NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Scott S

Default What card did you never think you'd own, but now you do?

Growing up, I always remember the allure of the 1952 Topps Mantle, but was more intrigued by the 1951 Bowman one, especially enjoying that it was produced a year earlier, during Mantle's actual rookie season. But I thought the price tag was higher than I would ever be able to afford.

Many many years have passed since I first dreamed of owning one, and I now have acquired a '51 Mantle. It's not perfect, but it makes me quite happy......

Would love to hear about other cards you never thought you'd get to acquire, but have been able to do so!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 mantle 1.jpg (78.1 KB, 1499 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Nice card Scott...terrific color and registration! Congrats!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM

For me it's the Newsboy Cabinet of Mike Tiernan. They are uncommon for starters but I finally had the right combination of timing, money and a seller willing to let me pay it off over a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 PM

For me it was a T206 Magie and at the time, I didn't think I would ever get one because my card budget was about $200-300 a month. In fact, the only reason I got the card is because I showed it to my dad and then after I went to work, he won it off Ebay.

That was an odd phone call at the time, around late 2000, maybe early 2001. He called me at work, told me he won the card, then said you can pay me back when you have the money. So I went from excited, to realizing I had a lot of money to pay back, then back to excited. He ended up taking some of the price off for either a birthday or Christmas present.

While I was paying off the Magie, he bid on a Plank and I had to draw the line there. He didn't come close to winning, but I pictured myself finally paying him back right around now.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 AM
Marc S.

Primarily because I believe this example is unique, this KBat cabinet of my favourite team with Harry featured prominently with tophat in the center still awes me everytime I look at it:

Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Primarily because I believe this example is unique, this KBat cabinet of my favourite team with Harry featured prominently with tophat in the center still awes me everytime I look at it:

Marc that is an amazing card!!!

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
For me it was a T206 Magie and at the time, I didn't think I would ever get one because my card budget was about $200-300 a month. In fact, the only reason I got the card is because I showed it to my dad and then after I went to work, he won it off Ebay.

That was an odd phone call at the time, around late 2000, maybe early 2001. He called me at work, told me he won the card, then said you can pay me back when you have the money. So I went from excited, to realizing I had a lot of money to pay back, then back to excited. He ended up taking some of the price off for either a birthday or Christmas present.

While I was paying off the Magie, he bid on a Plank and I had to draw the line there. He didn't come close to winning, but I pictured myself finally paying him back right around now.
You should have taken the Plank.....
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
You should have taken the Plank.....
I didn't like owing money, so at the time I remember having something like a dollar left to my name at the end of that first month of paying off the Magie because I gave everything to my dad. I couldn't picture five years straight of that same scenario each month. I would have actually paid it off sooner because my financial situation got better about a year or so later, but I didn't know that at the time.

I should have been a little more clear when I said I had a $200-300 card budget each month. I literally had a $200-300 budget each month for anything after I paid my bills, I just always spent it on cards, so there was nothing to cut back on to help pay it off quicker.

Would have been nice to get the Plank, but I don't regret it.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

I have a similar story. I was collecting the t206 set and got to 520 which at the time was the complete set in Beckett. They didn't count the big 3 as you never saw them. I figured that I was done. Then I had a chance to buy a Plank and Magie, but I was recently married and could no longer afford them. Fast forward to a couple of years ago at the National and I saw a Magie for sale. It was now in my budget by selling off duplicates from my collection. That gave me the drive to sell more cards to get my avatar.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

1910 Washington Times Frank Oberlin, it resided in an advanced collector's collection for ions and I had offered well in excess of $10K and couldn't pry it from him. I then won the exact card in an REA auction for $2750 after he sold his collection.....

Every now and again some dumb luck has to happen thank goodness.

