NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2022, 03:05 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
In case anyone is wondering, HA does provide details on how shipping and handling costs are calculated and offers an estimated shipping button that you can click near the bottom of every item listing.
It would be nice to take this further and have a button that showed total cost, including tax, shipping, and BP at the bottom of each lot description. I know taxes vary, but once you are logged in the auction site knows who you are and can be programmed to individualize the quote.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
When attending an auction keep in mind that the buyer's premium is used to enhance the customer experience. The buyer's premium is charged so buyers are comfortable during the time of auctions and so the auction can operate efficiently. The extra charge is always put to good use.
This is some of the more comical corporate bull!@#$ I've read in awhile.

My only objection to a BP is when A) it's used to try and mask what you're really paying and B) when the auction house lies that it is about anything except jacking their profit margin. There is nothing wrong with making more money if you can get people to pay it, but don't straight up lie that it's for my "comfort" during an online auction.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:12 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
It would be nice to take this further and have a button that showed total cost, including tax, shipping, and BP at the bottom of each lot description. I know taxes vary, but once you are logged in the auction site knows who you are and can be programmed to individualize the quote.
The grand total would be nice to see in one place and I like the idea of calculating the tax. The only issue I could see is winning multiple lots combining shipping in that case, but if you gave the total for that one lot knowing combined shipping would cost less, that would be a great start.

I really don't care to defend HA, when bidding on an item on the item page they do show you the amount with buyers premium, they give you the option to calculate shipping, and you should know your tax rate. Nothing on the cost for them should come as a surprise. That said, I wish all auction houses at least provided that all that info.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-04-2022, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

For at least the 1000th time on this site, the premium and what you call it are meaningless. I am willing to spend, say, $120 for a card, plus tax and shipping. If it's ebay, where ebay makes its cut from charging the seller a portion of the hammer price, I'll bid $120. If it's an auction house with a 20 percent "buyer's premium," I'll bid $100 and pay $120. It's the same thing. Rob has been fighting this for years, but never explains why, just rants and raves about buyer's premiums as if the buyer is being forced to pay more by the greedy auction house. He isn't. It's purely a matter of allocation between the auction house and the consignor.

The premium could be 30 percent, or 50 percent, or 90 percent. I don't care at all. The consignor is the one who should care, because they're only getting the hammer price.

If someone bidding in an auction in this day and age is so out of it that they don't realize a BP is going to be added to their bid, well, that's their funeral.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Eric Perry

Does Heritage charge a minimum BP of $29 per item…or…if a bidder wins multiple lots, is the total BP a minimum of $29?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 06-04-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:25 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

It is per lot. If you don't want to pay more than $30, don't bid more than $1. No combined BP.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2022, 07:23 PM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So how much should the OP have bid for the card in the first post if he was willing to shell out $3X to have the card added to his collection??
It’s in the terms of the auctions rules at any you go, it isn’t complicated
Old 06-04-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For at least the 1000th time on this site, the premium and what you call it are meaningless. I am willing to spend, say, $120 for a card, plus tax and shipping. If it's ebay, where ebay makes its cut from charging the seller a portion of the hammer price, I'll bid $120. If it's an auction house with a 20 percent "buyer's premium," I'll bid $100 and pay $120. It's the same thing. Rob has been fighting this for years, but never explains why, just rants and raves about buyer's premiums as if the buyer is being forced to pay more by the greedy auction house. He isn't. It's purely a matter of allocation between the auction house and the consignor.

The premium could be 30 percent, or 50 percent, or 90 percent. I don't care at all. The consignor is the one who should care, because they're only getting the hammer price.

If someone bidding in an auction in this day and age is so out of it that they don't realize a BP is going to be added to their bid, well, that's their funeral.
Peter, you know the definition of insanity…. Just let it go, life is too short!!
Old 06-04-2022, 09:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Same economics is the reason you pay more per ounce for 8 oz of peanut butter compared to 32 oz of peanut butter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-04-2022, 09:30 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:

I do not understand why so many people have a hard time figuring out all of the fees. Unless the fees are not disclosed, then I have no idea why anyone complains. If you do not like their rules, then do not use that company. Simple as that.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:43 AM
Jeff P

Get in the habit of reading the rules each auction house publishes. It will tell you all you need to know about BPs, whether the auction house can bid on items themselves (many can!), minimum BP amounts, extra shipping costs for large items, etc.

If you don't do this, buyer beware. And it's your own fault if you mess up. Telling Heritage how to run their business is a joke.

jeff
Old 06-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
I do not understand why so many people have a hard time figuring out all of the fees. Unless the fees are not disclosed, then I have no idea why anyone complains. If you do not like their rules, then do not use that company. Simple as that.
I'm impressed by all the collectors here who have never spent one penny over their "Max" due to the Buyer's Premium....and their very tiny collections.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Get in the habit of reading the rules each auction house publishes. It will tell you all you need to know about BPs, whether the auction house can bid on items themselves (many can!), minimum BP amounts, extra shipping costs for large items, etc.

