NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Kev1n @1les

Default Considering selling everything - Final Update/Tally

I have a set run from 57 on. I have collected and upgraded with over 10 grand in graded cards alone per VCP.

This week, I made the worst mistake of my life. It is a long story but an inquiries about a 56 Topps lot kept leading to other stuff which led to me filing out to Phoenix committed to buy a collection. In my mind I thought that there was massive competition for it and I wanted to lock it up before the locals came in and swooped it up. I had projected this glorious collection that he described and pictured a scenario where I could keep the cool stuff, sell off the parts, and then maybe buy my wife a diamond or take a vacation with all that was left over. I am by no means a dealer, but I had the cash liquid. I felt like the only the separating us was opportunity because I had the liquidity

I didn't sleep for 3 days. I was convinced that I was Mr. Mint which led to me committing on the phone. It was over $14,000

I flew out Wednesday. My flight was delayed 2 hours. I was flying back the same day. It was still no excuse.

My wife was frighted that I would get killed. I worried that it was a scam

I met up with him. I was relieved that he was normal like me. As I went through his stuff, it was nice but not like I imagined. It was devoid of stars and condition was only okay. It had tons of vintage autographed stuff that is outside of my scope and focus.

It didn't feel right. However, I had committed to him on the phone and felt obligated as dumb as this now sounds saying it out. I had boxed myself into a corner and left me no outs.

On the plane, I went through some of the higher end pieces again and all of a sudden, my stupidity hit me like a ton of bricks. There was nothing wrong or malice. He simply over valued his collection. I took his price to mean he had that value in it and created a competitive scenario in my head. I don't consider myself dumb, but I just gave away my sons upcoming car for a bunch of 50s mid grade commons, some autographs, and some cool memorabilia that has a little value - oh and some 56 topps that weren't as good as they look in the picture and I'll have to upgrade.

When I got home and really started looking at the collection, I got sick to my stomach literally. The euphoria that I had since Saturday went away in an instance as I realized what I had done. I had lost control and couldn't listen to reason because I built best case scenario in my head and wanted to land the Phoenix find.

Now I am chunking it out piece by piece. Every time I walk by it, I get I'll. yet I need to play the EBay game to try to recoup something.

My wife is great. We cried together a bit yesterday - not about the cash - it was from savings and not earmarked (although I would have preferred not to do it). It was more about the fact that she didn't like it for many reasons but didn't speak up. She knew I was excited and she deferred to my 'expertise'

We agreed that I would step back for a while. The money that I spend per month on cards will be used to pay back savings. It will take a year to 18 months.

However, now - every time that I walk by my safe of cards, I want to vomit. It has been my passion these last few years but it led to this terrible mistake.

I am wondering if I should just liquidate. I have a ton into it so please no PMs as I am not doing it for money - I need to replenish what I lost but we are perfectly fine. The cards will just serve as a continual reminder of the dumbest thing I ever did or will ever do.

If I decide to punt, I might reach out to a few guys that I know and trust. I made a 13k mistake. I don't want to compound it - but I am in a bad mental state right now.

Thanks for letting me vent

My name is Kevin and I am a certifiable idiot/trainwreck.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 03-01-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Tom Boblitt

The first thing to do is nothing. Sit back for 3 months and just forget it like it didn't happen. You said that you are fine, so just chalk it up. We all make mistakes. After chilling out for a while, try to sell as much of the collection you bought as you can. If you sell $6k, then you made a $7k mistake. Sell $10k, you made a $3k mistake. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water right away as the old saying goes. Try the BST here and sell of some stuff. There's lots of people very interested in vintage autographed stuff. Take your time and ask people for help when you need it. Study ebay completed auction prices on autographed stuff and educate yourself on what you think you don't know. Hopefully, you can minimize the problem and amount of money you're out and move on from there. Don't compound one bad decision with another......
Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Eric Pugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
The first thing to do is nothing. Sit back for 3 months and just forget it like it didn't happen. You said that you are fine, so just chalk it up. We all make mistakes. After chilling out for a while, try to sell as much of the collection you bought as you can. If you sell $6k, then you made a $7k mistake. Sell $10k, you made a $3k mistake. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water right away as the old saying goes. Try the BST here and sell of some stuff. There's lots of people very interested in vintage autographed stuff. Take your time and ask people for help when you need it. Study ebay completed auction prices on autographed stuff and educate yourself on what you think you don't know. Hopefully, you can minimize the problem and amount of money you're out and move on from there. Don't compound one bad decision with another......
Good luck!
Exactly.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Good luck!
+1. Very nice suggestions.