Dan Mckee
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM

None yet, but I've got a list of cards that I want and I hope to be able to one day say "Never thought I'd get that one..." about at least one of them.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

For me, it's probably the Zeenut Jimmy Claxton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Claxton.jpg (6.9 KB, 982 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM
C@rl P@rk

Jason Greco touched on this, but oftentimes I still look at my whole collection with a childlike sense of amazement. Like many of us on here, I entered the hobby during the junk-wax mania and bought new factory sets and "special" sets (Donruss Opening Day, Donruss Baseball's Best, anyone?) because the older cards were permanently out of reach. Things to gaze at that sat in a display case, or to be owned only as detachable reprints from a glossy book my dad bought me. I eventually "outgrew" the hobby and never dreamt I'd be back in 20 years later.

I know I am a pretty small fish compared to many collectors, but to survey my collection now - to own all of the post-war rookies - Mantle! Mays! Aaron! - all of them! And on top of that, over half of the mythic T206 set, not to mention a bunch of other cards from the 30s, 40s and 50s - well, I never stop getting a thrill out of this fact. The 10 year-old collector in me is still alive and well and in disbelief that I grew up and is blessed enough to have the resources to afford an incredible collection of baseball cards that may as well have all cost a million dollars each back in the '80s. And that junior collector in me is also pretty thrilled that we finally have an '86 Donruss Canseco and '89 Ripken FF stashed away.

Last edited by KingFisk; 12-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Well, with apologies to the OP, I'll reverse his question:

What card did I always think I would eventually own, but never will:

1952 Topps #311- Mickey Mantle

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Sean Costello

Carl, great description of how it feels to collect something that you love. I feel the same way, I'm just much less eloquent about it.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
1910 Washington Times Frank Oberlin, it resided in an advanced collector's collection for ions and I had offered well in excess of $10K and couldn't pry it from him. I then won the exact card in an REA auction for $2750 after he sold his collection.....

Every now and again some dumb luck has to happen thank goodness.

Dan Mckee
Dan gives me hope that someday I'll get that T215 Merkle.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Default anson mayo

The card fell in my lap in a trade from a collector who contacted me out of the blue for a card he needed that I had won years ago in a B&L auction. (It helps that I'm not a stickler for condition.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anson.jpg (47.4 KB, 939 views)

Last edited by pete zouras; 12-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I'd look though those now old 1980's Beckett Magazines, look at the prices and the photos and wonder how on Earth anyone could afford those prices? I have 4: A Wilt Chamberlain RC, a 1957 Topps Gene Baker error and a guy I know was gracious enough to sell me a 1916 M101Holmes to Homes and Green-Joyce.

I think at some point we all ask ourselves "How did our collections get to this point?" Some of it was by sheer luck and through connections but all of it was through hard work and determination.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Duncan

Add me to the '51 Mantle crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 mantle.jpg (78.4 KB, 755 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default E121 Ruth

Since its now in-hand I can finally add mine to this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E121AmericanCaramelRuth.jpg (76.7 KB, 713 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I have several to be thankful for:
51 & 52 Mickey Mantle
48/9 Leaf Satchel Paige
Rc's of Mays, Aaron, Clemente & more
but I am more excited about my 1915 CJ Joe Jackson.
(pics are in my imgur link in my signature)
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Since its now in-hand I can finally add mine to this thread!
beautiful copy! congrats!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Thanks Pete!!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 PM
bR!@N R0+H

I honestly never thought I would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181129_105631.jpg (35.0 KB, 310 views)

Greenberg collection
Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 PM
�tis J�hns�n

1937 OPC DiMaggio. Never thought I'd find one I could afford, but I did.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sommer & Kaufmann is a really tough issue. There were two sets, 1948 and 1949. This is the 1949. ACC designation is H801-4B. PSA's total pop on the 1949 set is 13 cards with 0 Lefty O'Douls; the 1948 set has three cards graded, also 0 O'Doul cards. Now, since I am an O'Doul collector, I had been searching for this card for a while. When I saw the 1949 on eBay, signed, with a BIN, I couldn't believe it. I hadn't even seen the card before, nevermind a signed one. There are reprints and counterfeits of the S&K issues but the signature was a perfect vintage Lefty, that I was sure of, so I wasn't too worried about the card itself being a fake. It was like that Groucho Bowman card when I saw that. Didn't care about the price, just had to have it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...