NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Feedback

Hey y'all....

Hope everyone is having a great night. I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a YouTube project that I have going. As most of you know, I have a pretty large negro league card collection and I frequently get questions from people on the board (and eBay & SGC registry) about the cards, so I decided to make some videos.

I would love your feedback on the first two that I did. One is an intro, so not too important, but the 1909 Cabanas one is more important as I plan to do one on each Cuban / Puerto Rican set and another one for each key player (HOFers and other stars that are near HOFers).

Before I replicate something that everyone hates, would love to correct the errors. My wife has been kind enough to note the following:

1. Camera angle could be better / higher
2. Too much glare on when showing the cards
3. Do something besides sit there (I am not sure what I could do... but she says that I seem a bit bored)... change my intonation
4. Do not give enough background on the players or the history... but I was thinking of doing that in the specific player ones

Anyway, would appreciate the help as I will be putting in some time in hopes of helping educate the community on these cool pieces of history.

I am not exactly sure how to search YouTube, but my name on there is EPIC Cardboard and the first video is called Negro League baseball cards intro.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBi...xNtlijS0aGCpEw

Thanks for the help.

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Al Wright

Watched the intro video. You've got me hooked! The video quality is crystal clear - as good as I've ever seen. I don't have a Youtube account so couldn't leave a thumb up (which I can't stand anyway) or a comment. Will find time later to go back and see the first of the card videos. Looking forward to it.

You mentioned that you're writing a book on the best of the Negro League cards. I'm sure it will have a large audience. I also look forward to your covering the soccer (football). Since you mentioned that you have spent some years in Central/South America will the football coverage be centered on that area? One of my favorite football books was "Soccer In Sun And Shadow" by
Eduardo Galeano, and he painted remarkable vignettes of the game as it evolved in South America.

Looking forward to all that's to come.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Robert Klevens

I enjoyed both videos and look forward to seeing more of them.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Thanks....

When you get a chance, please watch the Cabanas one... I really want to make sure that I hit everything that could be important about the sets, so anything to add or leave out or any other feedback will be cool...

On the soccer / football side, I will have those on focus of the players and I plan on doing the top 100-200 players (where there are cards).... but will do the negro league cards first... appreciate the book reference!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Larry More.y

Informative video Al....thank you for posting
Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Barry Arnold

Default 2 videos

I,too, enjoyed your offerings. I'm weak in this area of scholarship and have been eager to see presentations such as these for some time now.
Noting that your wife's critique was so well done, I thought I'd add my own.

I was so 'hungry' to see cards and was disappointed that there were none shown in the intro. video of 15 minutes or so. I had the same 'hunger' as I turned to the second video and waited around 8 minutes or so before seeing, admittedly, some absolutely gorgeous cards. After a bit, you presented your 'one of ones' which were exquisite. Please don't wait so long for us to see your fine collection. Then we can see more and more and more!

I would offer a few more suggestions which you may wish to incubate a bit.
I'd like to see more of your collection on those shelves behind you!!! Perhaps a change of set design might be helpful.
You swing your chair 'to and fro' and scratch your nose a bit much. I'm sure you weren't aware of doing so but now you know.
Your presentation of your cards to the camera needs work. Perhaps putting them on a small stand or the like would help you not move the cards around so quickly and give the observer more of a chance to relish them. Perhaps there would be some way to leave them on the table off to your side so that we could continue to see them.

Very positively, your diction is clear and precise. I was pleased to see you stay focused on the history and scholarship with minimal 'ad libs' and limited excursus.
Your use of the original language of the cards at times was most pleasing.
Your recap (summary) was quite helpful. I hope to see these continue. I
appreciated your underscoring the rarity of your collection without any arrogance or ostentatious self-absorption. In fact, I applaud this.

Bottom line, I'm eager to see more of the videos. Congratulations on this very needed offering, Al.
My several cents,
all the best,
Barry
Old 01-15-2017, 08:57 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Great stuff, Al! Super cool to have collectors with depth and breadth sharing their knowledge like this.

My only piece of feedback is technical, and that would be to try and jigger it so that you're not looking slightly off camera. I assume you were looking at the monitor and not into the lens itself. It felt like you were speaking to someone standing behind me
Old 01-15-2017, 09:21 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
I,too, enjoyed your offerings. I'm weak in this area of scholarship and have been eager to see presentations such as these for some time now.
Noting that your wife's critique was so well done, I thought I'd add my own.

I was so 'hungry' to see cards and was disappointed that there were none shown in the intro. video of 15 minutes or so. I had the same 'hunger' as I turned to the second video and waited around 8 minutes or so before seeing, admittedly, some absolutely gorgeous cards. After a bit, you presented your 'one of ones' which were exquisite. Please don't wait so long for us to see your fine collection. Then we can see more and more and more!