Kevin- As I have said, this won't be your biggest financial mistake in life. (most likely). I could name a dozen I have done and came out ok, and I am a little fish on a budget. Just be glad you didn't buy some restaurants.....or get out of the stock market at the exact wrong time. Don't let this one issue completely stop you from collecting. There is more good than bad, by far, in the hobby. Chalk it up, recoup what you can, sit back and reflect for while, then come back with a bit more experience and yours eyes a bit more open. It's ok. And I moved this thread so others can have a cautionary tale to consider when doing their own deals. Many, if not most times, they aren't what they seem.

Last edited by Leon; 08-29-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Larry More.y

Kevin, I had something similar happen to me, however, not quite to the extent. I bought a run of vintage(50s-60s) cards (sight unseen) for several thousand dollars. The condition was hyped by the seller. When I received the cards and went through them, I had the same sick feeling I imagine you experienced. I too did not want to back out as I felt that I had made a commitment, so I was stuck with them.

Over the past 15 years or so, I have bought nearly 2 dozen deals like this and had never had a concern....the difference between these other deals and this one was that I normally buy from people I have had other satisfactory transactions with. I owned the fact that I hoped that this deal would be just like all the others...it was not.

I did exactly what Tom recommended, and that was absolutely nothing for several months. I finally sorted the cards out and began the tedious process of selling them on ebay as singles as I realized that this was my only chance to recoup my original investment. As Tom also mentioned, I studied previous sale prices and listed the cards with reasonable fixed prices in order to maximize my profit. I actually found some hidden gems (ie 64 Flood) embedded in the lot which helped me to increase my revenue. When it was all said and done after listing all of the cards, selling most of them, I not only covered my original cost, my ebay expenses, but made a profit equal to the amount I originally spent. The time I spent listing and selling these cards were my greatest expense, but the profit I cleared covered that time quite easily.

In the end, I added some cards to my collection(not as many as expected), and then earned some money to add more cards to my collection.

As Tom mentioned, take some time before you make any emotional decisions and then carefully look through the lot, you maybe sitting on a goldmine and not even know it. Good luck with this.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM
George E.

I did a similar thing this week, except that it was one card, and it was only a $25 purchase. My self-frustration about it, and especially the emotional disparity I experienced between the excitement of finding a deal on a card I have been looking for for 3 1/2 years and the low of realizing that the condition was much worse than I thought and that I overpaid, makes me feel a lot worse about it than it probably should. And right now, in the moment, I have no joy about finding the card (and completing my set!). I can only imagine what it is like for you with a purchase that large.

But... it sounds like you have a good plan. And if you can 'erase' your mistake in a year's time then you are doing pretty good.

If you are like me, it is the losing when you thought you won that is the biggest blow. But this too shall pass.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Kevin, I have had similar things happen in stock investing and real estate. I think it's important to fight through it. I'd sit with the stuff you just bought, inventory it, estimate reasonable prices for each item, then slowly work through selling it. Just ABC basically. If the money was for a car for your child, you can probably earn back enough to get a perfectly usable one. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Barry Sloate

All of us who have bought and sold baseball cards over a long period of time have made mistakes like this. I've overvalued plenty of things and have taken losses on them.

