NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2024, 10:19 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default What changes (if any) would you like SGC to make moving forward?

We are about 6 weeks in since the SGC buyout news (https://www.gosgc.com/SGC-Joins-Collectors). What changes (if any) would you like SGC to make moving forward?

I have seen the following ideas pop up here and there:

1. Adding a registry.
2. Enhancements to the SGC slab (redesign, QR code, etc)
3. When reslabbing, keeping the existing cert and not generating a new cert (this is my vote).
4. Enhancements to the SGC website/app.
5. Authenticating autographs/memorabilia.
6. More grading specials.
7. More onsite grading at shows.

And some out of the box thoughts

8. Integration into PSA's pop report and registry.
9. Use to AI to grade cards.
10. Grading changes (individual grading for corners, centering, etc.).

What say you?
Old 04-09-2024, 10:36 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

What does AI give them that they don’t already have?

I realize it’s a fancy buzzword right now, but it’s not clear to me what they might be able to accomplish if they were somehow magically able to make it work. Would they be better at detecting fakes? Alterations? Grades that might more closely follow their published guidelines, because the math is being calculated by a machine? Maybe it speeds up the process? SGC already seems pretty zippy, but I guess they can always move faster.

Aside from sounding cool and somehow representing the future, I just don’t understand what benefits we might see as submitters.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 04-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
What does AI give them that they don’t already have?

I realize it’s a fancy buzzword right now, but it’s not clear to me what they might be able to accomplish if they were somehow magically able to make it work. Would they be better at detecting fakes? Alterations? Grades that might more closely follow their published guidelines, because the math is being calculated by a machine? Maybe it speeds up the process? SGC already seems pretty zippy, but I guess they can always move faster.

Aside from sounding cool and somehow representing the future, I just don’t understand what benefits we might see as submitters.
Great questions, I have the same. My initial thought is using AI to identify what card is being submitted, ie, what type of card. I think a ton of research is being done to identify what type of card it is and it could help with that process.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:45 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

1. Allow SGC cards to be added to the PSA registry.
2. Allow SGC cards to be reholdered into PSA slabs at the same grade. Before folks scream that SGC cards may not cross over at the same grade as PSA, perhaps mark the new PSA flip in a way that shows that the card was a SGC reholder, e.g., add a leading "S" to the new cert number. Also, don't allow 9.5/10's to be reholdered at the same grade, but they must go through a crossover process.

Last edited by glchen; 04-09-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
2. Allow SGC cards to be reholdered into PSA slabs at the same grade. Before folks scream that SGC cards may not cross over at the same grade as PSA, perhaps mark the new PSA flip in a way that shows that the card was a SGC reholder, e.g., add a leading "S" to the new cert number.

Funny, I was just talking about that idea to a friend yesterday. I think it would work (if CU wants to do it).
Old 04-09-2024, 10:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

Fixing the databases and including both the old numbers and the new numbers would be a start.
That would be a good lead to fixing the pop reports which were ok but are now a complete mess.

Getting into new areas of business isn't a good idea.
Using AI, even to identify stuff.... to me also a poor idea. If you're an "expert" that crutch isn't needed.

Integration with PSA can't really happen with the database so messed up.

Wishlist stuff that makes no business sense - Use auction sites that have good pictures to add info about backs/factories etc to the database if it's not already there.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:56 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
We are about 6 weeks in since the SGC buyout news (https://www.gosgc.com/SGC-Joins-Collectors). What changes (if any) would you like SGC to make moving forward?

I have seen the following ideas pop up here and there:

1. Adding a registry.
2. Enhancements to the SGC slab (redesign, QR code, etc)
3. When reslabbing, keeping the existing cert and not generating a new cert (this is my vote).
4. Enhancements to the SGC website/app.
5. Authenticating autographs/memorabilia.
6. More grading specials.
7. More onsite grading at shows.

And some out of the box thoughts

8. Integration into PSA's pop report and registry.
9. Use to AI to grade cards.
10. Grading changes (individual grading for corners, centering, etc.).

