NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Andy Davis

Default 1914-15 cracker jack sets advice needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone on this board ever put either one of these sets together in low grade condition(PSA 1-3 or SGC equivalent)? What are the tougher cards to get(other than the superstars) I was thinking about slowly putting one of them together in low grade so I thought I would start off by asking some experienced collectors their opinions on which cards are tough, where to start, and any other advice/info you could give me on these sets. I'm fairly new to these boards, but I have collected since I was 12 years old, and even though I am only 31 years old the only cards that I am really interested in are vintage. I am currently working on 33 george c millers, 38 goudeys, and 1922 121 American Caramels. Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 PM

This one might be the toughest:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Cracker Jack Pratt [Front].jpg (25.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Marty K.

Default 1915 Cracker Jack

Hello ...I have been tracking these on ebay daily for over five years and at the last 7 or so Nationals. The prices haven't been lower then right now and the amount of cards available at least on e-bay has grown considerably. I would buy clean 3, 4, 5 because right now on commons the difference in cost isn't that much. You will probably sell them one day and these will be easier to sell. There are a few that just don't seem to come up very often . VCP might help you come to some conclusions about this. Good Luck! I have been picky on what fits my set. Right now I need Evers, Mc Innis, Rousch, Johnson, Meyers, Jackson. Lately I was asleep and missed two of these that would have fit my set nicely.....Again Good luck.

P.S. For some reason there isn't to much talk about CJ's on this Board?
To common I guess?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Barry

It is great to see others interested in collecting Cracker Jacks. I too have had a relatively low key presence on the board, but I certainly read it every day and have been doing so for 2 years (or so). I am collecting the 1914 CJ set and own about 60 of the set, so far. It seems clearly more difficult to collect than the 1915 set and the cards generally are in lower grade condition (because they were packaged directly with the cracker jack product and one could not send to the company and receive an entire set). I have tried to collect cards with good visual appeal, regardless of their grade, and have cards ranging from PSA 1-5 in my collection. It has been difficult for me to get a handle on the difficulty of specific cards, but Brian certainly seems correct in that the Del Pratt card is considered the most difficult card in the set (although its population is not the lowest of the cards). My understanding is that Pratt's family purchases the card whenever one becomes available. Luckily I happened upon one on Ebay several years ago and purchased it for what seems like a bargain now.

I am listing the populations of the cards in the 1914 CJ set for which their are 15 or fewer cards graded by PSA and SGC together. I certainly understand that this may represent an overestimate of the actual number of cards out there, as it is difficult to compensate for crossovers, etc. Also, it does not take into consideration cards graded by GAI, Beckett, etc. I have put an asterisk next to those cards that I am fortunate enough to own.

-----------------------------PSA--------SGC----TOTAL
#41 Thomas Leach----------9-----------4--------13 (*)
#74 Frank Owen-------------7----------3---------10 (*)
#86 Burt Shotten------------8----------4---------12 (*)
#87 Hick Cady---------------8----------4---------12
#89 Lawrence Cheney------9-----------5---------14 (*)
#90 Frank Smith------------8-----------5---------13
#92 Al Demaree-------------9----------4---------13 (*)
#93 Del Pratt----------------6-----------5---------11 (*)
#95 Ray Keating-------------9-----------4--------13
#96 Beals Becker------------9----------4---------13
#118 Ed Konetchy-----------9-----------5---------14
#120 Mickey Doolan--------10----------5---------15 (*)
#129 Ray Caldwell----------8-----------7---------15 (*)
#137 Bill Rariden-----------10----------4---------14
#139 Ernest Oakes---------11----------4---------15 (*)

I have always viewed obtaining the other cards in the set as a matter of having enough funds, but that they would be attainable.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your collecting.

Regards,

Barry
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM

I haven't seen very many '14 Cicotte's. Lots of '15's out there but not many 1914's.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
I haven't seen very many '14 Cicotte's. Lots of '15's out there but not many 1914's.
I actually am aware of the 1914 Cicotte as I had one and always regretted selling it.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Steve Smith

At one time I was within 20 cards of a complete set, but had to sell them off to pay off my youngest daughters medical bills. I had all of the hall of famers and the very expensive mathewson was only missing some of the high numbers. Pratt will be your hardest to find the others are out there they might just cost you a bit of scratch. My advice is to pic up every one you see for a great price and upgrade later. Below I have pictures some of the psa's I actually was at PSA set #7. I can't find the sgc pics.

[IMG]mathewson[/IMG]

[IMG]cj p4[/IMG]

cj p3

[IMG]cj p2[/IMG]

cj p1