Tom gave the best advice: readdress this collection after you are no longer emotional about it. Now would be a terrible time to sell it because you are not able to look at it objectively. If you are angry at yourself for doing this you are going to compound the problem by making poor decisions selling it. Wait some period of time, sell it for the best price you can, and just accept the loss. And no reason to sell your whole collection over it since you say your finances are still fine.

Just step away from it for the time being. This doesn't sound as bad to me as it does to you. If you bought a stock and it went down you wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It just happens.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

All great suggestions from other Board Members. I have been actively buying sports memorabilia since 1986 and have had "buyers" remorse on a number of occasions. However, my motto is that you need to make some bad deals to score the really good ones. Good luck with your liquidation. If you have any neat vintage paper items from the purchase, PM and let me know what you have.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Kev1n @1les

Thanks for the feedback. This is some great advice. I think the most frustrating thing was just how stupid I was. This wasn't something where I got robbed (in the literal sense). My wife didn't want me to take the trip for this reason and I said "trust me". She did and I did this. This want something where I got conned with counterfeits. I saw the stuff. I knew it was light but despite that I still rolled out 146 100 dollar bills.

I said trust me, I've got this. And I was a total doofus. I was the guy that I have made fun of. I am an educated, pragmatic guy. I see downside and risk in everything and my risk meter broke. When I came to, it hit me hard. It was like I had a 5 day out of body experience. I didn't sleep. My adrenaline pumped and now I am crashing.

The guy was really nice. He thought he was giving me a great deal. I wish he would have taken one of the other calls and got a reality check but what is done is done. He had a wife and a small child and they were trying to get enough for a down payment. He didn't want to sell. His wife was forcing him to. He was somewhat of a simpleton. He had trouble with your/you're, to/too, there/their. In my head, I thought that he was just unaware of his value. I was going to capitalize on the fact that I had better information. God has a sense of humor as I sure look like the simpleton in the situation

In speaking with my wife, we came to am agreement. Perhaps this was God working through both of us. He was praying for a blessing and was willing to sacrifice his collection. God answered his prayers through me while reminding me to check my pride and arrogance at the door and to keep my day job. Coincidentally(?), the flight was almost cancelled on Wednesday morning. There was a mechanical issue and a 2 hour delay. At first they said that it was not going to leave until 11 which wouldn't allow me to make my return flight. He provided an out for me, but I was blinded by visions of this collection and the riches it would bring.

All I wanted was some 56 commons. Then I got this grand idea that I would sell off the rest and use the white. meat to build out the rest of the sets. I had been waiting on 54-56 and was fired up. Over the next 18 months, I was going to get my PSA 6 Clemente, Aaron, Banks, Koufax etcetera. Now, I get to tap the breaks. But, 14 grand would have bought nice mid grade sets of all three. Not very smart.

In the end, it is about 1% of net worth, 10% of liquid cash and half of my savings. It does not change the game but it is out of character and that is why I am kicking myself the most.

Take care and thanks - you have saved me the money on the therapy session and I need to save up 14,600 so I can start collecting again ��

Last edited by kailes2872; 08-29-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM
K!ya S@bet

I think I overvalue just about everything I come into contact with. I am a collector heart and therefore make a terrible part time dealer.

I take solace in the fact (i know sounds terrible) that my wife overvalued her business and and we took a six figure loss a few years ago. We have recovered but alas I can make a lot of card mistakes and still remind her of hers.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Kev1n @1les

Actually, forget everything I just said.

While looking through the very low value very beat up pre war book of about 50-70 cards, I found this Wagner!

Here we go easy street!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.9 KB, 929 views)

Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Kev1n @1les

But can someone tell me if this is a unique back - I.e Ty Cobb w/ Ty Cobb back?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 921 views)

Old 08-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Pau.l C

Kevin,
We have all made mistakes and sometimes those mistakes are a great opportunity to evaluate life and see the positive.
1) a supportive wife? .....priceless
2) an experience to help you focus on what's most important? ( family) -excellent
3) You live in the U.S. of A & not Iraq....very lucky
4) the cards you got are not reprints and you can sell them- cool!
5) A N54 group of folks to hear you out who can relate- very nice too.

