NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 AM
David M.

Default Same Item at Auction House and Ebay

I was looking at the offerings from one of the big auction houses, and in an effort to see what one of their items should sell for, looked it up on ebay. Not only did I find a similar item, I found the SAME ITEM with the same SGC serial number. The ebay seller is "Top Rated Plus" and has 100% feedback. While the AH is one of the big ones with a nationally advertised auction. So what's going on? Is this just some sort of screw up by the ebay seller, or is this a common practice in case the AH doesn't sell the item for enough money? I really wondered, what happens if I win the auction?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 07-20-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Scott Russell

um, details would be nice.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Larry More.y

Could the ebay seller have consigned the item to the AH, ended the ebay listing when he sent the item off to the AH, then failed to delete the item from his unsold item list and then mistakenly relist the card? I would contact the ebay seller and see if this is the case.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 07-20-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
um, details would be nice.
I would, but I'm bidding on the item and I don't want to out an active listing. Plus, I hesitate to drag someone thru the mud when it could be an honest mistake. I just wanted to know if this was a common practice.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Could the ebay seller have consigned the item to the AH, ended the ebay listing when he sent the item off to the AH, then failed to delete the item from his unsold item list and then mistakenly relist the card? I would contact the ebay seller and see if this is the case.
I was thinking it might be this type of situation. I would have to try to contact the seller.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Did you call the auction house?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

There are some auction houses doing auctions through ebay. Perhaps it is the same auction?

Jeff
Old 07-20-2016, 01:58 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
There are some auction houses doing auctions through ebay. Perhaps it is the same auction?

Jeff
No, couldn't be. Ebay is a "buy it now", while the other is an auction.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Did you call the auction house?
I contacted them on their live chat. The following took place:

Question: You have an item in your auction, an xxx baseball card, that is also listed as a "buy it now" on ebay. Are you aware of this? It is for sale by xxx on ebay.

Agent Joel has entered at 1:07 PM
1:07 PM Joel

Hello David
Auction houses do sell on other platforms for the same lots.

We advise auction houses to be very attentive once the sale goes live to sell the lot to the correct platform.

1:11 PM David Maupin

I'm not sure I understand. This item is "for sale". Not an auction on ebay. I can go buy it now and then it will not be available at auction.

1:12 PM Joel

If they sell the lot they will then have to remove it from their catalog on our platform.

Auction houses have 2 hours prior to the sale to remove or add lots to their sale.

Now if they do not remove the lot and sell to LiveAuctioneer bidder and someone does buy it on another platform that will cause problems and we would have to intervene in the case.

1:17 PM David Maupin

Well, it's still on ebay and your auction goes live in 45 minutes. I bet if I'm high bidder for less than they want on ebay, they won't sell it.

1:19 PM Joel

We have no control over that. We only will intervene if they sell it to LiveAuctioneers buyer and do not fulfill the transaction.

1:20 PM David Maupin

That's what I'm saying. If I buy it in your auction for less than it is advertised on ebay, they may suddenly pull the lot and say it is "unavailable".

1:21 PM Joel

As stated they can make any changes 2 hours prior to the sale.

If the sale is live they cannot make any changes.

1:22 PM David Maupin

OK. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

disregard, we were typing at same time

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 07-20-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: no need
Old 07-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Wow, as soon as the item closes, please name this AH.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:21 PM
David M.

Here's the item I was referring to. It sold at Saco River Auction today for $1400 + buyer's premium. It's still listed on ebay as "buy it now" for $2499.99. I guess I was talking to a LiveAuctioneer rep, not a Saco River rep in the above message since I was signed into their site. Somehow you can bid through that site, rather than Saco River which is what I did. Anyway, I would guess that the ebay seller just forgot to remove this card from his sale list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N28 Kelly Front.jpg (74.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg N28 Kelly Back.jpg (78.3 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 07-20-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Did you win it?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM
David M.

No. Although it went cheap.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:40 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default hmmmmm

about 1700. for a lower end ex is cheap? I gave up my set a while back but that seems like a not that cheap price - forget about the 2500. bin. I will admit to not currently having access to any price guides and retaining a poor memory.

edited to add that I'm not trying to be snarky although it may read that way. Curious is all.

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 07-21-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
about 1700. for a lower end ex is cheap? I gave up my set a while back but that seems like a not that cheap price - forget about the 2500. bin. I will admit to not currently having access to any price guides and retaining a poor memory.

edited to add that I'm not trying to be snarky although it may read that way. Curious is all.
Give or take a few hundred the price sounds about right to me too.

But if 2 crazy collectors fought for it in an auction I could see close to the BIN.....
Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Jeff Lowe

I guess I don't understand the strategy . Hope for a high BINon eBay while on another auction may seem ambiguous to many potential buyers .
Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Mark Medlin

I bid some pretty outrageous prices on several lots of ungraded 1950 bowman baseball. I bid high enough I thought I would win several. Win the smoke cleared, I wasn't even close. I felt Saco got top money on the bowmans. Prices are crazy right now.

Mark
Old 07-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
I bid some pretty outrageous prices on several lots of ungraded 1950 bowman baseball. I bid high enough I thought I would win several. Win the smoke cleared, I wasn't even close. I felt Saco got top money on the bowmans. Prices are crazy right now.

Mark
The Robinson was nuts
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I've done this exact thing before. Didn't realize until I got an offer.