NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PM sent seems like emailing someone to tell them you left them a voice mail.
Yes and it too is pretty unnecessary. Posting a PM sent post will likely be seen after an email of that actual PM is received in this day where 99% of us are wired into our email 24/7.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Yes and it too is pretty unnecessary. Posting a PM sent post will likely be seen after an email of that actual PM is received in this day where 99% of us are wired into our email 24/7.
There is an aspect to it of a dog marking its spot.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
There is an aspect to it of a dog marking its spot.
Yes that too but it is just excessive and typical of people but I will stop whining since it is taking this thread off topic.

The inane comments do not bother me as much as deleting the asking price. What if all of the auction houses, including ebay, only made the final price realized available to just the winner? Why are Net 54 transactions being given special treatment? It is really so silly.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Tony and Jason are in the minority on this. I wish i could get asking price on every card i sold. Would be great to point out to a future buyer the 'asking price' i supposively paid and so i need to ask for more because thats how much i have into it.

Its a big secret to know a price that is likely more than what i actually paid for a card? You guys are really going to complain and start a thread on this.. hmmm so im the annoying one that is interfering. I didnt start this thread and there are actual complainers about posting a price in a public forum and upset that their fantasy price is forever listed. Can always just not list a price if its so secret.

Heck many listings say 'if cant sell i will send to an auction house' I guess the auction house will delete the sale price when they sell it.
Damn im always in the minority. Still a dick move

Wish in one hand and actually BUY cards and contribute to the hobby in a positive manner in the other and see which fills up first!

Last edited by Jason; 09-25-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Damn im always in the minority. Still a dick move

Wish in one hand and actually BUY cards and contribute to the hobby in a positive manner in the other and see which fills up first!
Yes deleting asking prices is great for the hobby. Maybe you can convince auction houses and ebay (who are more egregious because they actually have sold prices not asking prices) to delete the sold prices....that will contribute to the hobby in a positive manner...

Im fine with not keeping asking prices on net54....but its not exactly a sin to keep them up..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-25-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Yes that too but it is just excessive and typical of people but I will stop whining since it is taking this thread off topic.

The inane comments do not bother me as much as deleting the asking price. What if all of the auction houses, including ebay, only made the final price realized available to just the winner? Why are Net 54 transactions being given special treatment? It is really so silly.
Especially since sellers can just say 'taking offers' they dont have to put an asking price....plus most asking prices are fantasy prices anyway so whats the big deal. Nobody is going to give you $4000 for that 1933 psa 1 goudey ruth for a long time if ever.

We can always rely on the seller to say what he paid for the card previously, wink wink....

I always thought that that certain things in life are temporary but the internet is forever.....guess not..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-25-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Sorry, but I can't help thinking of this commercial:

https://youtu.be/sYxqygh-l7Q

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Can't it be both? Can't we think it is silly to erase/hide the sale price, but still find it obnoxious that Jake takes it upon himself to be the historian and record keeper of the N54 BST?

Last edited by orly57; 09-25-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
PM sent seems like emailing someone to tell them you left them a voice mail.
It's totally marking territory. Today I found a card I wanted bad. I couldn't type "I'll take it" quickly enough. I then wrote him a pm. I considered smoke signals and a carrier pigeon. I think it's just a nervous reaction fearing you may lose it to someone who pm'd first while you were posting, or posts first while you are pm'ing.

Last edited by orly57; 09-25-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Can't it be both? Can't we think it is silly to erase/hide the sale price, but still find it obnoxious that Jake takes it upon himself to be the historian and record keeper of the N54 BST?
From my Completely Neutral Position,
iN which is prabaly the first time in my Young Life
That while Standing on the "The Fence" and viewing both Sides,
I See THeM wit Equal Understanding...
And as we All Know, I'm Irish Fir Heaven's Sake!

I do Think that each individual's motive Shine's Through!
(NothiN's Changed, 99% of Us Have GoT ta Collect sum sort of Cardboard)
Sure, I'd Like to Know the "Sales History"
Of Every Card That I'm Interested iN.
Who Among Us WouldN'T!?!?

---------------------------- "Me, oN the Fence!" -----------------------
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Howevar,
Certainly Not at the Expense of TreatiN Any One of You Wit Any Sort of Undue Personal Disrespect!

I Admit,
I FiND Life as a Grand Episode of Nevar EndiN Events of Tom Foolery.

Sumtimes,
It's Like a 5 year old LooKiN Thru a Kaleidoscope
Wit That Really Brilliant FeeliN GoiN Thru'em...
And at That Precise Moment,
Sum Wonderful Human BeiN Slaps'em iN the Head Wit a Snow Shovel!

So Wit THaT Sed...

I Nominate Our Good Friend Jake Fir Full oN
"NET54 Sales History Record Keeper"!!!
Any one of You Fine Member's Wanta Second my Motion?