Count the blessings and learn from the mistake and hope it is the worst that you experience. that would be very fortunate. Enjoy the weekend
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernieto View Post
Kevin,
We have all made mistakes and sometimes those mistakes are a great opportunity to evaluate life and see the positive.
2) an experience to help you focus on what's most important? ( family) -excellent
3) You live in the U.S. of A & not Iraq....very lucky
4) the cards you got are not reprints and you can sell them- cool!
5) A N54 group of folks to hear you out who can relate- very nice too.

Count the blessings and learn from the mistake and hope it is the worst that you experience. that would be very fortunate. Enjoy the weekend
I agree with all of this. Also, if this really is the worst mistake you have ever made, that's something to be proud of. It's just money after all. Family, friends, and your health are what's most important.

As far as what to do next, I think autograf nailed it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernieto View Post
Familes have been torn apart from much less than this experience.

Take your wife out for a romantic dinner and revel in how this current error in judgment has made you realize just how lucky you are to have a wife like yours, and has served to strengthened your relationship.

You are truly a lucky guy.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkpath View Post
Familes have been torn apart from much less than this experience.

Take your wife out for a romantic dinner and revel in how this current error in judgment has made you realize just how lucky you are to have a wife like yours, and has served to strengthened your relationship.

You are truly a lucky guy.
+1

Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

You have a very understanding wife. If I had done this, my wife would have kicked me to the curb yesterday. Treasure her. (Your sig line of Proverbs 27:15 is somewhat strange, however. I hope you're not referring to your wife here.)

I would print out your opening statement on this thread detailing what happened, and put it in a very obvious place, so that you can see it whenever you make any large and spur of the moment purchases, so you can really check yourself to see if you're doing the right thing.

As others have said, everyone makes mistakes in buying things. I have made plenty myself in buying fake stuff, way overpaying, many, many times where I have lost plenty of money purchasing things that I should not have. Obviously nothing as large as you did this time, but still adds up. Each incident for me is something that I have learned from, and hopefully, you can do the same. You have your health, a wonderful wife, and it looks like you can still recover from this financially albeit it will take a little while. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Kevin

Hi Kevin, I buy several collections a year. I learned the hard way not to commit to a purchase until I have thoroughly examined the cards. People always over value their collections. I have made many mistakes buying collections and when I get them home and look closely, my first thought is - "Wow, I screwed up on this one".

It is really difficult to drive 200 miles to look at a collection and then say "no thanks", but it would be even more difficult to buy the collection and regret it later.

You made a mistake. Learn from it, continue to collect and move on. Aaron Rodgers doesn't quit when he throws an interception, he comes back on the field and tries again.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
You have a very understanding wife. If I had done this, my wife would have kicked me to the curb yesterday. Treasure her. (Your sig line of Proverbs 27:15 is somewhat strange, however. I hope you're not referring to your wife here.)
It was a joke between the two of us. The pastor used it last week and told the men in the crowd that we could use it as a life verse. I put it into the sig line to see if anyone would see the reference. She got a kick out of it.

She is a proverbs 31 woman - through and through. It is probably time to change it to that. Thanks for the prompting.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If you were going to spend it on a car for sons, you would have spent in to on something that depreciated quickly anyway. In the strictly financial scheme of things, you may come out better financially having spent it on the collection.

And some people spend good money on fakes. There are real horror stories there. You got something authentic and worth money out of it.

The autographs are the wild card here. Along with what you get for the entire collection. In your funk, perhaps you'll get more than you're thinking right now.

Overspending on a collection happens to everyone, even experienced dealers. Even the Mr. Mint you mentioned has overspent. He wrote about buying super rare football card boxes sitting in a garage or warehouse, only to discover when approaching them that they were infested with bugs. I know a well known dealer who bought a high grade 1971 Topps, but when he took the cads out of the binder he discovered many to most were recolored in black pen.

