NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Jay Miller

I got my March 11 SCD yesterday anxious to read all the hot hobby news that the paper is famous for. No sooner do I get started then I come across an article that immediately brings me to a state of depression. A major auction has taken place with some great vintage material, hammered down at rock bottom prices, and I missed it. A Ruth/Gehrig autographed baseball--$1157; a Walter Johnson autographed photo--$406; a George Wright cut signiture--$486; a Billy Hamilton autograph--$739. Americana offered similar deals: a rare 1960s evening gown worn by Vivien Leigh--$152; a guitar signed by Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones--$650. Coach's Corner--what great deals. I would have thought that there were some typos on these prices but it appears that SCD brought in a special writter for the article (Ted Taylor, Coach's Corner) so I guess they were correct. I thought it was unusual for a representative of an auction house to write an article for SCD (I think that is what the ", Coach's Corner" after Mr. Taylor's name means) but perhaps the staff writers were busy on other projects.

On a seperate note, nice career move for Josh Evans returning to SCD. Josh notes that "The controversial area of fakes, forgeries and the forgers themselves is the closest to my heart and soul. It is an area of genuine concern in the hobby, and in some ways it is worse than it has ever been. But there is no reason that we cannot continue to work to change that." You've got the ball Josh, let's see you run with it.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Richard Simon

I guess I got to start subscribing to that magazine again, I cannot miss opportunities like this again.
---------

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: barrysloate

Maybe their autographs are real but they go for so little because the print in their ads is too small and only those with really good eyesight can read them.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

WTG,,

Old 03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

I'm a little behind in my abbreviations. What does WTG mean? I hope it's a compliment.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Julie , UNDEPRESSED

and sometimes a Robert Edwards, but not this time, I do not miss my lapsed subscription at all, nor do I think J.E. is going to do a bang-up job on fakes, copies and question marks--whoops, that's an exhibit at the Asian Art Museum....

Looking forward to the Old Cardboard #3; mourn VCBC...

Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Way to Go! It took me this long to figure it out. Thank you.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Julie

Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

WTG , Barry

---

Old 03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Cap

"Say it ain't so Jo.....sh"

Cap

I can see that your head has been twisted and fed by worthless foam from the mouth-Bob Dylan

Old 03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I love small print .

An auction some 10 yrs ago...due to small print, fetched me a Batoff Cobb in VGx
and a E95 Cobb in gvg for 290.00 !!....i just love small print !

Old 03-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

But you need good eyesight. But I agree; I do remember the days when you could spend hours scouring SCD and if you worked hard enough you could come up with some really neat stuff. You may find this amazing, but listen to this story: there are three known N172 Anson in Uniforms in the hobby. One of the three was originally offered in an SCD classified ad. Can you imagine that? It was a two line auction. I can remember bidding $1200 on it and losing it to a bid of $1250. This goes back over fifteen years. You won't find something like that in SCD anymore.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Julie

(It's No Question About That, and if you never saw it before, that's O.K. because I just made it up. Feel free to use it...or not...)

I picked out a small print autographed Reese photo from one of those endless ads in small print, called the guy, said "can you find me a nice one? Sure," he said. Photo arrived, just barely in underexposed codachrome, with Reese kneeling in the batter's circle, I guess, unless he was in church--it was so dark, you couldn't be sure. (Handwriting was fine, though...pen and all...)

Not the greatest deal, NQAT, IMHO.