NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM
cha.d car.lson

Default Facebook page?

Has anyone evere tried to start a Facebook page foe bb cards that was successful? Seems like the interface would be much eaaier and more dynamic than Net54.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

A Facebook page would have an easier and more dynamic interface than this forum? How so?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Mark Medlin

There are 100's if not 1,000's of Facebook card groups. Enter at your own risk. Some are awesome. Most have guys waiting to screw you out of your money or cards.

Mark
Old 09-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
A Facebook page would have an easier and more dynamic interface than this forum? How so?
Yeah, Vbulletin forum software is so 1900s ....This board doesn't, and most likely won't, have a FaceBook page.

edited to add, the OP and I just had a brief chat and although FB is a great resource, it is not something that has the security or functionality this s/w does, for what we do....

Last edited by Leon; 09-22-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: softened the approach...
Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeah, Vbulletin forum software is so 1900s ....This board doesn't, and most likely won't, have a FaceBook page.

edited to add, the OP and I just had a brief chat and although FB is a great resource, it is not something that has the security or functionality this s/w does, for what we do....
Sounds about right. I don't really understand the point the OP was trying to make. I am curious to see why he thinks a Facebook page would be an improvement.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 PM
cha.d car.lson

Well I'm inherently technically challenged so I find this forum pretty hard to interface. Maybe it's because there's so many different subcategories. I think Facebook is probly more convenient if there is just a general discussion. But I can see how this is different because people are buying and selling you need some level of security. Another thing I find hard to get used to on here is that when you reply to somebody it encapsulates their whole quote in a bubble with your reply at the end of it and the whole thing goes to t the end the thread. I'm used to Facebook where everything is linear and the reply is joined with the actual thing you're replying to right at the same location.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:12 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Trillo View Post
Has anyone evere tried to start a Facebook page foe bb cards that was successful? Seems like the interface would be much eaaier and more dynamic than Net54.

This has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this site. Seriously.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM
cha.d car.lson

Well then, I just must be stupid.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
This has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this site. Seriously.
It was just an observation by the poster. This is why I never spoke up in school.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
And this may be one of the most classless. Seriously.
Nice way to welcome a new member.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Don't let it bug you Manny, I still say you could pick it in the field better than any other second baseman of your era.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM
cha.d car.lson

It's all good. I appreciate it that the administrator actually reached out to me and was genuinely curious about my question. I'm glad this site exists , it's a great resource.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Manny everything is linear here in each thread. There are several sections for discussions on various subjects, as well as sections for items for sale or trade. If everything were organized into one time line it would be next to impossible to find what you're looking for.

Also, you don't have to quote another members response to reply in a thread. This is done by some so it's clear what their post is in reference to.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I reread that...I was too harsh, my apologies.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

This place is a nice respite from endless baby pictures, political commentary, and stupid viral videos that dominate Facebook. The content sometimes delves into the gutter here, but at least it's still generally focused on baseball cards.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
This place is a nice respite from endless baby pictures, political commentary, and stupid viral videos that dominate Facebook. The content sometimes delves into the gutter here, but at least it's still generally focused on baseball cards.
Why people want to make a public spectacle of their private lives escapes me.

Put down the iPhone, stop blogging and uploading and playing video games and lol'ing, and actually interact with people.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why people want to make a public spectacle of their private lives escapes me.

Put down the iPhone, stop blogging and uploading and playing video games and lol'ing, and actually interact with people.

Says a guy who probably uses that same technology to scroll through hundreds (scratch that...thousands) of eBay and Auction House listings each week to find a baseball card gem! I for one, am on a bus on the way home with my head buried in my cell phone reading Net54! My guess is there are many baseball card collectors who have had fewer than 10 face-to-face interactions w/ a fellow collector. I have had about four such interactions in my 15+ years of "serious/non childhood" collecting. The OPs question is not that far-fetched.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Trillo View Post

Give it a shot...after all, you already spell like you belong on facebook. LOL

Don't get too offended...it's called humor and was intended that way.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 PM
cha.d car.lson

I know, right? My sister told me Id get used to a smartphone after I got it for the first time 6 months ago and I still can't type on it.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Not that I belong to any, but there are many FB card collecting groups.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...cting%20groups
Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Vbulletin is pre war !! Lol it fits our addiction
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Chris Counts

I agree that the poster's question is very reasonable. It also seems reasonable to me for Net54 to have a Facebook page simply as a compliment to the real deal, just like countless other agencies, businesses and organizations. It would certainly increase Net54's exposure, if that's what is desired.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:09 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

In full disclosure, I don't have a personal Facebook page and try to stay as far away from that site as possible. If Leon set up a Facebook page, I'd never go to it.