The best thing to do to make up for a bad deal, overspending or whatever, is to save some money and cut spending that you already wouldn't have-- a little here and a little here. Over time, you will make up the lost money by saving money you wouldn't have spent if this situation hadn't happened. If a loss causes you to alter your actions and habits for the better, it can actually lead to profit.

They say a difference between people who are overweight and healthy weight is both will sometimes overeat way more than normal at a meal, but the healthy weight person will make up for it by eating less at the next meal (a light dinner after a big restaurant lunch) or by skipping some snacks he or she would ordinarily have, while the overweight person will continue to eat the same amount as normal.

Personal setbacks and mistakes can make for a better person, short term financial losses can lead to long term profit and a big early season loss can make for a better football team. It's all a matter of how you handle and react to them.

Last edited by drcy; 08-29-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Al

I wouldn't call it a $14K mistake. It's something less than that, depending on what you can get for the cards. If you're careful and diligent about selling them, you'll probably pull quite a bit of that back out of the cards when you sell. Perhaps in your enthusiasm, you overestimated the value, but I'm sure you didn't overestimate by THAT much.

If I had a nickel for every time I paid more for a card than it was worth because I was enthusiastic about buying it, I could cover your losses and then some.

I agree with Tom's suggestion that you sit tight and let the emotion seep out of this for a while, and I'm sure you'll find it wasn't such a bad deal after all.

And every one of us has done something similar at one point or another, whether it be in the hobby or out of the hobby.

Best of luck,
-Al
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Jeff

Been there (most of us have), brighter lights at the end of the tunnel. Take the advice, sit back for a while and then prudently recapture what you can and chalk the difference up to experience and a lesson learned. I've had to do it before, not fun but not world changing either.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Daryl

Kevin, I have another verse in Proverbs that you should add to your signature: Proverbs 20:10. Reading your first post, it would appear that the differing measure was used by the seller, but by your second post it appears that it was actually used by the buyer.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Kevin, I have another verse in Proverbs that you should add to your signature: Proverbs 20:10. Reading your first post, it would appear that the differing measure was used by the seller, but by your second post it appears that it was actually used by the buyer.
Thank you. I was definitely looking to take advantage of the situation and "perceived" better information. Minimally, I was hoping for a wholesale buy - which isn't out of the ordinary - i.e. 15 grand for 18-22 grand to turn it around. A lot of time an trouble parsing that will end up working out to 10 dollars an hour for the time an effort.

If you don't mind, will you send me a PM to help me understand the meaning behind the scripture - in terms of different weights and different measures? I think it means that one person has a price based upon what he knows and the other has it on what he knows?

Thanks for the wise counsel
Kevin

Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm curious what the collection will eventually sell for. In the end, perhaps you'll get what you paid or even turn a little profit. It sounds as if you were envisioning huge profits on resale, which is a source of the disappointment.

Last edited by drcy; 08-29-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

If you have any questions regarding the autographed cards feel free to PM me with any questions. There are certainly others on the board who know more than I do but I can hold my own in that area of the collecting world. Would be glad to help in any way I can.

Tom C
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Just be thankful you had $14,000 to make a mistake with.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I made a 13k mistake. I don't want to compound it - but I am in a bad mental state right now.
Kevin, Does this mean that you spent 14k on what you now think is 1k worth of cards and memorabilia?

Jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
But can someone tell me if this is a unique back - I.e Ty Cobb w/ Ty Cobb back?
This is by far the coolest piece.

