NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default How are you doing in the current auctions?

Posted By: leon

No need to say anything specific I just thought I would get a pulse of how our members are doing on this topic.

How are you doing in the current auctions?

Personally, I have about 130 bids in on different lots and I am high on very few. For no one bidding in the Legendary Auction I am doing poorly so far..... 0 for 40. I expect to make a run for something later tonight but we shall see.....This seems like the right time to upgrade a Drum or two.....Can they all actually get to market prices? My guess is "yes, they can, and will"..

Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I have about five bids going in REA.
And, I would like to win an item or two if I can.

REA is the only auction I am seriously looking at, or have seriously looked at in a while.

I basically have been ignoring all others.... and have been much less active on eBay as well.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

The problem with the auctions is that whoever is leading today has a very small chance of leading at the end of the auction unless they are prepared to throw in a few more bids -- especially so in REA in which the extended bidding period is 47 days long (ok, slight exaggeration). I propose gathering a group of bidders -- with pitchforks and torches -- and proceeding over to the REA mansion in Watchung and 'convincing' Rob to end it at a reasonable hour. Of course, while we're all doing that some jerk will be at home on his computer outbidding us on all of our precious cards.

Edited to add: Joe, I wasn't aware that there were 5 Taddys in REA; I'll re-check the catalogue.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I realize what I was asking is very preliminary because it really all happens in the last hours. That being said I just thought it would be good to get some perspectives... To me it looks like the hobby is quite healthy even though the economy is faring much worse....

Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

As of yesterday i was 4 for 4 in the REA,now i'm 3 out of 4 but as you know that means nothing at this point! IT'S way to early to know anything at this point.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

Still live on some NonSports sets

Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I'm already done with Legendary for today's lots...........

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MJ

I'm out 3 out of 3 on the REA, I'm up on 3 out 7 on HA, and Ebay I'm up....I think 27 out of 48....not too bad....sad about the REA one's though! Rawrrrr!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There's no practical reason to be high on any lots now in either auction. You'll win or lose them at the end.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator

I would disagree slightly with your analysis of there being no reason to be high on a lot now, far before an auction close. I think/know there are some lots that get all of their action before the close. If you are high bidder on a lot that would be a $2000 (retail) lot, and you are high at $1800...then there is a chance you will get it for that amount. If the lot is still far below retail (whatever that means) then I agree.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Wirt

Looking to grab one card in REA. Haven't yet decided my max, so am waiting a bit longer before I place it. The last two years, I've focused on one thing in REA and have won both. Kinda the way I like to roll.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Yes, if you reach your max early no reason not to get one last bid in and hold your breath. But if you are a little below your max, or below fair market value, and bid now, there is a very high probability you will be topped.

Of course you can't generalize because each lot is unique. In my auctions 95% of the lots received their final bids in the last 3-4 hours. The chance of a lot getting its last bid Wednesday and holding up until Thursday was remote, but it could happen.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

have a few bids in REA and Goodwin, with one high bid in each auction. some of the cards i put in early bid are pretty much out of reach for me at this point. hoping that the two or three cards that are still within by budget wont move up too much the next week or two.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

I just have to say that leon is a buying machine! 130 bids on different lots. Wow. He has replaced Mr. Mint has the new buying machine. Of course he still has to win some but your diversity amazes.

I just hope I do not get tangled up with you on a lot. I will be like the glass jawed fighter going down for the count.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Mike - with bids on 130 lots, it would surprise if you didn't bid on something leon did.
I think this is just leon's economic stimulus package, helping out consignors a bit.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

We'd like to reveal how we're doing, but unfortunately that would negatively affect the bidding strategies we have formulated.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I'm sure you'll have the penultimate bid on several lots.

Hope your computers don't break down!

happy.gif

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Death threat sent.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Even though bids are important it's generally the #1 and #2 bidders that are the most important to a realized price on a lot. Bids early on really mean very little except that I can play in extended bidding periods. If I have one bid that holds as of right now...in any of the auctions, I would be surprised. I am not the one to worry about. Barry on the other hand...watch out for that guy!! He gets ya' where you are almost in a sleep and WHAM!!.....He goes in for the kill, like a UFC/MMA Champion. Those are the bids that count.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I have two bids in on Legendary (deep breath). Although, not going very strong after either.

I have two bids in on REA, and will probably go after one or the other fairly strong.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I have done some analysis and found that roughly 80% of all lots have just 3 bids left before final sales price when the auction has just 36 hours remaining. I have bid on 18 lots in REA (in the lead on 3) and 8 of those lots I would gladly go three additional bid increments higher. So I plan on winning 6.4 lots.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Well, it looks like I won the only lot I was bidding on in Legendary's auction tonight! happy.gif

Steve