NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I've posted these before, but I feel like it may be time to remind everyone why T205s are often downright hideous:

The players look ugly...

They are often making sour faces...

They look like catfish, or at least like they're burping...

There's just something garishly plastic about them...

Check out the ears on these guys...

Check out the huge foreheads on these dudes...

The Joker?

Egan's just horsey in ANY set...

However, I will concede that I do so love this Blackburne, and not entirely because he signed it:

Good stuff!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I'm coming around on cobb but if you compare the 06 and 05 portraits of cobb, Johnson and young, to me it's a no brainer. Whereas Mathewson, Marquard, bresnahan and other hofers the 05s compare much better, but yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Peter those cards are amazing, particularly love grove.
I agree the Johnson T206 portrait is better, one of the best cards ever in fact, but the T205 is a very good likeness of a photograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesFIWGZ3QW.jpg (7.7 KB, 223 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Bry@n

I don't know what is next but I don't think it is T205. The cards are great, especially in good condidtion, but unless you have a fairly high grade the chipping on the gold border really detracts from the card. In order for a set to really take off I think it helps if the lower grades have a little more eye appeal relative to other sets in low to mid grades.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I agree the Johnson T206 portrait is better, one of the best cards ever in fact, but the T205 is a very good likeness of a photograph.
Photos like that Johnson (and a few of the others) make me want to say screw the cards and go after the photos. That's an awesome photo!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Photos like that Johnson (and a few of the others) make me want to say screw the cards and go after the photos. That's an awesome photo!
I definitely agree on the photos but every now and then the card will have more details than the photo it was made from..... BTW, I now think I need a T206 Johnson portrait.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd381wagner.jpg (74.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...-2014-national

So I didn't answer earlier and I'm kind of reviving this thread, but here's my pick for the next set to "pop." It just got a lot of press being featured in the PSA card series "Cards that never were" and these fantasy pieces were given away or were prizes during the National. I think the set is beautiful, there's enough around for new collectors to start picking them up, and they got some free press.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM

I would say the E94s but there aren't enough of them out there right now so collectors would get discouraged. There needs to be eye appeal plus demand plus a decent supply. The Black Swamp cards killed the E98 set. If I had to start loading up on cards from a set because of a possible run, I would load up on T213-2 (1914) Coupons while they are still reasonably priced. The 1919 Coupons (series 3) and the series 1 cards are too rare for collectors and would only cause frustration. The M116s, E90-3s and T207s all have room to grow and increase in price but each has it's own baggage which will keep the current prices contained.
Yup, I would go for the T213-2 but keep an eye on the T210s and early Zeenut sets which have a growing number of niche collectors...