"IsN'T Life Grand"
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

We are talking about 1% of the b/s/t prices. I would be fired as a historian for sure. Next time you go look to buy a card, make sure to check out 1% of VCP. Maybe VCP will sell you a discount membership and provide you with 1% of the past sales.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
From my Completely Neutral Position,
iN which is prabaly the first time in my Young Life
That while Standing on the "The Fence" and viewing both Sides,
I See THeM wit Equal Understanding...
And as we All Know, I'm Irish Fir Heaven's Sake!

I do Think that each individual's motive Shine's Through!
(NothiN's Changed, 99% of Us Have GoT ta Collect sum sort of Cardboard)
Sure, I'd Like to Know the "Sales History"
Of Every Card That I'm Interested iN.
Who Among Us WouldN'T!?!?

---------------------------- "Me, oN the Fence!" -----------------------

Howevar,
Certainly Not at the Expense of TreatiN Any One of You Wit Any Sort of Undue Personal Disrespect!

I Admit,
I FiND Life as a Grand Episode of Nevar EndiN Events of Tom Foolery.

Sumtimes,
It's Like a 5 year old LooKiN Thru a Kaleidoscope
Wit That Really Brilliant FeeliN GoiN Thru'em...
And at That Precise Moment,
Sum Wonderful Human BeiN Slaps'em iN the Head Wit a Snow Shovel!

So Wit THaT Sed...

I Nominate Our Good Friend Jake Fir Full oN
"NET54 Sales History Record Keeper"!!!
Any one of You Fine Member's Wanta Second my Motion?

"IsN'T Life Grand"

Jake, Jake
He's our man
If he can't do it
Nobody can.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

I think its funny there is 4000+ views on this thread on an issue thats on 1% of the b/s/t that no one seems to really care about. This hobby is exciting!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think its funny there is 4000+ views on this thread on an issue thats on 1% of the b/s/t that no one seems to really care about. This hobby is exciting!
If you really want to see a thread take off, complain about a shipping charge.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
It's totally marking territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW-YORK-GIANTS.jpg (38.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Bill Lucier

So for those of us in your arbitrary 1% that would like prices removed after a completed transaction, we should now PM you to verify you won't quote the price? Shouldn't your info be added to the BST rules so everyone knows who to contact if they'd like privacy after a sale?

"So in the future if a member (buyer or seller) posts for me to remove a quoted asking price, that is fine as i will now know the member wanted it removed . Also the people that i know that never want it quoted ill heed that as well which appears to be 2 or 3 people thus far. Anyone else can pm me etc if they want to keep their posted asking price a secret. Again i think this impacts about 1% of the b/s/t listings." Post #70
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYearCards View Post
So for those of us in your arbitrary 1% that would like prices removed after a completed transaction, we should now PM you to verify you won't quote the price? Shouldn't your info be added to the BST rules so everyone knows who to contact if they'd like privacy after a sale?
Can do what you want but it appears nobody really cares except you. I dont even recall you listing any cards? You can also navigate the rest of the threads to see what else should be added as well to the rules. I did put out that i would gladly remove anything if requested so anyone can pm me and ill remove any. Thus far zero pms. (Not even a pm sent ) I think eventually i will get a couple of people out of the hundreds that post etc.

Also how is it arbitrary 1%, its less than 1%. So i guess you mean arbitrary meaning 0-1%

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-26-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

This thread dead-horsed a while ago.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
If you really want to see a thread take off, complain about a shipping charge.
funny....well we love free shipping..i was looking at 1952s with 4sharpcorners...sometimes i pay 50 dollars more for something than somewhere else because i save 25 in shipping ...hmm that totally makes good business sense

This thread has jumped the shark ..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

A couple days ago, I saw a card I wanted posted for sale at noon. I clicked on the link at 1:20pm only to see price was removed and marked sold at 1:00pm.

The main reason I visit here is for an education. I don't subscribe to VCP, so it would have been nice to learn approximately what the card sold for. I don't like it when sellers remove prices, but that is their right. It makes it much easier for flippers to deal with potential future buyer if history is erased I guess.

As far as Jake quoting prices in the thread, It's the internet people get over it. You want privacy, keep negotiations private.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
This thread dead-horsed a while ago.
Quote:
funny....well we love free shipping..i was looking at 1952s with 4sharpcorners...sometimes i pay 50 dollars more for something than somewhere else because i save 25 in shipping ...hmm that totally makes good business sense

This thread has jumped the shark ..
Can someone please make a picture of a dead horse jumping a shark. That would be great.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Archive

Quote:
Actually this is exactly why I use the "PM sent" option and will continue to do so. If a member is not logged onto Net54 they will receive instant email notification that a member is interested in something that they have for sale.

If they do not have email notification then when they do decide to log onto Net54 it will automatically respond with a pop-up window informing them that they have a PM waiting to be read.

