NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

Default 1936 Joltin' Joe

Does this look like the same card? Especially from the backside. What would make this jump from a SGC 5 to a 7?

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...maggio-rookie/

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...tPosition=40|0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936-v355-world-wide-gum-joe-dimaggio-rookie.jpg (70.6 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 1936-v355-world-wide-gum-joe-dimaggio-rookie-2.jpg (53.7 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg lf.jpg (57.1 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg lf (1).jpg (65.4 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by WWG; 03-26-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Richard L.

Thinner borders lol....appears to be same card.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

I think it is the same... looks like someone cleaned it up a bit. Yikes!! This is bad!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The card on the right appears to be smaller

Thanks...I'll be here all week.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I'm not saying it's a rigged game, but the person sending it in can make a big difference.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Unless it's been "enhanced" the corners on the 7 are much nicer.

Has it been trimmed? The Heritage scan can be blown up pretty far and I don't see anything really off about the edges. If it's been done, it was done really well.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I'm not saying it's a rigged game, but the person sending it in can make a big difference.
This does not appear to be a case of the person submitting it the second time getting a higher grade. Based on the backs of both cards they are the same card however the corners are much sharper on the SGC 7. Appears to be an altered card.

Good find to the OP and it is amazingly (scary) what can be done to cardboard. Makes me wonder just how many cards in my collection were in much lower graded slabs at one time.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Thanx, when i spent the day yesterday jacking the price up on it.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
Does this look like the same card? Especially from the backside. What would make this jump from a SGC 5 to a 7?

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...maggio-rookie/

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...tPosition=40|0
As a collector with a lot of cards, graded and ungraded, bought over many years from many shows, dealers, and auctions, this is really discouraging every time I see another one of these.

One aspect that is particularly discouraging is that no one on this board is surprised in the least. We congratulate the original poster for his great finding, and we move on and buy our next NM, NM-MT, or MT card that TPG's have certified as legitimate examples of an unaltered mint or nearly mint card.

For those looking for unique or hard to find cards and who do not have a long-term relationship with a reputable dealer, we are left with the options of a.) stopping collecting,
b.) buying lower grade or raw examples, or
c.) continuing to buy "certified" cards which we know are more and more likely to have been doctored for profit by a card tailor (alteration expert).

At some point if enough of this happens, there will be a tipping point. The collections we have spent good money on are sure to see a valuation impact. The valuation of this type of high-condition card is based on a combination of demand and scarcity.

If the scarcity can be addressed just by slicing off 1/16th of an inch on a border, how is that much different than just having another copy printed/made? Both outcomes reduce scarcity/increase supply, which in turn should reduce value in a market that is so sensitive to relative scarcity of high-condition examples.

Sorry for the rambling but this is really discouraging.

Q: Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
A: I've been to the card tailor.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

The valuation, with due respect, is based primarily on the flip. Everyone knows there are lots of high grade altered cards in slabs. In times past the thought of an altered card was anathema, but times have changed. Prices have not been affected at all as far as I can tell, nor will they be IMO. They keep going up. Way up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-26-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM

Definitely not surprised, and was always glad I made the conscious decision many a moon ago to collect lower condition cards...the trimming is usually a lot more obvious.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19th077.jpg (31.4 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg e107520.jpg (68.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg goudeyfoxx488.jpg (80.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg joejacksont202569.jpg (81.9 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg t202walsh579.jpg (76.5 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg smallgoudeygehringer706.jpg (72.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg w514gandilf042.jpg (63.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg e220wingo255.jpg (74.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg e90hartzell761.jpg (67.6 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg waltermailsoconnell678.jpg (76.9 KB, 291 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 PM

I believe the grading companies would at least be able to identify my cards as trimmed...I think.

Brian
Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
As a collector with a lot of cards, graded and ungraded, bought over many years from many shows, dealers, and auctions, this is really discouraging every time I see another one of these.

