NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I picked up a few last night, some that I had not initially targeted but thought were well below value.

Overall I thought the prices were about what I expected but there were a few surprises, namely the ungraded EPDG's which some went for a LOT more than I was going to risk. Seeing all the graded cards, I wondered why Saco didn't have those graded also. Some of them looked odd to me, I can't say trimmed because the pictures were too small to tell. Plus they didn't show the backs which was odd to me.

Anyway, would love to hear from someone at the auction about their impression of the ungraded lots.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:51 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
I picked up a few last night, some that I had not initially targeted but thought were well below value.

Overall I thought the prices were about what I expected but there were a few surprises, namely the ungraded EPDG's which some went for a LOT more than I was going to risk. Seeing all the graded cards, I wondered why Saco didn't have those graded also. Some of them looked odd to me, I can't say trimmed because the pictures were too small to tell. Plus they didn't show the backs which was odd to me.

Anyway, would love to hear from someone at the auction about their impression of the ungraded lots.
I agree about the ungraded lots. I would have liked to have known why they weren't graded since some looked decent. Maybe Saco wanted to offer graded cards that were 4.5 or higher (which virtually all were that were auctioned last night) and felt those included in the raw lots wouldnt meet that threshold. Given that assumption I bid much lower then the 10 player raw lots eventually brought with the vig. Assuming most of those raws would have graded out 2 or 3 they were hammered much above fair value in my opinion. As mentioned earlier an internet bidder identified as p****e won a significant number of the raw lots.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I did not attend in person, but bid by phone on several lots. The bidding assistant told me there were about 50 people present at the auction and each lot was averaging around 13 phone bidders. Most of the lots I was bidding on were won by either people present at the auction or phone bidders - I think both show up as "on site" in the results. I wonder if Saco has any information on how many were logged in via Proxibid.

One of the Gandil's was listed as an EPDG back but was actually an AB no border back. Not sure how much that affected the final price at $475.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-15-2015, 02:47 PM
PeterB

I fell asleep at the wheel here and also though auction was later in the month. Is there a place to see the results?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Jamie

is this trimmed?

Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

At first glance I thought it looked ok just a bit of a diamond cut but looking at it further it might be short. If anything the space left available by the insert is usually tight. There is a lot of room between the top edge of the card and the insert. Also on the reverse there is not that much total space between the EDPG imprint and the bottom and top of the card. If I had to guess I think i'd say it is trimmed.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 01-15-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Jamie

look at the top of the card.. its uneven.. and at least to me... not in a straight line.. or am i seeing things?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Richard L.

Peter B see post #135
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I watched about halfway thru on LiveAuctioneers. Done it a few times before.
Placed a couple bids and actually won something i didnt think i win.

The Babe Ruth photos:
My newest addition to 2015:
Its not a card, heck not even post-war.
From yesterdays SACO's portland Maine Trove

Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Default I'll try to answer all the questions

Hello All and Thank You for the kind words and bidding in the sale. We had a great auction. The next round of cards from this collection will be February 18 2015 @5PM EST. The list will be compiled within a week or two on that group.

So everyone wants to know about raw cards and how the grading was done. My deal with my consignor was that I was responsible for the grading fees on this collection. Obviously I kept that in mind when deciding which cards to grade and how much to spend on this lot. Grading can be expensive and there really are no guarantees for a return on investment. So from a business standpoint we evaluated the group twice, including with Scott at SGC. We wanted cards in the $200 range, and or grade 5 plus. We initially graded about 500 cards out of the group.

I then picked out an additional 125 cards and graded those as well.

Next I was told by several customers that many T206 buyers like buying raw cards because they like the excitement of having them graded by the company of their choice. In order to appeal to all buyers I made the choice to sell raw cards in groups of 10. Many of those groups have excellent cards in them including EPDG backs and 4 and 5 grades. Some even have HOF players. The prices for the raw cards were strong and I am happy with the results.

At no time was the decision made to leave cards raw because they were suspected of being trimmed. In fact, in the collection there were only a few cards which were determined to be under sized but had full borders.

Many of you bid strong and won the raw cards and I am confident that each of you will be very pleased with them.

As always if anyone has questions for me please ask. I can always be contacted on my cell phone 207-650-5677

Troy
Old 01-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
At first glance I thought it looked ok just a bit of a diamond cut but looking at it further it might be short. If anything the space left available by the insert is usually tight. There is a lot of room between the top edge of the card and the insert. Also on the reverse there is not that much total space between the EDPG imprint and the bottom and top of the card. If I had to guess I think i'd say it is trimmed.

I have ran across several cards like this in holders with numerical grades and just because there is room, doesn't mean it's trimmed. A lot of cards seem trimmed by the looks, but were just cut that way. T206s vary in size, so unless there is obvious proof of a trim, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco River Auction View Post
Hello All and Thank You for the kind words and bidding in the sale. We had a great auction. The next round of cards from this collection will be February 18 2015 @5PM EST. The list will be compiled within a week or two on that group.

So everyone wants to know about raw cards and how the grading was done. My deal with my consignor was that I was responsible for the grading fees on this collection. Obviously I kept that in mind when deciding which cards to grade and how much to spend on this lot. Grading can be expensive and there really are no guarantees for a return on investment. So from a business standpoint we evaluated the group twice, including with Scott at SGC. We wanted cards in the $200 range, and or grade 5 plus. We initially graded about 500 cards out of the group.