I lost $32k on a house recently and other sizable mistakes like dropping a huge chunk on a SeaRay when I got back from Afghanistan. Nothing is a worse investment than a boat. My humble opinion is that this it's important to remember this is a hobby(for most) and mistakes are just part of it. Everytime I buy or sell something "rare", I find another right around the corner. The reality is that we should probably all use our money foy helping those in need and not cards, but we are spoiled animals.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'm curious what the collection will eventually sell for. In the end, perhaps you'll get what you paid or even turn a little profit. It sounds as if you were envisioning huge profits on resale, which is a source of the disappointment.
I think 4 grand back is a good goal. There are lots of binders of near sets that have been majorly picked over from the stars (I think this happened before I committed to the sale, but if after, that is very disheartening).

There is a 50 bowman partial set that I will parse out and sell in 25 card lots. 54 52-55 Red Man cards with tabs in mid grade (some are lower) Posted on Ebay as a 7 day auction. Williams, Mays, etc. In retrospect based upon the feedback, I should have punted and went slower, selling them in lots of 5 or card by card. I have 2 bids on them now, so I don't think that I can pull it down or if it would ethical.

The 56's might be worth $500 on the high end. There are about 150 different. The Koufax, Mays and Robinson were lower grade, but it was intended as a common lot to try and put a big chuck into the set.

There is also a really nice framed signed picture of Mantle/Williams and a framed signed picture of Mantle/Mays. I have a signed picture of May/Aaron and a signed picture of Aaron hitting 715, so this actually fits very well. Aaron/Aaron-Mays/Mays-Mantle/Mantle-Williams. There are also autographed balls of Aaron and Mays. That is what I will keep. If the pictures are $300 each(?), and the balls are $100 each on the high side, that would be $1300 worth of value that I plan on keeping - so whatever the final tally is, I will add $1300

I had hoped to keep the Red Mans and the 50 Bowman partial set. I was going to work on getting the other 75 cards to complete that one. Now, I think I am going to have to move them to recoup.

There is an T205 Cobb that is "A" altered. I wanted to keep it, but I am going to move to recoup some of the investment. I posted it at $50 and has 14 watchers and is now up to $59. CT says that the last 10 sales have gone between 300 and 400, so I am hoping for a similar amount. It has 8 sharp corners. I will get this card in a higher grade later in my collecting career. It was something that I overvalued in my head when he said that he had it. I didn't do enough research to understand just how low the A cards went for.

A big unknown is a Carl Hubbell Collection that has a signed bat, glove (mid 80's model glove, not Carl's), and a ball. When he told me about it, I pictured one of those finger gloves from years ago. He signed it in 1986 on a modern glove - that was something that popped when I was having some pause when I was making the deal (yet still followed through). There is also a Lefty Grove autographed bat.

Other than that, lots of mid-low grade 50's/60's commons. No high numbers or SPs very few stars.

If I get 2 grand out of all of everything above and beyond what I am keeping, I will be surprised and that would make it an 11 grand hit - with a ton of time, trouble, energy, and travel costs in it - so, I think it is that bad. When I was parsing out when I got home on Friday, that was when it hit me when I was doing the head math.

I will keep a tally as it sells and let you know the final figure.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM
D0NN1E B

I know very well the sick feeling Kevin. In the 'misery loves company' train of thought I will share this to show that we've all been there one way or another. And things do seem to work themselves out in the end.
I took out a $30000 home equity loan out on the house... The next day I bought $15000 worth of Washington Mutual Stock, later that day or the next morning............. The government seized control of the company and halted the stock. I ended up selling for a 13k loss. I took the other 15K and sunk it in Fifth 3rd and Suntrust banks and recouped my money in just over a year. Things have a way of working themselves out
Thanks for sharing your story and I am 100% certain that you'll be back to normal and this will be a distant learning experience in very short order.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agree with Tom to not compound a bad, hasty decision with another bad, hasty decision. Don't liquidate just to get it out of sight. Take your time and you'll get your best return.

And a key to remember is everyone on this board has made bad buys. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Last edited by drcy; 08-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Everyone should check out the lots Kevin has up on ebay. Like when do you see that many red mans up in one lot, and the auto one as well. Take a look and maybe leave a bid, I know I'll be watching the red man lot closely.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default ebay

ebay link?