One aspect that is particularly discouraging is that no one on this board is surprised in the least. We congratulate the original poster for his great finding, and we move on and buy our next NM, NM-MT, or MT card that TPG's have certified as legitimate examples of an unaltered mint or nearly mint card.

For those looking for unique or hard to find cards and who do not have a long-term relationship with a reputable dealer, we are left with the options of a.) stopping collecting,
b.) buying lower grade or raw examples, or
c.) continuing to buy "certified" cards which we know are more and more likely to have been doctored for profit by a card tailor (alteration expert).

At some point if enough of this happens, there will be a tipping point. The collections we have spent good money on are sure to see a valuation impact. The valuation of this type of high-condition card is based on a combination of demand and scarcity.

If the scarcity can be addressed just by slicing off 1/16th of an inch on a border, how is that much different than just having another copy printed/made? Both outcomes reduce scarcity/increase supply, which in turn should reduce value in a market that is so sensitive to relative scarcity of high-condition examples.

Sorry for the rambling but this is really discouraging.

Q: Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
A: I've been to the card tailor.
YUP!!! While the tpg’ers continue to “print money” with their grading practices...and many AH’s continue to push these cards along...in many instances shilling all the way...as long as their wallets keep getting filled...combined with many involved in the hobby not really caring...and as repeated instances of wrongdoing go unpunished...ultimately the collectors will pay a price...its just a matter of time.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Where there is money there will always be corruption . Just the way it works unfortunately. This has been going on for so long and the blind eyes will remain as long as their is no accountability. Ive moved to collecting more antique memorabilia and antiques in general because of this. The new stuff is just as bad....used to be game worn/game used with pictures of the jersey or bat on the card and the companies would guarantee it, now its worded so vague and the sticker autograph and redemption crap is such a reach. I love cards but have lost all faith in the industry. Grading has become just another angle to scam more people. Only way to stop it or curb it is have an unbiased machine or program do the grading so all you tech guys get on it!

Last edited by hanes1111; 03-27-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Hopefully, those engineers out west who are patenting that digital grading system get their act together quickly and come out as a new more foolproof TPG...would eliminate the crack and resubmit issue...and force the existing ones to clean up their act or disappear...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 03-27-2019 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Added sentence
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Hopefully, those engineers out west who are patenting that digital grading system get their act together quickly and come out as a new more foolproof TPG...would eliminate the crack and resubmit issue...and force the existing ones to clean up their act or disappear...
Sure...and good luck getting the millions of cards that have already been graded...REGRADED...at further expense...and at RISK of major devaluation.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 AM

I would love to see the authorities get involved and tell Heritage to pull the card from the auction. But instead of sending it back to the owner, they tell Heritage to hold it for them so they can book it as evidence. Then they can go back and find who the owner was who doctored or who had the card doctored. Then maybe some people will be going to jail for this.

My wishful thought for the day....

David
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Sure...and good luck getting the millions of cards that have already been graded...REGRADED...at further expense...and at RISK of major devaluation.
Well, I don't think anyone's expecting that to be the immediate consequence, but whenever it becomes clear that the robot graders are better than their human counterparts, the PSA and SGC slabs will start looking a lot more like GAI slabs. Or there will be a merger, and one of those companies will lay off all its graders.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Well once that automated system proves itself the legacy TPG's product will start to eventually look to be less desirable… Who would want a card graded 9 that could've possibly have been viewed as doctored versus once that can be shown to be 100% free of that stigma?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 03-27-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 03-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
There's a play by David Mamet called The Water Engine. I recommend it highly.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-27-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
If that happens, "eye appeal" will turn into "cold electronic eye appeal."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
If that happens, "eye appeal" will turn into "cold electronic eye appeal."
It shouldn't be too hard to plug in human eye appeal ratings for a bunch of cards and have a computer extract the relevant variables (image contrast, color saturation, location of damage relative to location of the player's face, etc.) so that it can judge eye appeal well enough to pass a Net54 Turing test. Could even use fMRI data if we want to get really fancy, but I think a simple 1-10 scale from the humans would be sufficient.