NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Tony Baldwin

Default Grading Older Cards

I never understood grades of older cards. I've seen some that looked really nice for their age (early 1900's), but the grade seemed low to me. Are they graded with the same grading system for later year and current cards? I just don't think you can use one grading system for all cards. You have to consider the age and all the years it had to survive until today. Just curious from those collectors who collector early cards. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
I never understood grades of older cards. I've seen some that looked really nice for their age (early 1900's), but the grade seemed low to me. Are they graded with the same grading system for later year and current cards? I just don't think you can use one grading system for all cards. You have to consider the age and all the years it had to survive until today. Just curious from those collectors who collector early cards. Thanks!
I was the same as you, thought older ones might be graded different, but from my short time on here, and what I have found in my research, it seems they are all graded the same.

I have noticed, and you will to, if you search e-bay, A/H's, and the like, the grading system is a lot more strict nowadays than it use to be imo.

I have seen some older graded cards receive a 4 or better but then you see a newer card graded lower that is in way better condition/shape.

If I was smart, I would have had mine graded years ago as I am now afraid that most of mine will receive a 2 or 3, if I am lucky, whereas if I had them done years ago, most would have received a 5 to 7, imo.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Fred

I think the whole idea is to grade all cards the same, regardless of what era they are from. Grading consistently will contribute to low populations of the better condition older/vintage cards, as it should be.

What this does is create the market we are seeing where people feel they have to have the best and will pay dearly for it. In many cases this seems to have increased the value of the lesser condition cards because of the money people will spend on the harder to find better condition cards. Maybe I'm off here.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Tony Baldwin

Thanks! I just don't get it. For cards in the early 1900's to survive so long, you just have to grade them differently. I've seen some 2 and 3's that really looked nice, and I couldn't figure out why they weren't a 5 or 6.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I think the whole idea is to grade all cards the same, regardless of what era they are from. Grading consistently will contribute to low populations of the better condition older/vintage cards, as it should be.

What this does is create the market we are seeing where people feel they have to have the best and will pay dearly for it. In many cases this seems to have increased the value of the lesser condition cards because of the money people will spend on the harder to find better condition cards. Maybe I'm off here.
I agree.

Quote:
Thanks! I just don't get it. For cards in the early 1900's to survive so long, you just have to grade them differently. I've seen some 2 and 3's that really looked nice, and I couldn't figure out why they weren't a 5 or 6.
When you search and find older cards that are in fact in mint shape, you realize they have to grade lesser cards accordingly.

Look up mint Mantles, Clements, etc etc etc. Some of those cards, surprisingly, look like they just came out of the wrapper.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Often

People confuse eye appeal and technical grade. I do not think they should be graded differently other than factoring in cutting and printing technologies for the era. Eye appeal does effect pricing though and is a reason some cards sell for more than others even in the same technical grade.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There is a wide variety in the Fair to Poor range for early cards. Ranging from genuinely poor to nice looking but worn. I've been surprised at the nice eye appeal of some cards graded 1 or 2.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Archive

Quote:
When you say "I've seen", do you mean that you had the cards in hand, with a loupe, or on a computer screen?

Some grading companies will give a nice looking card a lower grade if the submitter requests no qualifiers. So instead of grading a card a 5 with a MK (mark) qualifier, the card will get a grade of a 3.

Other grading companies don't issue qualifiers when grading and place a lower grade accordingly, so this also may be why you see a nice card with a low grade.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

In other words, buy the card not the holder.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:53 PM
David Kathman

This is an issue that has been argued in the hobby for decades. The third-party grading companies were created to solve it, and while they have done a lot to reduce confusion, they have not made the issue go away, as this thread shows.

In the olden days (the 1980s and earlier), card grading was very subjective and based primarily on eye appeal. In old hobby publications from the 70s, you see people complaining that they bought a card described as EX, but it had a big crease or something. Even as recently as 20 years ago, you would see cards described in ads as "EX-MT but with pinhole". I think most of us can figure out what that card would look like -- a clean, uncreased card with sharp corners but a pinhole at the top -- but a TPG today would give that card a 1, maybe a 2 tops. The TPGs assign their grades systematically, deducting for flaws such as creases, worn corners, paper loss, etc. (Well, it's supposed to be systematic, but we all know they make mistakes and there's an element of subjectivity.) It doesn't matter how old the card is (at least in theory) or what set it's from; if it has certain flaws, its grade will be reduced.

