NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Am I misunderstanding?

I wasn't sure where to post this. So if this is the wrong section, please move to wherever it needs to be. Here's the deal...

I'm new to vintage and have been trying to study up on condition, etc. over the past month or 2. Since about mid-summer, I've been trying to buy up a few lots here and there to get me a vintage "trade box" going.

I understand Ex to be middle of the road, which is fine with me. I understand that Ex could mean rough corners or edges, off centered, etc. But I've been under the understand that a card can't be deemed "Ex" if it's got creases.

I always try to buy Ex to NM for my sets and trade boxes. But over the past few transactions (probably 5 or so individual card purchase on ebay), I've had 3 of the cards get here creased. One even had a couple of different creases.

Then in my last 2 trades I've received, cards have been creased. Again, I specifically ask the trader (or check the listing) and buy/trade for Ex. But can cards with creases be Ex? Am I just misinformed on what Ex is? Or are the buyers/traders just overstating the condition of their card?

Any help you can give me on understanding condition on vintage would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Mark Medlin

I would agree that ex can't be creased. In fact a significant crease wouldn't even make vg imo.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Ben North

GEM-MT 10 Gem Mint
A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card.

Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

MINT 9 Mint
A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

NM-MT 8 Near Mint-Mint
A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

NM 7 Near Mint
A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

EX-MT 6 Excellent-Mint
A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection. Corners may have slightly graduated fraying. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders. Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

EX 5 Excellent
On PSA EX-5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out-of-register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

VG-EX 4 Very Good-Excellent
A PSA VG-EX 4 card's corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

VG 3 Very Good
A PSA VG 3 card reveals some rounding of the corners, though not extreme. Some surface wear will be apparent, along with possible light scuffing or light scratches. Focus may be somewhat off-register and edges may exhibit noticeable wear. Much, but not all, of the card's original gloss will be lost. Borders may be somewhat yellowed and/or discolored. A crease may be visible. Printing defects are possible. Slight stain may show on obverse and wax staining on reverse may be more prominent. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

GOOD 2 Good
A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

FR 1.5 Fair
A PSA Fair 1.5 card's corners will show extreme wear, possibly affecting framing of the picture. The surface of the card will show advanced stages of wear, including scuffing, scratching, pitting, chipping and staining. The picture will possibly be quite out-of-register and the borders may have become brown and dirty. The card may have one or more heavy creases. In order to achieve a Fair grade, a card must be fully intact. Even though the card may be heavily worn, it cannot achieve this grade if it is missing solid pieces of the card as a result of a major tear, etc. This would include damage such as the removal of the back layer of the card or an entire corner. The centering must be approximately 90/10 or better on the front and back.

PR 1 Poor
A PSA Poor 1 will exhibit many of the same qualities of a PSA Fair 1.5 but the defects may have advanced to such a serious stage that the eye appeal of the card has nearly vanished in its entirety. A Poor card may be missing one or two small pieces, exhibit major creasing that nearly breaks through all the layers of cardboard or it may contain extreme discoloration or dirtiness throughout that may make it difficult to identify the issue or content of the card on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of destructive defect.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You are correct. Excellent means no creases and normally light corner wear. Your trade partners may need to be reminded before they send you subpar cards.
It could have a surface wrinkle, which is a crease on the front or back that doesn't go all the way through the card, but some people think those max out at VG-EX.
Centering can be independent of condition. Most people will say their cards are NM with OC or MC for miscut.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Justin

I'd recommend to just ask the seller/trader if there are any creases, surface wrinkles, etc that can't be seen in the photos before making a transaction.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 10-11-2017, 03:23 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Been looking at cards Raw, TPG, and TPG submission returns for lots of years and have come to following conclusions :

1.) ANY issues with card (stain, crease, wrinkle, really bad centers, miscut, corners that aren't sharp) puts the cap at VG-EX - Period

2.) It is not possible for a normal human to correctly assess 10 out 10 raw cards as NRMT - So I dont acknowledge the 7 (NRMT) designation on anything raw that I buy or sell

3.) EX & EXMT - this is where all of the good looking raw cards reside.

EX cards should have nice corners (maybe very slight dings on corners) and good centers and most normal persons would think they should grade higher.

EXMT cards are truly high end examples of EX and most normal persons would try and call them as NRMT

So once you resign yourself to the fact that you cant accurately grade a card as NRMT (or above) - and cards with issues aren't ever any better than VG-EX then the opinion grading process becomes much easier and for the most part you wont ever be disappointed on TPG submissions and occasionally you will get a few back that grade better than your initial assessment.

So there you have it - a 3 step process - really easy
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Most sellers, especially on ebay, overgrade their cards. We all know it, but at least there are pictures present, so you can see the corners and what not and judge each card for yourself. When not-visible-in-the-scan factors (such as creases) are present, there is no way in heck they should be calling a card EX. That is just plainly ridiculous and most likely a blatant attempt to screw you over.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I'd recommend to just ask the seller/trader if there are any creases, surface wrinkles, etc that can't be seen in the photos before making a transaction.
This. If the card arrived creased after you've been told it wasn't you can simply return as the card did not arrive as described.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I will be doing it from now on. What I've been doing is just asking if the card is Ex to NM because that's what I look for. I never though creased would be considered Ex, but I guess some people do.

From now on, though, I'll be asking if there's any creases, bends, etc in the card.

With the few I've gotten thus far (about 6-8), I've just put them in my set and marked that number as needing an upgrade. I'll just leave the creased ones in there for now then pick up a better copy later and toss the creased one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This. If the card arrived creased after you've been told it wasn't you can simply return as the card did not arrive as described.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.