NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 AM

Default Thoughts on an auction house screw up

Hey Guys, I recently won a card for $1,600 from a major auction house. They shipped my card to my billing address despite me providing them with a shipping address. The card was attempted for delivery at my billing address but no one was there so the card is being held at a FedEx office. It is a huge hassle for me to go down to the FedEx office to pick up the card that was shipped to my billing address. Is this a big deal? Should I request some type of compensation from the auction house? Like some type of voucher? I'm really annoyed that they would be so careless with my card.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Dave_Berg

I think a friendly reminder to the AH that you have a seperate shipping address should suffice.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Bi11..R0berts

If it were me, I'd just send note letting them know of the mistake and let it go this time. If it continues to happen on any future purchases, I'd take it farther.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Dave

Can you request FedEx forward the package to the address of your choosing? Or the auction house can request to forward the package to your alternative address?

When I worked at UPS we handled address changes all the time.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Can you request FedEx forward the package to the address of your choosing? Or the auction house can request to forward the package to your alternative address?

When I worked at UPS we handled address changes all the time.
This is what I would do.

James
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Al Richter

Default $1600

For $1600 I would pick that thing up myself, hassle or not, rather than taking a chance that between the Auction House and carrier they now get it to you at another address. Then send note to AH asking for refund on shipping. You may not get it, but better to have an expensive card's fate in your own hands at this point
Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 AM

That is why I arranged for pick up instead of re-delivery. I don't want to risk anything with such an expensive card. My billing address is an apartment building with many tenants, which is the exact reason I specified it be shipped elsewhere. It just really bothers me that they would be so careless. I checked my invoice it very clearly says Bill To and Ship To and they are two different addresses.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Their mistake; their duty to make it right. But good luck with that.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM

The other thing that really bugs me is that if the FedEx guy gave it to some random person at the building the AH would probably just say "it was delivered not our problem" even though it was sent to the wrong address. This has now become my problem when all I did was pay promptly and give easy to follow instructions on where to send the card.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
If it were me, I'd just send note letting them know of the mistake and let it go this time. If it continues to happen on any future purchases, I'd take it farther.
I would do this also. This has happened to me before where a major AH shipped to my billing address instead of my shipping address. Basically, my billing address is my home where USPS/FedEx/UPS often just leave very expensive packages outside my door where anybody can get them or just toss them over my backyard fence, or of course, mis-deliver to my neighbors, all of which has happened. Therefore, I just ship to my office, where I haven't lost or had a single mis-delivered package.

For the auction house that this happened to me on, what happened was that they had updated the Shipping Address in their system, but hadn't updated the Shipping Address within their UPS system. Once they fixed that, all was good. The other thing that I've done is that now I use my work address for both my billing and shipping address. So, if I get invoices sent to my work address, it's no big deal, but then this way, there is only one address the AH has, so there *shouldn't* be any shipping errors.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 PM

The issue is that they require your debit card in order to register. My debit card has a different address associated with it even though I don't use to pay for winnings. I always send a check. So they wouldn't even have that address if they didn't require it to register.

I sent them a note asking for a refund on shipping since it was $16 I didn't need to spend.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Hey Guys, I recently won a card for $1,600 from a major auction house. They shipped my card to my billing address despite me providing them with a shipping address. The card was attempted for delivery at my billing address but no one was there so the card is being held at a FedEx office. It is a huge hassle for me to go down to the FedEx office to pick up the card that was shipped to my billing address. Is this a big deal? Should I request some type of compensation from the auction house? Like some type of voucher? I'm really annoyed that they would be so careless with my card.
That's happened to me a couple times over the years. I didn't really think about it too much, just went to the fedex and picked it up before they sent it back.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:24 PM
keith janosky

For a $1,600 card I would definitely go pick it up myself and avoid any other problems like it getting lost or delivery problems or getting stolen on your doorstep any variety of things as long as you know it's sitting at the FedEx office I would just avoid any problems and go get it myself. That's a lot of money to be letting float around and avoid any more problems. Then get ahold of the auction house and tell him the situation to see if they would do anything for you.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM
pete ullman

i too have had this happen to me...by the same auction house a few times...each time I told them to please send to the send to address...not the billing address.

So I sucked it up and picked up the items from the fed ex facility 20 miles away.

I don't deal with this house anymore...for a myriad or reasons.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Pete Sycks

I've had auction houses send it to my house 2 houses ago in a different state before. I've called them and told them what my address was and they called up UPS and corrected the problem. Not a big deal if it happens once, but it's happened numerous times. I always hold high end cards coming in at fedex anyways.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sounds like a human mistake on shipping to the wrong place.

A note from an ex-auctioneer, if you move, make sure you change your shipping address in the auction systems. We had many, many people move and never say anything so we shipped to incorrect addresses. It happens...

Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Bry@n

I think you should definitely get a refund on the shipping charges but I wouldn't hold out hope for more than that.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Haven't even received a response from the house. Real classy. Will never bid again. PM me if you want to know the AH. Human error or not, if one of the tenants at the apartment building they shipped to (despite my directions) would have claimed the package as their own and kept it, I have no doubt the AH would have hid behind the billing address and delivery and refused to refund me. So while this might be a small issue in reality, the truth is I could be out a $1,600 card due to no fault of my own.

Last edited by packs; 07-20-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
For $1600 I would pick that thing up myself, hassle or not, rather than taking a chance that between the Auction House and carrier they now get it to you at another address. Then send note to AH asking for refund on shipping. You may not get it, but better to have an expensive card's fate in your own hands at this point
+1 there, and make sure the auction house has the address straight in their records for the future.

Best always,

Larry
Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Haven't even received a response from the house. Real classy. Will never bid again. PM me if you want to know the AH. Human error or not, if one of the tenants at the apartment building they shipped to (despite my directions) would have claimed the package as their own and kept it, I have no doubt the AH would have hid behind the billing address and delivery and refused to refund me. So while this might be a small issue in reality, the truth is I could be out a $1,600 card due to no fault of my own.
Name the house. Back up your position and walk away.
...whatever I want
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Their mistake; their duty to make it right. But good luck with that.
I agree with this too.....human mistake, we all make them, but do the right thing and help the customer out.

Last edited by Leon; 07-21-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'd forget it and not aggravate myself too badly about what could have happened . . . but you got to wonder. Pretty fundamental screw up for someone whose business it is to sell and mail things.

Reminder to check the website of the AHs you are registered with periodically and confirm that everything is hunky dory.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 AM

I agree it was a human mistake but like I said I have no doubts that if someone else were to have swiped my package the AH would cite the delivery confirmation and never refund me. That's where my issue lies, because that's the scenario I wanted to avoid when I provided a shipping address.

Last edited by packs; 07-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Jason S!m@nds

This happens to me every once in a while - I live in a walk up. You need a key to enter the foyer and there is a mail box inside. Generally, packages are left on the floor at the foot of the mailboxes. There are only four apartments, so I have never had an issue with theft, but I intentionally have all my eBay, PayPal and AH shipping addresses set to a different location.