If your talking about setting up Facebook to communicate and hold forum discussions, no way. If you talking about just showing pictures, I'm out on that.

Facebook is only about one thing; trying to shove a fricking add in your face.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Says a guy who probably uses that same technology to scroll through hundreds (scratch that...thousands) of eBay and Auction House listings each week to find a baseball card gem! I for one, am on a bus on the way home with my head buried in my cell phone reading Net54! My guess is there are many baseball card collectors who have had fewer than 10 face-to-face interactions w/ a fellow collector. I have had about four such interactions in my 15+ years of "serious/non childhood" collecting. The OPs question is not that far-fetched.
I see people walking down the street, or sitting at tables with their friends, who literally cannot take their eyes off their devices for more than a couple of seconds at a time. This cannot be a good thing for them or society. Even in professional meetings younger people especially have one eye (or even two) on their devices much of the time. And what compels people to put their daily lives online for all the world to see, I truly don't get that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
I see people walking down the street, or sitting at tables with their friends, who literally cannot take their eyes off their devices for more than a couple of seconds at a time. This cannot be a good thing for them or society. Even in professional meetings younger people especially have one eye (or even two) on their devices much of the time. And what compels people to put their daily lives online for all the world to see, I truly don't get that.

+1

different generation

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Archive

Quote:
I notice this as well, although I'm not in meetings, but I see it when I'm out fishing. Maybe 1-4 people will show up and fish, all the while on their phones. After about 15 minutes they pack it in and leave because they haven't caught a fish or "the fish weren't biting". Personally I love it because it gives me the opportunity to fish along the entire shoreline and presents me with better chances to catch more fish.

Its not a video game or instant gratification, so if the fish don't respond right away, they leave. Patience is becoming a lost virtue.

I do have a Facebook page only because my Army buddy was in Iraq and it was a way for us to communicate instantly. Now that the war is over I've found that I have no need for Facebook.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

If there isn't one already, there will be an app that locates the fish for them and turns catching them into a virtual reality video game.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
As someone who has noticed this at even work meetings as well as social gatherings, I encourage people to use what I call the "the phone bet".

All members of the table place their phones face down on a pile in the center of the table. First person at the table to check their phone pays the bill.

I get many free lunches this way, lol.

Exceptions can be made per a table vote - ie: checking sports scores for the table.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 09-23-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:34 AM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Besides, I'm blocked from the Facebook site at work, and Net54 is allowed, ha!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

To get a streamline like what you may be describing on Facebook I would suggest using the "New Posts" link. This lets you see all the new posts, no matter the category, since you last visited the page and puts them in order of newest to oldest.

This is the main way I use the site. This way allows me to see all the stuff that is recent without looking through every category that interests me.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

What is this Farcebook of which you speak?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Not sure, but I believe it is an online social network which can trace its origins directly through the house of Winklevi.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Ah memories

Quote:

...back when I was a janitor at Harvard the kids putting it together referred to it as " The Facebook".....I suggested to them that they call it just " Facebook".....Cleaner.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:42 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
If there isn't one already, there will be an app that locates the fish for them and turns catching them into a virtual reality video game.
It's a brave new world.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

we're a dying breed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
It's a brave new world.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
It's a brave new world.
@kawika @leon
I agree

Old 09-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
I hear it's on computers now....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:20 AM
cha.d car.lson

From "The Google Story": "They kept the homepage simple, from the start Google's clean look attractef computers users hunting for information in a cluttered world. Its primary colors and white background convey purity with universal appeal. It stood in marked contrast to the growing number of busy looking internet pages... it flies completely in the face of the common belief that people love to find their way through the noise."