I would offer a few more suggestions which you may wish to incubate a bit.
I'd like to see more of your collection on those shelves behind you!!! Perhaps a change of set design might be helpful.
You swing your chair 'to and fro' and scratch your nose a bit much. I'm sure you weren't aware of doing so but now you know.
Your presentation of your cards to the camera needs work. Perhaps putting them on a small stand or the like would help you not move the cards around so quickly and give the observer more of a chance to relish them. Perhaps there would be some way to leave them on the table off to your side so that we could continue to see them.

Very positively, your diction is clear and precise. I was pleased to see you stay focused on the history and scholarship with minimal 'ad libs' and limited excursus.
Your use of the original language of the cards at times was most pleasing.
Your recap (summary) was quite helpful. I hope to see these continue. I
appreciated your underscoring the rarity of your collection without any arrogance or ostentatious self-absorption. In fact, I applaud this.

Bottom line, I'm eager to see more of the videos. Congratulations on this very needed offering, Al.
My several cents,
all the best,
Barry
Thanks for the time and dedication in the responses... I really want everyone to enjoy these cards as much as I do and want to present them as best as possible. I will try to improve as I go and welcome "requests" and feedback. Need to enlist the help of my 12 year old to clean up some stuff here, but REALLY appreciate the great feedback
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Really enjoyed the videos and the content. A way to improve the presentation of the cards in future videos would be to acquire some basic Adobe or similar video editing software. When you record your video instead of holding the card in front of the camera just talk about it as if it can be seen. Then take your footage into the video editing software and overlay parts of it with high quality scans of the card. You can also add annotation graphics to point out features like the name variations. This will let us see more cards and let you concentrate on narrrarating and not focusing on your on-camera appearance.

You are doing an excellent job with the typical record and upload format most people use. However, utilizing Adobe Photoshop, Audition, and Premier Pro or similar products you can greatly enhance the quality of what you create.

Last edited by Shoebox; 01-16-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Al Jurgela

Great... thanks for the feedback... will look into those!

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Joe Drouillard

Fantastic resource, Al. I watched the 1909 Cabanas video. I thought you were well prepared. Enjoyed it very much and looked forward to seeing more.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Al Jurgela

Thanks Joe... I am trying to learn a new software to see if I can put scans on the screen instead of holding them up to the phone... hopefully everyone can enjoy the videos more that way.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Scott

Al,

Yes, great stuff! I agree with previous posts about integrating scans or superior graphics of your cards into the video.

One specific request: for your 1910 Punch cards, please include "Home Run" Johnson! I see that there are two SGC cards, but pictures of either one cannot be found on the internet or in Phil's book.

Thanks and keep it goin',
Scott
Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Jeremy W.

Al- Thank you. Amazing contribution. The yutube brought it to new level.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Al Jurgela

Default editing software....

OK guys, so I spent a few hours trying to figure out adobe premiere pro to no avail.... i did learn some basics on iMovie, so I think that I can sufficiently handle that one. The problem is going to be the card scans... As I have virtually all of the scans on my SGC registry, I may just need to reference people there as I cannot seem to add a small picture of the scan on my video... i guess that I am just inept at this editing thing.

Noted on the HR Johnson card. I have never released a scan, but I will put it in the video... in fact I shot the Punch video, but I have been struggling with the editing.... stay tuned... and again...

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards

Last edited by aljurgela; 01-16-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I've watched a couple of videos so far. Well done, sir. I have a few suggestions, some of which have been mentioned already:

1) I would suggest switching to a non-rotating chair. You sway back and forth and rotate quite a bit and it's a bit distracting.

2) You have a big, loose thread on the bill of your hat

3) Definitely look into Adobe Premier or other software to allow you to drop in scans instead of holding cards up to the camera. The quality would be improved dramatically by doing so.

4) You could use a little light from behind the camera as you are just a hair darker than you maybe should be.

Some other positives:

1) It doesn't look like you're using a microphone but your audio is very, very good. Clear and loud. Nice!

2) Kudos on the beautiful EFF Monarchs jersey. EFF does such nice work. If you haven't been there, visiting their store in Seattle is a real treat. I have their NY Knights (from "The Natural") jersey and it's terrific.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
OK guys, so I spent a few hours trying to figure out adobe premiere pro to no avail....
Maybe try Premier Elements. The "Elements" versions of Adobe's software are much easier to use and offer 90% of the functionality. You don't have professional, multi-camera, special effects needs, so no need to go Pro.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Maybe try Premier Elements. The "Elements" versions of Adobe's software are much easier to use and offer 90% of the functionality. You don't have professional, multi-camera, special effects needs, so no need to go Pro.

Thanks! I will download that one and see if it will suffice.... just not the most "techie" guy! Thanks again!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Al Jurgela

Default 1910 Punch video now live

Hey everybody...

Thanks so much for your feedback. I have not been able incorporate all of the great feedback as I was just trying to learn some basic editing. I think I have the basics under control now... but I still have a ways to go. Please take a look at this video that was mostly shot prior to the round of feedback here, but I think that the picture in picture helps to see some of the cards.

Again, I would appreciate the feedback and if you like the video, please like it and subscribe. I will try and do all of the major Cuban and Puerto Rican sets.