If you don't do this, buyer beware. And it's your own fault if you mess up. Telling Heritage how to run their business is a joke.

jeff
It's America...Everyone has the right to defend the people that take their money.

I'm sure those people also defend Jeff Bezos, Donald Trump, Stan Kroenke, Comcast, ExxonMobil and stadium beer prices, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-05-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

I hear buyer's premiums are much lower in Venezuela.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:29 AM
Rob

Buy Canadian, the exchange rate is about the same as the vig.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Here's a humorous explanation of why Buyer's Premiums exist...From an auction house of course. One I've never used and likely never will...

When attending an auction keep in mind that the buyer's premium is used to enhance the customer experience. The buyer's premium is charged so buyers are comfortable during the time of auctions and so the auction can operate efficiently. The extra charge is always put to good use.
I own an auction house and that's the weirdest, lamest explanation of BP I've ever heard.

BP was implemented by Christies and Sotheby's in the art world (some debate about who was first) to give them a competitive advantage in securing consignments by offering lower seller commissions. It's literally a shell game the same money is coming from somewhere, and ultimately should make no difference in what a consignor is paid or what a buyer pays. That being said, since it's become the industry norm it would be tough to just put the entire percentage you collect back on the seller as it had been previously, hence the proliferation.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-05-2022, 02:50 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Is the buyer's premiums for the auction stated in the consignment contract for any AH?
We state the BP in our consignor contracts.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-05-2022, 02:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey2296 View Post
nobody's getting rich at 20% gross margin before expenses.
thank you!

Old 06-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It would be nice next time I ordered a steak at a fancy restaurant if there was a button I could push that told me how much it REALLY costs. Price on the menu is bullshit. There is a tip and tax. Sometimes even a tip for the valet parking guy. How these guy get away with such highway robbery is beyond me. Price on the menu don't mean anything.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:57 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I should have prefaced my comment to not include the big AH's like Heritage that auctions everything under the sun. My comment was more for the medium to smaller auction houses. I see how hard these guys work every auction, I also know that 20% margin before expenses in any business is pretty skinny, and they don't always make 20% on the premier offerings. There are AH owners on this sub smarter than me so maybe they can comment on the economics.
Our average Gross margin is 28% that's BP and commission (which isn't fixed) combined. I'm not starving, but I'm not driving a Ferrari either.

That 28% -

has to cover rent and utilities, salaries, advertising, the auction software costs, travel and show fees, etc.

Yes if your average sale is making millions 28% is killing it. In another thread someone mentioned Real Estate Agents and Car Dealers as companies that operate on thinner margins, but what is their average transaction? Our average transaction is a little over $100 and that $30 we get out of that has to go a long way in a lot of directions!

Old 06-05-2022, 03:54 PM

If you think BPs are high in the states then try doing business overseas. The record auctions I participate in commonly run anywhere from 27-30%!
Old 06-06-2022, 07:37 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

A good friend of mine works in the high end art business. He says if there is one AH to steer clear of, it’s Heritage.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay out of principal alone.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
REA and........ REA !

REA, as much as I love them, quoted me a seller's consignment fee. Therefore, I took my almost $10,000 card elsewhere.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:46 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Personally, I wouldn’t pay out of principal alone.
What principal? That you didn't read the terms or observe what the fees would be when they are shown or easily figured out? The OP in this case isn't making any excuses and realizes he got complacent in the way he estimated the costs.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:49 AM
Rob

Quote:
What principal? That you didn't read the terms or observe what the fees would be when they are shown or easily figured out? The OP in this case isn't making any excuses and realizes he got complacent in the way he estimated the costs.
The principal that an auction house shouldn't have policies that discourage bidding?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:57 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
The principal that an auction house shouldn't have policies that discourage bidding?
Then simply don't bid in the first place. If your placing a bid than you are agreeing to the terms even if you don't like them. Don't wait until you win to say you disagree with what you are going to be charged.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I hear buyer's premiums are much lower in Venezuela.
And the price is still higher when it ships than when you bid... gotta love that crazy inflation.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:19 AM
James

I paid, and await. No biggie to me, just a reminder why I should not be bidding half asleep in bed. Greg Morris on Ebay is doing a fine job with their auctions, and REA has been 100 percent professional since I started purchasing from them as well.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:46 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
I paid, and await. No biggie to me, just a reminder why I should not be bidding half asleep in bed. Greg Morris on Ebay is doing a fine job with their auctions, and REA has been 100 percent professional since I started purchasing from them as well.
But Heritage no longer gets your business, correct?
Old 07-10-2022, 08:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The simplest thing would be to take the % out of the overall sale price, like eBay, but then that % of people who either miss the BP or cannot do the math to factor it into their bids would not overbid. Multiply that by thousands of bidders a year and the advantage to the house is apparent.

FWIW, I bid on some cheap HA lots tonight and the system noted the $29 BP on the bidding page, so no mystery there.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...