I then picked out an additional 125 cards and graded those as well.

Next I was told by several customers that many T206 buyers like buying raw cards because they like the excitement of having them graded by the company of their choice. In order to appeal to all buyers I made the choice to sell raw cards in groups of 10. Many of those groups have excellent cards in them including EPDG backs and 4 and 5 grades. Some even have HOF players. The prices for the raw cards were strong and I am happy with the results.

At no time was the decision made to leave cards raw because they were suspected of being trimmed. In fact, in the collection there were only a few cards which were determined to be under sized but had full borders.

Many of you bid strong and won the raw cards and I am confident that each of you will be very pleased with them.

As always if anyone has questions for me please ask. I can always be contacted on my cell phone 207-650-5677

Troy
Excellent feedback Troy, thanks for posting this. Now if you had just posted that BEFORE the auction you might have seen some extra money coming in (from me).....haha.

Do you have a timeline of when the next auction will be and the lots involved?

The lineup for this was excellent and I look forward to the next one.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I have ran across several cards like this in holders with numerical grades and just because there is room, doesn't mean it's trimmed. A lot of cards seem trimmed by the looks, but were just cut that way. T206s vary in size, so unless there is obvious proof of a trim, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike he asked if the card was trimmed I just gave my opinion. Maybe its not. I realize t206's aren't all exactly uniform. The most of my reasoning was based on how tightly many cards have been fitting in SGC holders as of late. Odds are its not trimmed, many of the Saco cards were virtually untouched.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 01-16-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Saco River Auction certainly had some great pieces. I made the long voyage from Iowa to Maine, just got back late last night and had to work today or I would have posted sooner. The trip was well worth it.

The T206s did look nice but I really didn't pay much attention to them; the real treasures resided with the Goodwin & Co. glass plate negatives. I'll post on them separately but wanted to extend a deep and sincere thank you to the Saco River Auction staff. Thank you Troy, thank you Dave, and thank you Jacob for providing me with first class access to the negatives over my two day stay. Each of the 46 negatives was handled by staff as I studied them in a number of areas including measuring each and every one for thickness (min, max, mean etc.). Not that this was the most important inspection, but gives you an idea of how accommodating they were to each and every request despite knowing I wasn't the deep pocketed buyer all auction houses yearn for.

I won several negatives, felt honored to study such an amazing collection, and look forward to sharing details with the board as time permits.

Thank you Troy, Dave, Jacob, and staff!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Saco River Auction certainly had some great pieces. I made the long voyage from Iowa to Maine, just got back late last night and had to work today or I would have posted sooner. The trip was well worth it.

The T206s did look nice but I really didn't pay much attention to them; the real treasures resided with the Goodwin & Co. glass plate negatives. I'll post on them separately but wanted to extend a deep and sincere thank you to the Saco River Auction staff. Thank you Troy, thank you Dave, and thank you Jacob for providing me with first class access to the negatives over my two day stay. Each of the 46 negatives was handled by staff as I studied them in a number of areas including measuring each and every one for thickness (min, max, mean etc.). Not that this was the most important inspection, but gives you an idea of how accommodating they were to each and every request despite knowing I wasn't the deep pocketed buyer all auction houses yearn for.

I won several negatives, felt honored to study such an amazing collection, and look forward to sharing details with the board as time permits.

Thank you Troy, Dave, Jacob, and staff!
Glad to hear that they treated you sod well. It must have been cool to inspect such a rare item.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Ebay auction # 141552955280

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141552955280...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to try and flip something from this auction. I really hope he gets his price, will make me feel even better than I already do about my purchases. For the record, I have no issues whatsoever with this. I have often wondered if auctions like Saco's reach the majority of "players" in the market that would be willing to pay in this range for a card. My guess has always been that most collectors willing to spend in these price ranges would have know about it and bid in the original auction earlier this month. This will be interesting to watch.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Any news on the types of T206's that will be auctioned off in Feb?

There were some beautiful EPDG's last round, I'm wondering what next will have. Any Cycles or Hindus?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Any info or pics of the t205's or rare backs that were found?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Rick Clemens

I actually won the Gandil with the AB back and it was for 450.00. It was mistakenly listed as selling for 475.00. The only other AB Gandil 5 I have seen sold for over twice that amount in a Goodwin Auction. I plan to crossover that card and a few others I won to PSA . We will see if they cross

One of the Gandil's was listed as an EPDG back but was actually an AB no border back. Not sure how much that affected the final price at $475.

Last edited by ricktmd; 01-29-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Trae Regan

Rick, I noticed one item I won said it went for $25 more than what I ended up paying (and was beyond my max bid too, so I actually thought I was outbid). Seems like a software bug. Anyway, good luck with the cross.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
I actually won the Gandil with the AB back and it was for 450.00. It was mistakenly listed as selling for 475.00. The only other AB Gandil 5 I have seen sold for over twice that amount in a Goodwin Auction. I plan to crossover that card and a few others I won to PSA . We will see if they cross

Rick, congratulations on a great pick up. I was bidding on it as well, but needed to save some powder for some later items. I hated to let it go. I'm happy for you, I think you'll do very nicely with it! I bid via phone and my lots are showing the correct final bid, software seems the likely culprit.

I believe the next auction is set for Feb 15th so information should be available soon.

Last edited by brob28; 01-29-2015 at 02:06 PM.