NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 AM

Default Compiling an offical list of CCB issues and other publications ......

That's interesting to hear how Chris Benjamin picked up the rights to CCB. His issue numbering seems to follow on from the volume and issue# pattern established by Burdick and Bray - but no idea whether there is a smooth progression of issues.

It would be great if we could join forces to compile some form of official list of the hobby journal issues and start to create some form of orderly catalog of the hobby publications - starting from that first Burdick issue, or even the [8] articles he wrote in Hobbies - see George Vrechek article on early articles:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/SCD_Hobbies.pdf

In the UK, I have catalogued (at least in my head!) most of the mainstream hobby publications, starting from a few that appeared in the 1930s. For example, the London Cigarette Card Company magazine (currently known as "Card Collectors News", but which has had several name changes over the years) has been issued continuously from October 1933, mostly monthly, and the January 2019 issue is number 892 (volume 80). There are a few mis-types and missing issues in many of these, based on loose editorship / illnesses / wartime intervention etc over the years - so the 'complete runs' are rarely smooth monthly / bi-monthly etc. So some care and research is required, to fill in all the gaps.

We would need a suitable location/place/forum to coordinate such an effort.

And it would also be great to then publish this, in due course, as a lasting record for similarly minded hobby history enthusiasts!

I'm new to net54baseball.com, but maybe we need a new thread for this to explore whether such an effort is possible .....
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, happy to observe you aren't a flash in the pan about collecting and studying the (baseball) card collecting hobby. I don't know that a list of every hobby publication is even possible? There is no doubt both David and I (and many others) have some unique, or almost uniquely saved, publications. It would make it difficult to try to get them all. But it could be fun trying. And, if I am not mistaking, there was at least 1 1929 article, concerning collecting. George V and I have exchanged a lot of communications and information over the years. He is one of the best at studying Burdick and the early hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
That's interesting to hear how Chris Benjamin picked up the rights to CCB. His issue numbering seems to follow on from the volume and issue# pattern established by Burdick and Bray - but no idea whether there is a smooth progression of issues.

It would be great if we could join forces to compile some form of official list of the hobby journal issues and start to create some form of orderly catalog of the hobby publications - starting from that first Burdick issue, or even the [8] articles he wrote in Hobbies - see George Vrechek article on early articles:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/SCD_Hobbies.pdf

In the UK, I have catalogued (at least in my head!) most of the mainstream hobby publications, starting from a few that appeared in the 1930s. For example, the London Cigarette Card Company magazine (currently known as "Card Collectors News", but which has had several name changes over the years) has been issued continuously from October 1933, mostly monthly, and the January 2019 issue is number 892 (volume 80). There are a few mis-types and missing issues in many of these, based on loose editorship / illnesses / wartime intervention etc over the years - so the 'complete runs' are rarely smooth monthly / bi-monthly etc. So some care and research is required, to fill in all the gaps.

We would need a suitable location/place/forum to coordinate such an effort.

And it would also be great to then publish this, in due course, as a lasting record for similarly minded hobby history enthusiasts!

I'm new to net54baseball.com, but maybe we need a new thread for this to explore whether such an effort is possible .....
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Default CSGB library copy of the US 39 catalogue

The CSGB has a copy of the 1939 USA catalogue. I don't, however, have a photo of the front cover. You'll have to make do with the entry on the website, shown below. The CSGB library is here:
https://www.card-world.co.uk/referen...rials/library/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US 39.jpg (59.9 KB, 803 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 PM
David Kathman

I'm a member of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain and was in touch with their librarian a couple of years ago. Those books are stored away in his attic, somewhere in the Midlands, I think. I should try to e-mail him again, because he was going to photocopy some things for me.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:17 PM

Default Is this thread still live? My copy needs to be added

Younger generation here checking in. Going into to 2022 I've decided to change the way I go about collecting. I hate what the "new" collectors are doing. It's ruining this great hobby. Due to that, I've decided to focus on the "middle" period between WWI and WW2, starting with the 1933 Goudey set. I'm well on my way there and was also able to find an original 1939 ACC that I picked up.

It doesn't seem to be part of the group so I wanted to have it added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjW...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Val Kehl

Nice first post, and congrats on acquiring this important hobby pub!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeCurry View Post
Younger generation here checking in. Going into to 2022 I've decided to change the way I go about collecting. I hate what the "new" collectors are doing. It's ruining this great hobby. Due to that, I've decided to focus on the "middle" period between WWI and WW2, starting with the 1933 Goudey set. I'm well on my way there and was also able to find an original 1939 ACC that I picked up.

It doesn't seem to be part of the group so I wanted to have it added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjW...ew?usp=sharing
Agree, nice first post and welcome to the forum....I have 2 copies of the 1939 edition....plus a uniquely known letter announcing it.

Here is a thread concerning Burdick.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...Burdick+letter

Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM

Hi Leon,

Wow, such an incredible letter. Have you made it through the thousands of letters and other ephemera from the Wagner lot? Looks like you have some really great content to write a book