NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Unique autograph collections?.....

So,
in a never ending quest for unique ideas for a collection, I have decided to TRY to collect official MLB World Series baseballs. From what I can see is that they started marking them in 1978 so that is where I am going to start. I know, you are saying that isn't very difficult, seeing that they are all pretty much available online....but here is the trick....I want to get each one signed by the series MVP. I do realize that Willie Stargell has passed, so Ill have to find one that has already been signed. 1978 is where I am going to start (Bucky Dent)...will be fun to see how many I can get. I'm sure it will be difficult to get them all signed, but that's part of the fun of it. Any thoughts are welcome........ or ideas for other "collections"?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Neat idea. Darrell Porter is deceased as well and I'd think might be challenging to find. Pat Borders and Frank Viola are currently minor league coaches in the Phillies and Mets organizations, respectively. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Richard Simon

Be careful. Older Official WS baseballs are a FAVORITE of forgers who try to give their fakes a vintage look.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Thank you guys for the input and the heads up.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM

WOW.....pricey!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darrell-Por...wAAOSwBDlapDcM
Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Neat idea. Darrell Porter is deceased as well and I'd think might be challenging to find. Pat Borders and Frank Viola are currently minor league coaches in the Phillies and Mets organizations, respectively. Good luck!
Wow, I did not realize he had died. I have a batting practice HR I think he hit (i made a tremendous catch and gloated too long to be positive it was him).

I like the OP's idea - good luck!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:15 PM

The most interesting autograph collections I have heard of are of those collectors who collect "tragic deaths." Herman Hill will always have a soft spot in my heart.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM

Thurman Munson is another.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Sounds like a pretty cool challenge. Best of luck with it. Each WS has so many memories and moments, so it should be a pretty cool collection!

I've tried picking up a game-used lineup card from the team that won the WS (any card from that season).

In the arena of "unique autograph collections" I collect lineup cards signed by managers who are in the HOF (do to efforts as a manager, player or otherwise).
I don't know anyone else who has tried a similar collection.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

How about Don Wilson under tragic deaths. Always thought it was suicide but was ruled accidental.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
How about Don Wilson under tragic deaths. Always thought it was suicide but was ruled accidental.
I thought it was a garage carbon monoxide death? Tragic in any event.

How about 'failed cannot miss';e.g. David Clyde, Cesar Cedeno and ilk. Or guys who were dead certain HOF at one point, then were not;e.g. Mattingly.

Or 'the next...' - Cedeno=Mays, Murcer=Mantle

Last edited by Runscott; 03-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Or JD "one foot in the hall of fame" Drew. Or Brien Taylor first guy to get over a million signing bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

How about 'failed cannot miss';e.g. David Clyde, Cesar Cedeno and ilk. Or guys who were dead certain HOF at one point, then were not;e.g. Mattingly.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Apparently they felt he accidently fell asleep drunk in the car with the engine running. Definitely tragic.

As for can't misses, Cedeno was definitely in that class. I'll never forget being the hero of my friends for getting his autograph when the Astros visited Dodger Stadium. He was a sure HOF'er...well, until he kill that hooker. LOL
Old 03-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Giovanni N.

I think my collection is pretty unique. I have an autograph of every single player who has debuted in major league baseball from 1946 to 2017. Now about to work on 2018 once the season starts.

That is over 11,350 different players, and 72 straight years.

What do you think, Unique?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Exceptionally commendable--especially considering the record speed in which it was assembled! Thankfully for those who both sell and appreciate the hunt, not entirely unique. .
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Curt

Maybe not unique, as that theme seems to be popular among autograph collectors, but sounds awesome. You have to wonder how many complete runs there may be out there too and how many really close, give a few toughies here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stat192 View Post
I think my collection is pretty unique. I have an autograph of every single player who has debuted in major league baseball from 1946 to 2017. Now about to work on 2018 once the season starts.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:

Wow! Are you going to go back earlier, or did you decide post-WWII is enough?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 AM
Brendan Mullen

Even Eddie Gaedel??

Last edited by Bpm0014; 03-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Pitchers that hurled no-hitters and perfect games 1893- present

I've certainly posted about this before, but I collect the signatures of all pitchers that have thrown a no-hitter or perfect game from 1893- present.
Currently I am still looking for less than 20 signatures.
A few of these signatures are either out of reach price-wise (Christy Mathewson) or are likely not findable/ affordable (Addie Joss).
The remaining names on my want list are players that are seldom seen or I haven't been fortunate enough to find- yet?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-21-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Giovanni N.

Yes even Eddie Gaedel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaedel.jpg (6.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Yes even Eddie Gaedel
Nice! Great collection, Giovanni!