A card's technical grade tells you what flaws it has, but it doesn't necessarily say anything about its eye appeal, and the desirability of cards at different technical grades varies hugely depending on the age of the card. There are very few PSA 7-8-9 T206s out there, and they command a huge premium over PSA 4s and 5s, let alone 1s and 2s. But there are many more T206s in those lower grades, and plenty of collectors are happy to own them, so there's a healthy market for them and lots of them still get graded by the TPGs. On the other hand, for most card sets since 1980, there are tons of PSA 7-8-9-10 cards out there, and anything below that won't have much value, and few of them get graded by the TPGs.

Below are two articles from 1973 that illustrate how long this exact conversation has been going on. The first, by Cooper Long, was in The Ballcard Collector #94 (March 1973). He describes getting a bunch of cards that had been described as EX-MT, but some of them had writing on the front. He suggests that there should uniform guidelines for grading cards, but also says that, of course, you can't grade a T206 the same as a 1972 Topps; you have to take its age into account. Three issues later in Ballcard Collector #97 (April 1973 #2), Lionel Carter replied to Long, strongly disagreeing that age should have any impact on a card's grade. As he so often was, Carter was ahead of his time, anticipating the way most collectors (and the TPGs) think about card condition today.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Tony Baldwin

Great points! I think I do get caught up in the eye appeal.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:14 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
In many cases this seems to have increased the value of the lesser condition cards because of the money people will spend on the harder to find better condition cards. Maybe I'm off here.
Not off at all. Classic example: 1952 Topps #1 Andy Pafko.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The only qualifier PSA will not add when requesting no qualifiers is OC. Mk and ST as well as MC will still be noted on the holder

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The only qualifier PSA will not add when requesting no qualifiers is OC. Mk and ST as well as MC will still be noted on the holder
If that was true every 1914 Cracker Jack would have a ST on the flip...
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
In other words, buy the card not the holder.
+1. Words to collect by.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

With regard to the whole debate of whether or not older and newer cards should be graded in the same way, it helps to take a page from archaeology.

For centuries, the only royal tombs found in Egypt were destroyed by time and/or plundered by ancient grave robbers. So all the tombs uncovered by archaeologists were in pretty rough shape and it seemed that nothing better would ever be found. But they were undoubtedly very excited that these sites were discovered in the first place. If these tombs were graded based primarily on the fact that they simply survived all of these years, then each would've received a high mark. So what would have happened to this grading system when Howard Carter stumbled onto King Tut's tomb in 1922? A nearly pristine, nearly entirely complete tomb with all of its riches intact. If an old rundown tomb got an ESA (Egyptian Site Authenticators) 8, Tut's tomb would have had to be given an EGA 13!!!!

(It's a metaphor, so if any of you closet Egyptologists are going to chime in and 'correct' me on certain facts, save it.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

I would never send in a card I thought would get a SGC10, unless scarce.

Look at this recent card I got back. Some paper loss on the back, but a 10?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSCN0003.jpg (76.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg KSCN0004.jpg (79.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Derek G.

That Snodgrass looks like it got short graded, to me. But I know SGC is strict with paper loss and glue residue, and have gotten tighter over the years.

Last edited by coolshemp; 02-11-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I think that certain cards should be graded different . Like 1951 Bowman horizontal pictures .( You know the names ) so I think the bottom boarder should be a bit smaller imo. (Left to right if it was horizontal). Most of the cards I see this way look muck better then perfectly centered .

First and last cards should be given some kind of special quillifiers. Condition sensitive ( CS). Just so you know it seen more of the brunt . Also this could apply to very certain sets .

The other is cards that have rough edges. That is the definition of mint . Factory fresh .
Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I think that certain cards should be graded different . Like 1951 Bowman horizontal pictures .( You know the names ) so I think the bottom boarder should be a bit smaller imo. (Left to right if it was horizontal). Most of the cards I see this way look muck better then perfectly centered .

First and last cards should be given some kind of special quillifiers. Condition sensitive ( CS). Just so you know it seen more of the brunt . Also this could apply to very certain sets .

The other is cards that have rough edges. That is the definition of mint . Factory fresh .
See Dustin, that makes perfect sense. CS. Because they are. Especially the vintage cards. The first and last cards did take the most beatings. That should be taken into account.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
See Dustin, that makes perfect sense. CS. Because they are. Especially the vintage cards. The first and last cards did take the most beatings. That should be taken into account.

Makes perfect sense to me.
I think they already are? Price out a 52 Topps Mathews. It's priced, obviously because it's a high number but also due to what you mention above.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ps+mathews+psa