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Kev1n @1les

Username is kailes2872

I am away from the house and on my mobile. I will edit in links when I get home tonight. Thanks for the support!

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't think selling the autographed lot as one 600 group lot as you're doing is a good idea. With the star power and HOF signatures on vintage cards I see there (such as a Gaylor Perry signed rookie,a Frank Robinson signed 1967 Topps and Yaz 1970s Topps), you could at least consign it as one lot to a big auction house like REA or an autograph house like RR Auctions. You could also have it broken up and sold at places like Love of the Game Auctions. Some of those cards are worthy of being sold as singles. Call REA or send LOTG. I'm sure All would be happy to handle it for you.

People buy a group lot of 600 autographed cards to get a deep discount and, if you're fixed on selling it as one lot, you should consigned it to one of the above. People will pay more when it's offered by a place like REA, in part because they've been authenticated. People will be hesitant to buy from someone on eBay who says he's unfamiliar with autographs.

Most single collector in person autographed card collections like that are a mixture of stars and commons, vintage cards to modern cheapo and old timers on reprint/commorative cards. That's all standard for a big lot like that. If they were all got by a single collector who got them in person, that will be a good selling point. But there's no way I'd auction a collection whole like that on eBay, unless I was willing to sell for a deep discount. Those are the kinds of lots dealers buy to break down and resell for profit.

Just my 2 cents, as someone who's collected and sold autographed baseball cards.

And, for all your stuff, I'd be careful about doing a hasty firesale.

Last edited by drcy; 08-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Kev1n @1les

Thanks. There is 80-90% of The Brian McCrae's and Neil Walkers in the lot. I was just that the HOFers would get cherry picked and I would end up with the scraps. Since this was gathered card by card, it was his pride and joy.

I just don't know the value except that I know that a modern Tom Paciorek card autographed card doesn't have much demand

Maybe the better thing is to do lots of 10 or 20 with a HOFer per lot? Am I allowed to take it down after there is a bid?

If so, should I do the same thing with the Red Mans and sell them 5 at a time?

Thanks, Kevin

Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The other posts here have covered it well but I thought this:

Earlier this year I needed to sell off some cards. I consigned the cards to an eBay auctioneer. I got slaughtered. I netted less than 50% of what I spent on acquiring the cards, many of which I purchased in the heady market of 2004-2008. I moped around for a while then thought about it and realized a few things:

1. I wasn't using the money anyway. It wasn't the rent money, just some excess cash I spent in cards. I'll earn more.

2. If I spent the money on any number of other things I'd have nothing to show for it anyway. The money I lost is roughly the cost of season tickets to the Dodgers over the last few years and if I'd had that I'd have nothing, not even a World Series to attend. So from that perspective I am no worse off. Probably even had a less frustrating time and definitely ate way less junk food.

3. As compared to what my wife and I have lost on stocks and real estate over the years, and even bad receivables in my practice, the card loss is a drop in the bucket. Heck, I'd be halfway to retired right now if we'd made a few decisions slightly differently. If that doesn't chew my guts out, some freakin' baseball cards won't either [see my tag line below].

It feels lousy but it will pass.

Your mistake, if you want to call it that, was getting emotional about a business transaction. If you are going to be a dealer you need to be detached about the dealing: "no deal is better than a bad deal" has to be your mantra. I went through a small collection at our show in May, made an offer, and got outbid by another dealer. So be it. The seller tried to get me to compete but I had my methodology for valuing the lot, my valuation dictated the offer I made, and that was the end of the story. If I upped my offer I'd have fallen out of my valuation range and been reacting with my heart not my head. Sounds like that is where you went astray. Chalk it up to inexperience and learn from it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Thanks. There is 80-90% of The Brian McCrae's and Neil Walkers in the lot. I was just that the HOFers would get cherry picked and I would end up with the scraps. Since this was gathered card by card, it was his pride and joy.