What say you?
I've never sent any of my cards in anywhere to get graded but had hoped to attend this month's Toronto Card Expo to have some cards graded but was disappointed to read SGC is not even going to be there this go around and PSA is drop off only.

Last edited by irv; 04-09-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The best change was already made; ownership.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:15 AM

I don't really see a future for Ai in the hobby. Anyone who is working as a grader should be well-versed in cards as a prerequisite, and I have no doubt any member of the forum can easily identify 99 out of 100 cards without thinking about it.

I don't like the idea of relying on Ai for grading either. A machine is a machine. It will never acquire life experience and it'll be much easier to trick a machine than a live human eye of a live human well-versed in the common tactics that will exist to trick a machine.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:37 AM
Jimmy Motz

For me just more grading specials.
Slab us fine for me not sure what good a bar code/QR code is, have never used it with any of my PSA slabs, so not sure all hoopla over that.

Registry would be ok, but again something I dabbled in with PSA and found no real value for me. Now with the App and all my cards accessible there, that's awesome for me
Old 04-09-2024, 11:37 AM
Rick Clemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree with Leon.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Todd Schultz

I would like some sort of means of determining the date the card was graded, by whom, and whether it was either crossed-over re-holdered. This might be done through use of a barcode reader or maybe something in the serial numbering--front or back label. No need for a grader's name necessarily--just "grader #12" or similar, but something where there is a way to discern whether a card was graded by someone who is generally tougher--also to know who may have failed to catch a fake or altered card. The date thing should really not be that controversial, IMO. Maybe not so much with the other.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:12 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

The obnoxiously large number grade on the flip that takes away from the card inside.
Less bulky.

AF15
Old 04-09-2024, 01:29 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
SGC, at this point, is a separately run entity and nothing has changed at the top...or has it? Ultimately, yes Collectors owns them and has full control but it has been business as usual at this early stage.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:54 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPaper View Post
The obnoxiously large number grade on the flip that takes away from the card inside.
Less bulky.
This might be my favorite part about SGC slabs. I can see the grade from bad pics or from far away. Super helpful when browsing cards on my phone. I know if it's a 1 or a 9 that I probably have no interest in it and it saves me time from having to try to zoom in.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

I like the Tux look, but the slabs are overdue to be made thinner / lighter, and they could also incorporate a QR code on the back so that you can verify legitimacy quicker.

I’ve never liked the format of the insert system (even if I like the color) as much as I do PSA’s slab rail system - whole thing feels kind of like a picture frame from Walmart when you crack it open - but those inserts have allowed SGC to more accurately slab a wider variety of card sizes than you typically see with PSA and oddball stuff just floating around in huge slab interiors or with ugly baggies somehow incorporated. I wouldn’t want SGC to move away from the insert system if that were going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2024, 08:46 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I like the Tux look, but the slabs are overdue to be made thinner / lighter, and they could also incorporate a QR code on the back so that you can verify legitimacy quicker.

I’ve never liked the format of the insert system (even if I like the color) as much as I do PSA’s slab rail system - whole thing feels kind of like a picture frame from Walmart when you crack it open - but those inserts have allowed SGC to more accurately slab a wider variety of card sizes than you typically see with PSA and oddball stuff just floating around in huge slab interiors or with ugly baggies somehow incorporated. I wouldn’t want SGC to move away from the insert system if that were going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yes...use PSA's slabs please!!!!
Old 04-10-2024, 09:27 AM
Al Stein

I think they should re-grade that Baltimore Ruth.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2024, 10:53 AM
qualitycards

I hope SGC goes back to the cert #'s in succession, not the random #'s assigned
Old 04-11-2024, 08:32 PM
Ken McMillan

Smaller sized slabs
Old 04-11-2024, 08:56 PM
Jim Reynolds

The ownership was fine.
The slabs are fine.
The grade size is fine.
The random cert numbers are fine.