Thanks in advance.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Barry Arnold

Default al

much improved. I very much appreciated your presentation of the cards and your leaving them stationary on the screen for a bit. The cards of the non-Negro leaguers in this set were, for me, a welcome and stunning surprise.
I would note that from about 8 minutes or so into the video until the close, there was a mismatch between spoken words and the movement of the mouth. Perhaps
this was due to something I'm unaware of at this point.
keep them coming.
all the best,
Barry
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Al Jurgela

Hey Barry

Thanks for looking. I will have a look at that. Maybe I did something wrong on the editing. I hope that you found the information helpful. Still learned no the nuances of the software.

Best,

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 AM
Luke Lyon

Al,

I've only watched the intro so far, but it looks great to me, and looking forward to watching the rest!

Luke
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Al Jurgela

Here is the link to the Punch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfYeqNzrAk

Sorry that I forgot to post this originally.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Jeremy W.

Al- Great videos. I wish more people would share their expertise & collections on video like you have. I had the same problem as Barry with the lip-sync, but still enjoyed it & learned more about the cards you collect than I have from watching this site for many years. I think that you & Ryan Christoff (sorry for any misspelling) should collaborate. Thank you again, Jeremy
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Al Jurgela

Jeremy....

The lip-sync issue is on the Punch one, the Cabanas or the NL Intro?

I do a lot with Ryan in terms of trading and not... In fact a decent part of my collection has once passed through his hands!

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards

Last edited by aljurgela; 01-23-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Jeremy W.

Al- The Punch one.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Jeremy....

The lip-sync issue is on the Punch one, the Cabanas or the NL Intro?

I do a lot with Ryan in terms of trading and not... In fact a decent part of my collection has once passed through his hands!

Al
I noticed this too. Looks like your audio and video tracks got out of sync somehow when you were editing.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Al Jurgela

Thanks guys, I will see what I can do on this front. Unfortunate to say the least.

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 AM
Tom Boblitt

Fantastic video's Al. Love seeing rare cards in that format..........congrats on a great collection!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Derek Granger

Al -

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of those two sets. I hope you'll be doing more videos for the sets from the '20's (e.g., 1923-24 Billiken, 1923-24 Tomas Gutierrez, 1923-24 Nacionales, 1924-25 Aguilitas, etc.). Will you also cover some other obscure sets where you might not have many examples (1927-28 Mallorquina, for example)?

I watched the 1910 Punch video before I saw the 1909 Cabanas video. As mentioned, there were some lip sync issues about midway through the video.

By the way, I loved seeing that 1916 25th Infantry Team Panorama in the background! Beautiful!

I think the 10-15 minute length is perfect for both videos. Your delivery is very genuine and it doesn't sound rehearsed, which is refreshing and helps keep my interest. I think it was easy enough to see the cards in the 1909 Cabanas video, so no need to add a little image like you did on the 1910 Punch video (if you planned on doing that).

I look forward to seeing more! Please make sure to share a link here on Net54 so I know when the next "series" is coming out!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 01-24-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Brent

Great stuff Al. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher354435 View Post
Thanks Derek and Brent.... Brent you should do Boxing ones.... even though my boxing collection is good, I am not near the expert and do not have the expertise that you do... and certainly will not try! But either you or Adam should do it!

But I will do soccer down the road... so let's see...

Derek, thank for noticing the photo in the background... fun stuff and a good eye...
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher354435 View Post
+2
Old 03-07-2018, 06:00 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Billiken video now up

Hey guys,

I completed a video on Billikens yesterday... please let me know if it is helpful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKHwcfdl0U

Enjoy!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Since you are a collector/dealer of soccer cards, you should discuss some of them. Also, make sure to do a video on Pele's early issues as well, such as his Quigol, Titulares, Alifabolaget, etc. A PSA 5 Quigol recently went for $15,000 USD, which is mind-boggling.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Hey guys,

I completed a video on Billikens yesterday... please let me know if it is helpful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKHwcfdl0U

Enjoy!
Great video Al. I have enjoyed a few of you videos.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Great video Al. I have enjoyed a few of you videos.
Glad that you enjoyed it Ben! That is why I do them! Best, Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Will do the soccer ones at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Since you are a collector/dealer of soccer cards, you should discuss some of them. Also, make sure to do a video on Pele's early issues as well, such as his Quigol, Titulares, Alifabolaget, etc. A PSA 5 Quigol recently went for $15,000 USD, which is mind-boggling.

But am trying to finish a book on negro league cards first... I will target soccer next, but that is likely a few years away at my current (slow) pace...

We may have one of those moments on the Quigol card where $15k someday looks super cheap! Can you believe where the Mantles / Ruths are these days? Is there any question that Pele is the Babe Ruth of soccer which, despite its #1 place in sport around the world continue to strengthen and get bigger? That card may have even more legs... Time will tell, but I think that soccer has HUGE potential....

And by the way, I am not a dealer... everything that I have on eBay are dupes from my collection. I am just a collectors who has too much stuff (like many on this board)!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards