NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default New T206 Collector Here...couple quick questions...

Posted By: Mark

I have recently begun collecting T206s, including both graded and ungraded. I see PSA having the largest share of the grading but several others as well, including SGC, GAI, and Beckett.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. Does it matter which organization graded & authenticated a card in terms of its credibility and valudation. In other words, all things being equal, am I better going with PSA for grading because it is more prevalent or does it matter?

2. I see that each organization had a mail-in program to get cards graded. Is that the customary way or is it best to go to a regional show and have it done in person.

3. Is there a "rule of thumb" about the cost of grading so that you can compare a graded card's cost to an ungraded card's cost in an apples to apples way. For example, if I am looking at a Walter Johnson card graded PSA 2 and it costs $450 and I am looking at an ungraded card of WJ that looks about a 2, what should its equivalent value be? $400?

Thanks to the group in advance for any help you can give me on these questions.

Mark

Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Mark- all three grading companies are good; collectors have their preference, and mine is SGC. They seem to be very consistent and well respected. As far as how to get them graded, some people like to do it in person at shows but it is perfectly safe to mail them. Make sure you insure them for what you feel is their full value. Finally, if you are looking ahead to resale value, I would get all HOFers graded and all commons at least VG/VG-EX. The grading will always pay for itself and then some. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

1. All are reputable. Some believe that PSA sells for slightly more than the others. I think in the high grades, that may be true but there is no real difference in the lower grades. I prefer SGC. Their holders are nicer and they are more consistent. Any cards I buy that are graded by psa I send to sgc to get regraded/crossed over.

2. I mail all my cards in. Send them in a sturdy cardboard box. Cards should have thick cardboard on each side and bubble wrap. Definitely insure them.

3. I think lately there is very little difference in price b/t raw and graded if there is no question regarding the authenticity of the ungraded card. If there is, you can get great deals on raw cards, but you may also get stuck with an altered or counterfiet card.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Mark,

good luck in collecting. I agree with the above and I purchase and sell PSA cards and ungraded cards and sometimes I will have SGC cards mostly for my collection pre-war mostly - so if you get SGC T206 cards that is a good investment. Cardboard is the best way to protect them unless you want to pay for packing supplies when shipping. In person is okay as well, I have customers that give me the cards to grade for them. There is a big difference sometimes in price for ungraded vs. graded cards. Read the board and view auction sales and see what dealers are selling T206 cards for. The card you mention is very popular, so expect to pay around 300.00 for ungraded and 450.00-500.00 graded. Cards like Johnson, Mathewson and Cobb sell very well so the prices are always up and down. Solid PSA 5 examples sell very well. There are a lot of folks at the “National this week” but I am sure more people will respond, we are all here to help

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

All three you mention are popular and respected with collectors to deliver a service, and each has it's vagaries you'll tend to notice over time. Generally it's the slight differences and tendencies that sway collectors to a particular grading company, not the return on investment.....generally .

My preferences:
SGC for 1870's - 1981
Beckett 1982 - today.

I think you'll tend to pay 10%-25% more for the same card graded, less if the card is in poor condition and not a highly sought player. This rule of thumb can be thrown out if the card is scarce and or particularly valuable (in which case desperate collectors will gladly pay high prices for the chance to just own an example of that card), or where a buyer feels the grade suggested by the seller is lower than he/she thinks they can achieve on submission. Eg. Card is listed as 'good' condition - potentially a '2' if graded by a grading company, but the buyer feels the card will actually grade a '3' if presented to SGC. In this case, the buyer might want to risk/chance paying same or slightly more for this card than a similar card already graded a 2 by SGC. It's risky, and because grading companies are pretty tough on condition issues, often you'll lose a half or full grade on what you think the card will grade. If you're right, you will probably add 30% to the value of the card post grading.

If you chose to join the slabbing madness, you've got to be prepared to leave your ego and over critical eye at the door. You will agree and disagree with grades assigned all the days of your life - and if it takes away from your enjoyment of the hobby I would advise collecting raw.
Now if you like the archival nature of the slabs, some peace of mind regarding authenticity and approx. grade, and the ability to handle the cards casually and confidently - even passing them around to your kids and family, then Grading can really enhance your experience in the hobby.

All the best collecting.

Daniel

Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Mark,

It's no secret that there is a strong preference for SGC on this board. While I think SGC is a fine company and agree that they have superior holders, I will say that if you choose to use PSA as your primary grading service for mid- to high-grade T206 (as I have done) you may on average get slightly more for your cards upon resale. I believe this modest price disparity is due in large part to the strength of the PSA Set Registry relative to the SGC Set Registry. I would avoid GAI and BVG since they do not have a strong presence in the T206 market which results in substantial discounting of T206 cards in their holders.

Scot

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

In the past couple of months, T206s in BVG holders have sold pretty well. I keep an occasional eye on them cuz you can sometimes get a good deal, but recently they've been selling well.

Rob

Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Like most have stated, all three grading companies are reputable. I prefer raw cards, but I do buy graded cards from all three companies and crackem out later.

My advice is to learn about the cards and what they should look like. Then the holder will not matter as much. You can buy the card that you like, then resubmit it later to your favorite grading company.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

My preference is graded for high-dollar value cards
Pre 1950 = SGC
1950 and later = PSA

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Thanks everyone for all your help...as a neophyte, and considering the dollars involved...the more information one has, the better. Having said that, I have plunged ahead on this very cool quest...

I am collecting all Washington Nationals cards (I know this is wierd, but I came from that area)..then will move onto to HOFers. Does anyone have a low-grade Kid Eberfeld portrait they would like to sell?

I am so far 50/50 graded and non-graded.

My only concern is my wife's reaction to my large PayPal bills

Thanks again,

Mark

Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

1. I prefer SGC for my T206 card grading needs, because of their expertise, consistency, attractiveness of holder and because I have owned too many over-graded/improperly graded PSA cards

2. I almost always just mail them via UPS or USPS with tracking, insurance, etc.

3. If both sides can agree that a VG card would grade a 3, it should sell for what a 3 sells for. The price of the same raw card would drop in relation to the graded card depending on how much risk is involved in the assessment of the raw card's condition.