I just want the registry back.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:07 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I think they should re-grade that Baltimore Ruth.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Ya, that one is wild
Old 04-12-2024, 02:15 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

They have to get new slabs. Honestly, it is baffling to me that they didn't do this in the wake of covid with all the new ultra-modern stuff up for grabs. In vintage land, some of us are OK with the slabs, we're at least used to them and the tux look does have a bit of a pleasing aesthetic, but the slabs are still unnecessarily gigantic and cheap looking. But on the modern side of the hobby, the slabs are an absolute joke. NOBODY wants them for ultra-modern cards. NOBODY. They get laughed at by the modern crowd. They refer to them as "the dollar store slabs". They are effectively only used as a PSA pre-grading service in the modern market. But their grades are respected. If SGC had come out with a nice modern looking slab, similar to CGC's slab, they would have already gained MASSIVE market share.

The optimal solution is probably for them to offer two slabs going forward. One for modern cards that is the same size as PSA & CGC, and the current bulky slabs for anyone who still wants them for their vintage submissions.

A registry would be huge as well. Solve these two problems and SGC goes bananas!

Last edited by Snowman; 04-12-2024 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:38 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
They have to get new slabs. Honestly, it is baffling to me that they didn't do this in the wake of covid with all the new ultra-modern stuff up for grabs. In vintage land, some of us are OK with the slabs, we're at least used to them and the tux look does have a bit of a pleasing aesthetic, but the slabs are still unnecessarily gigantic and cheap looking. But on the modern side of the hobby, the slabs are an absolute joke. NOBODY wants them for ultra-modern cards. NOBODY. They get laughed at by the modern crowd. They refer to them as "the dollar store slabs". They are effectively only used as a PSA pre-grading service in the modern market. But their grades are respected. If SGC had come out with a nice modern looking slab, similar to CGC's slab, they would have already gained MASSIVE market
I can’t speak for the modern side of the hobby because I don’t collect anything after 1980 but I feel just the opposite about the slabs. I love the SGC slab and hate the PSA slab with that ugly red label. Looks super cheap to me like low-grade plastic and when you add in the condoms that they use, it looks even worse,
Old 04-12-2024, 09:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

It may seem funny, but the slab size isn't a big deal. And it would allow some slightly larger cards to go in a "normal" sized slab.

I do like the insert for older cards, although it does need some work to make it better, like a different thickness.
I think PSA slabs look cheap, and CGCs look a bit comical, which is no surprise.

But I do like PSAs look for more modern cards, especially ones with colored borders or no borders. Those sort of get visually lost in the black gasket.

What would be interesting would be a PSA sized slab for all the normal stuff, SGC sized for slightly oversize. But both with a gasket that was available in custom colors. For example, an orange gasket if you wanted it for an Orioles team set, Or red for the Reds or Red Sox.
Or even lighter colors to show off cards like 71 Topps and 50 Drakes.

They now own the IP for the slabs, expand both PSAs offerings and SGC by offering options.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:53 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This might be my favorite part about SGC slabs. I can see the grade from bad pics or from far away. Super helpful when browsing cards on my phone. I know if it's a 1 or a 9 that I probably have no interest in it and it saves me time from having to try to zoom in.
When buying, ok, but what about when they are in your collection and displayed? Its a major eyesore.

AF15
Old 04-12-2024, 11:58 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
2. Allow SGC cards to be reholdered into PSA slabs at the same grade. Before folks scream that SGC cards may not cross over at the same grade as PSA, perhaps mark the new PSA flip in a way that shows that the card was a SGC reholder, e.g., add a leading "S" to the new cert number. Also, don't allow 9.5/10's to be reholdered at the same grade, but they must go through a crossover process.

Neither of these should ever happen.

Registry and fixing pop report should be the main focus.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:34 PM
Den.nis Mos.ley

With SGC not including qualifiers on there slabs when warranted is enough for me. I tend to get frustrated looking for marks and the like. Not to mention paper loss and off centered cards.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:20 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hof View Post
With SGC not including qualifiers on there slabs when warranted is enough for me. I tend to get frustrated looking for marks and the like. Not to mention paper loss and off centered cards.
Qualifiers are stupid. You can’t say this card would be an eight if it wasn’t off-center. If it’s off-center, then it’s not an eight. That’s like saying my wife would be hot if she wasn’t so ugly.