NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Brock

Default Any thoughts?? Joe McGinnity

Saw this on ebay and was watching it. Noticed that it was ended today, anyone have thoughts. I think it's secretarial, doesn't look like his other examples.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111441007247...84.m1423.l2649

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-25-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I saw that too. I didn't see anything signed like that before and to me it just looked a little too clean. Didn't seem to be much wear to anything, but the story seems plausible. If I don't feel comfortable I just don't bid no matter what the story or TPA would say. Interested what other people would say. Jason
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

My guess is some auction house bought it and we will see the letter again in the next 12 months, with full authentication.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
My guess is some auction house bought it and we will see the letter again in the next 12 months, with full authentication.
+1
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

http://www.psacard.com/autographfact.../joe-mcginnity

If this exemplar is correct it appears somewhat different.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Default JimStinson

Someone had e-mailed me a scan of it a few days ago and I told them I thought it was secretarial. I had no idea where it was being offered at or by who. But after seeing the group lot that accompanied it which I knew nothing of at the time I have to think it was a bargain at the selling price even without the Iron Man letter being authentic. Nice snag someone who ever you are !

Vintage autographs for Sale on My web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Seems like it would be strange to have someone else sign a letter to a friend. Unless I guess Joe dictated the letter and had someone else hand write it. I would suspect a secretarial signature would be on a typed letter, no?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Out of the blue I contacted the seller yesterday to see if the item was still available because the whole lot intrigued me. He told me that it was and that 2 others were interested in it ahead of me and he was undecided what he would do at this time. He said he pulled the item because he was not happy with how the bidding was progressing. Made me wonder how many people had questions about the McGinnity letter's authenticity. It definitely looks different than the exemplars I have seen. My hope is that some TPA will not approve the letter out of greed or just plain ignorant laziness if it is submitted. Should it be submitted and it gets approved as authentic the TPA should be ready to defend its due diligence for its decision.
But one question arises: why would you dictate a letter and have someone transcribe it and write it in hand written fashion or authorize a letter to be written by someone else in hand-written fashion and have them sign your name to it? Why not type it? After all this was a business letter , not a truly personal letter.
Could this be a case similar to the infamous Delahanty letter, except that McGinnity's last name is spelled correctly?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Seems like it would be strange to have someone else sign a letter to a friend. Unless I guess Joe dictated the letter and had someone else hand write it. I would suspect a secretarial signature would be on a typed letter, no?
This might be your answer, census says he could read and write but even items with short inscriptions that are actually signed by him appear to be in another hand, which would indicate his handwriting might have been atrocious.

Joe received little formal schooling.Due to the transient lifestyle of coal miners, his family moved frequently during his childhood. At the age of eight, Joe and his older brothers went to work in the mines to support their family.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Brock

To me everything in the lot looks to be written by the same person.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Default JimStinson

The Stallings is not signed by him either , so yes almost everything IS signed by the same person, and at first glance I thought the $1,500 was the buy it now price but I see now it was the starting bid price ....no wonder he pulled it.
Reminds of that song from "Man of La Mancha"...

Vintage autographs for Sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

I think Keurajian's books has two exemplars from the circa 1910, which happens to be the year this letter was signed and I think it makes mention of the fact that he signed "Joe J" rather than just "Joe".
Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
My hope is that some TPA will not approve the letter out of greed or just plain ignorant laziness if it is submitted.
It's a dreary day here in Tacoma - thanks for giving me a good chuckle over coffee.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It's a dreary day here in Tacoma - thanks for giving me a good chuckle over coffee.
Such pessimism toward the industry experts.