I think we should turn our attention to pins, and how hot the market is for them.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I could just delete this and all references to T212's for the history of the board. I blame it all on Tbob . I think we just need to corner him (hi Tbob) at the National and pry out of him what he is going after next.....that way we can get a jump on the price swing....regards

Old 03-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I have seen a steady climb in prices for the 1911 Obaks, which I collect, over the last few years. High-end graded examples have sold for big money because one buyer, in particular, has been willing to pay insane amounts to win at all costs. With that being said, Pacific Coast League items across the board have become harder and harder to find. People are just holding on to cards longer, and they are staying in collections.

Prices with regards to the T210 Old Mill set have really fluctuated over the past few years. The T210s went from being really underpriced to really overpriced almost over night. Several of the major auction houses then sold several huge holdings of these cards, which sold again for big bucks. After this big sell-off, there seemed to be a correction in the T210 market as prices came back down to Earth. I also noticed that the interest in the set also dropped off again considerably. Collectors may have decided to sell off their small holdings. The high prices may have scared individuals away from collecting the set.

Patrick

Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

People don't realize that back in 1909-11, the PCL was almost as good as the AL and NL and was considered by many to be the 3rd major league. Notice I said almost. As far as not very major leaguers in the Obak set, that is just plain wrong. There is a good percentage of players in the PCL and NWL who played in the majors, most on their way up but a lot on their way down.
I also respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks the 150 back cards aren't scarce. Again, a recent consignment has put several on ebay but before that, they were as scarce to find as the D310s and D311s.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

"People don't realize that back in 1909-11, the PCL was almost as good as the AL and NL and was considered by many to be the 3rd major league."

I noticed, that's why I said so earlier in the thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I am well aware there are a plethora of ML players that are in the OBAK sets. I have the old VCBC that shows all the players in the OBAK set that played atleast some ML ball. My point was that the set just isnt loaded with big names(theres a few) Its an awesome looking set, and might be a bit undervalued still, id like to have more!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

1909 is one of my favorite sets. The first prewar set I tried to complete (still working on it, but only 1 away). The 150 series are a close second to the 09s. They remind me of one another. The muted colors & the background scenes. Anyway this is in the top 10 of my favorite all-time cards. The scans definitely do not do the card justice. As far as a player, Babe was a pretty good 1st baseman who had a 6 game ML career with Boston. Maybe a bit overshadowed by Dillon at his position, he was also a pretty good hitter, I think he won a PCL batting title. I seem to remember this somewhere but can't find it. Does anyone else know for sure?

GO SOLONS!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/danziba01.shtml

Old 03-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Ok, bid on my cards on ebay.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Matthew,

Danzig won the PCL batting title in 1908. He hit .298 in 180 games played.

Brian

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DCUnited96

The answer to the original question is yes. Compared to what I paid for common T212's two years ago, prices have gone through the roof. As an example, I bought a 1911 PSA5 card uncontested for $80 (and I thought I overpaid at the time), now you can't touch a PSA3 card for that kind of money.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I don't know about all T212s... but it seems to me that the eBay auction prices for slabbed "150" series Obaks are really getting up there.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: doubleday

For what it's worth, I'm a newbie and I'm fascinated with T212. I wish my wallet shared my fascination.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Now that Kevin Savage has sold his consignment of 150s on ebay, you'll notice that any listings for them have once again disappeared. The 1909s have been pretty few and far between also.
One thing I have noticed about Obak collectors is they generally work toward completing the set and the cards they buy tend to go in to collections, never again to see the light of day.