I just don't know the value except that I know that a modern Tom Paciorek card autographed card doesn't have much demand

Maybe the better thing is to do lots of 10 or 20 with a HOFer per lot? Am I allowed to take it down after there is a bid?

If so, should I do the same thing with the Red Mans and sell them 5 at a time?

Thanks, Kevin
I still think the best advice you've received is wait 3 months before doing anything. Watch ebay, learn about auctions and what each one specializes in, and create a strategy to maximize your return.

Otherwise you are just compounding your mistakes.

jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I still think the best advice you've received is wait 3 months before doing anything. Watch ebay, learn about auctions and what each one specializes in, and create a strategy to maximize your return.

jeff
But am I allowed to pull something down after there is a bid?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

jeff
I tend to agree. The cobb will sell fine, as will the other lots, but after those chill out and leave it alone for a while. With the cards you sold on here already and the lots you have up you'll have a little cash back in your pocket anyway.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Some solid advice in this thread Kevin.

If you put that Old Judge Wagner card up for auction on the BST, I'd put in a bid. I think it's funny.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Tom Boblitt

Couple things......

In the future, when you talk about and agree on a price, but after viewing it, it's substantially lower value than what you thought, stop the deal. Your word is still your word but of something is THAT far off, you have zero obligation to complete the deal. A plane ticket to Phoenix would be your lesson there.

When you do figure things out on what and how to sell it, use much better pictures. The ones with the lots on ebay are not very good. To get top dollar out of stuff, scan a lot of it, use a flat bed scanner and not a cellphone with crappy lighting.

The HOFer autos look good though......the Mantle 8x10 nit so sure of.....
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:

Yes, but FeeBay will charge you 10% of what has been bid.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Couple things......

In the future, when you talk about and agree on a price, but after viewing it, it's substantially lower value than what you thought, stop the deal. Your word is still your word but of something is THAT far off, you have zero obligation to complete the deal. A plane ticket to Phoenix would be your lesson there.

When you do figure things out on what and how to sell it, use much better pictures. The ones with the lots on ebay are not very good. To get top dollar out of stuff, scan a lot of it, use a flat bed scanner and not a cellphone with crappy lighting.

The HOFer autos look good though......the Mantle 8x10 nit so sure of.....
+1 Totally agree.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I give you permission to pull the autograph lot and consign it to an auction house. Not only is that my permission, it's my advice as your financial advisor.

There, I made an executive decision.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Only if you are willing to lie.

I don't think you need to take three months as a cool down, but you definitely need to not do anything until you have formulated a coherent plan. I'm pretty sure that if you had listed those Redmans individually at the same time, you would make a LOT more than as the group of 54. Consider the other items. If you have a lot of autographed cards, you may want to group them by year and team. Photos and balls should probably be listed individually. Consider whether it makes more sense to release all lots at once, or meter them out in some sort of grouping.

BTW, you are already 2.25% toward recouping your investment.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a mere part time volunteer at an art gallery/theater, the full time gallery director asks me to make 'executive decisions.' When she can't make up her mind on an issue she said, "Okay, David, make an executive decision." So I do.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Jeff C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I give you permission to pull the autograph lot and consign it to an auction house. Not only is that my permission, it's my advice as your financial advisor.

There, I made an executive decision.
+1

trdcrdkid; michael peich; baseball*collectibles; hardspun8; iowadoc77; deafsports; rdixon1208; r0ck8ott0m; comiskey; lukelyon; t206collector; jcc; mybuddyinc; lharri3600; majordandy; brass_rat; obcbobd; cozumeleno; milkit1; joem36; jlehma13; thromdog; sean1125; zachs; jasonc; jollyroger; dougscats; vintageismygame; jmanos; t206blogcom; bn2cardz; btcarfagno; ionlysmoke4thecards; gradedcardman; mantleman + I think I’m forgetting a few people.