We have some members here who do not log onto Net54 everyday and their B/S/T threads go unnoticed until they log on days or weeks later.

So a "PM sent" message is my way of covering the bases. If a member has something for sale/trade, they could possibly get an email notification or a pop-up window when they log on. If those two functions fail, then they will see my "PM sent" message and know that I'm interested in something they have for sale/trade.

Jantz
Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
A couple days ago, I saw a card I wanted posted for sale at noon. I clicked on the link at 1:20pm only to see price was removed and marked sold at 1:00pm.

The main reason I visit here is for an education. I don't subscribe to VCP, so it would have been nice to learn approximately what the card sold for. I don't like it when sellers remove prices, but that is their right. It makes it much easier for flippers to deal with potential future buyer if history is erased I guess.

As far as Jake quoting prices in the thread, It's the internet people get over it. You want privacy, keep negotiations private.
Guess that was one of the 99% of the links that there was no price quoted by me. I think your opinion on the matter is also the large super majority of the members..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-26-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Posting a PM sent post will likely be seen after an email of that actual PM is received in this day where 99% of us are wired into our email 24/7.
At last, I finally made it. I'm officially part of the 1%.
Now where are my tax breaks?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

Me too Todd. I can sometimes be found texting on my phone but I do not use it for much else other than a...phone. What a concept, eh? I get my emails when I am at my computer and only when I check for emails.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Default It's been nine pages...

..it's been nine pages without a picture of a pre-war baseball card...you know the rules...

..White Sox Gerald "Gee" Walker Burke Postcard and a four-by-six standard Burke photo of a baby-faced Joe Kuhel who I think is about fourteen in this shot..

Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
My original point was this. We were talking about BST interference and I said "Nice card" is no more interference than "PM sent." ... Why is "Nice card" interference but "PM sent" (when the purpose of the PM isn't to purchase the card) is not interference?
Partial quote here because I'm taking out the ignorant statements regarding how stupid other people are. IMHO while some folks may deem "nice card" as not interfering in the auction posted, I feel is does interfere with other listings by bumping them from the top, or the front page.

FWIW I do get frustrated when prices are removed once sold. I too come here for education, and to launch the joke. I use the eBay "Sold Items" option quite often. I missed an opportunity to purchase a card on BST a few weeks ago. I made the comment about wondering the price, and the seller (I won't out him) sent me a PM with the sell prices. I didn't share it, but I learned something... and also kicked myself for missing the opportunity to purchase a card at a price I would have been happy with.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Partial quote here because I'm taking out the ignorant statements regarding how stupid other people are. IMHO while some folks may deem "nice card" as not interfering in the auction posted, I feel is does interfere with other listings by bumping them from the top, or the front page.

FWIW I do get frustrated when prices are removed once sold. I too come here for education, and to launch the joke. I use the eBay "Sold Items" option quite often. I missed an opportunity to purchase a card on BST a few weeks ago. I made the comment about wondering the price, and the seller (I won't out him) sent me a PM with the sell prices. I didn't share it, but I learned something... and also kicked myself for missing the opportunity to purchase a card at a price I would have been happy with.
I bet the seller didnt say the asking price...that would of been the big secret.....
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Can someone please make a picture of a dead horse jumping a shark. That would be great.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
That's fantastic! I've saved it to my desktop for future use. (Unless you don't want it used, then I'll just save it in my humor folder. )
Old 09-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

I have it on possibly good authority - the kids at the makerspace- that email is soooo dreadfully old fashioned. (My words, theirs were harder to understand)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Scott Russell

Well it's a combo of Dilbert and I think Family Guy so I'm not exactly the creator, but I couldn't find any images of Dead Horse Jumping Shark, so I had to make one. Maybe it'll catch on
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
I wish i could get asking price on every card i sold. Would be great to point out to a future buyer the 'asking price' i supposively paid and so i need to ask for more because thats how much i have into it.
Supposedly the word "supposably" is in the dictionary. But I have never, and I mean NEVER, seen the word "supposively" written before. Thanks for enlightening me.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Al Richter

Derek--these may help

http://www.yourdictionary.com/supposively
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=supposively
Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I just learned irregardless is a word due to this thread . A non-standard one, but one nevertheless.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Justin

A couple years ago I lost out on a card because the seller said he never received my pm. Apparently there were technical issues that day. Sometimes I post "pm sent" just in case.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 09-27-2017, 01:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
That's fantastic! I've saved it to my desktop for future use. (Unless you don't want it used, then I'll just save it in my humor folder. )
I still like the Fonz on water skis maybe he can dress as a horse
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I just learned irregardless is a word due to this thread . A non-standard one, but one nevertheless.
I recently learned that "literally" supposively can now mean "figuratively" irregardless of the fact that that is the exact opposite of what it means...

Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I Don't THiNK He's Gunna Make iT!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
I Don't THiNK He's Gunna Make iT!
Denny, he's already dead.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com