NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2024, 04:17 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Nice seeing everyone and meeting some new people.

Very impressive stuff.

Also whoever had that Honest long cut Cobb t205…message me. I forgot to check in before I left.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:10 PM
Jim Reynolds

Thanks to Ryan and Andrew and anyone else involved in putting this together again. For a second year in a row, it was well worth the drive up from Richmond! Such amazing stuff!
Old 02-10-2024, 06:20 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Nice Cards

Looks like some nice cards there...was that a General Baking Matty??...Jerry
Old 02-10-2024, 06:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I bet I could guess which case is Val's, although I didn't see the Hughie Jennings shirt in the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-10-2024, 06:39 PM
Fred

I wish they would do something like this (with cases full of the cards in the first post) in southern California. Total eye candy in those cases.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:01 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I wish they would do something like this (with cases full of the cards in the first post) in southern California. Total eye candy in those cases.
Just get a couple of collectors together and make it happen. Don’t wait for “they” to get it started!
Old 02-10-2024, 07:07 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I bet I could guess which case is Val's, although I didn't see the Hughie Jennings shirt in the photos.
Noticed that one as well.

Thanks
Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 02-10-2024, 07:31 PM
Dan Bl@u

Just got home after my drive back to Raleigh. What an amazing day. Thanks so much to Andrew and Ryan and everyone else who came to show & tell. The card were amazing and it was great meeting lots of N54 folks after years of only knowing you by your handles here. It was also my first time ever setting up a card display and I had a great time. Already looking forward to next year!

Old 02-10-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Just got home after my drive back to Raleigh. What an amazing day. Thanks so much to Andrew and Ryan and everyone else who came to show & tell. The card were amazing and it was great meeting lots of N54 folks after years of only knowing you by your handles here. It was also my first time ever setting up a card display and I had a great time. Already looking forward to next year!

Love the look of the E-card/T209 display...that is a beautiful by-the-color arrangement of those wonderfully colorful cards!

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-10-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:00 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Phil & Chad, thanks for noticing my display of WaJo cards. I showed as many of my scarcer ones by cramming as many as I could into the display by overlaying/underlaying them.

Phil, I didn't wear Jennings-back-run T-shirt this year, but I did have it draped over a chair back for folks to see.

So much amazing, Ppe-War eye candy in the room! Many thanks to Andrew & Ryan for again putting on this fun event.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:45 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Thank you to everyone who came to the event today. It really was a lot of fun. In addition to a room full of amazing cards and great people, we raised $475 for Wolf Trap Animal Rescue. I will make the donation this week, on behalf of all of us.

Here is a link to a video I posted which shows a lot of the card displays that were in the room. My apologies in advance for my terrible videography skills...

https://youtu.be/vxQPw3wfDg0?si=aLb5zI7s4tRzIZcy

Regards,

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew1975; 02-10-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:46 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Wow, what a display of material. Congrats to Ryan and Andrew for another successful meet up. Too bad I'm on the wrong Coast.

Matt - Good luck on that T205 Cobby. I'm hoping to land one myself in the near future.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:28 AM
James

Great gathering with many amazing items on the floor. Thank you Ryan and Andrew!
Old 02-11-2024, 06:59 AM
Steve

Yes, thank you so much to Andrew and Ryan for hosting a great day of cards. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with everyone, and I very much look forward to next year!

This was my first time ever putting my own cards in a display case to share, and just laying out a few dozen cards in two bulky display cases was a ton of work. It gave me an even greater appreciation for how hard of work it is for dealers to lug things to and from shows, especially all of the dealers who service set collectors by bringing massive boxes and binders of material.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:34 AM
Alan Elefson

I had a great time yesterday! There were amazing items to look at and great people to talk to. Thank you Ryan and Andrew for organizing this!

Alan
Old 02-11-2024, 07:43 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
Yes, thank you so much to Andrew and Ryan for hosting a great day of cards. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with everyone, and I very much look forward to next year!

This was my first time ever putting my own cards in a display case to share, and just laying out a few dozen cards in two bulky display cases was a ton of work. It gave me an even greater appreciation for how hard of work it is for dealers to lug things to and from shows, especially all of the dealers who service set collectors by bringing massive boxes and binders of material.

Your showcases told me that I have some work to do!

It was great meeting you. Thank you for displaying your incredible collection.

Hope to see you again soon
Old 02-11-2024, 08:34 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
I had a great time yesterday! There were amazing items to look at and great people to talk to. Thank you Ryan and Andrew for organizing this!

Alan

One of the coolest things in the room! What decade was this from again? 1860s? 1870s?
Old 02-11-2024, 08:41 AM
Scott M.

As others have stated, thank you to Andrew and Ryan for putting together such and enjoyable event. After having missed out on last years meetup, I was glad to be able to make it this time around.

It was great catching up with old hobby friends such as Mike Peich whom I haven't seen for years as well as put some faces to other Net54 folks that I've previously only known by their user ids.

Steve, thanks a bunch for letting me borrow some space in one of your cases so that I could display a few of my cards. Will have to get my own case or two next year and bring a little more of my collection down for display.

Scott
Old 02-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Thank you!

Andrew and Ryan for organizing and hosting this event! So much fun to see old friends, meet new ones and gawk at some absolutely astounding baseball card history!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:37 AM
Jay

To echo everyone, thanks Ryan and Andrew for organizing. This event is a ton of fun and really highlights the best of the hobby—great people, unreal cards, and folks just having a good time.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:48 AM

Ryan and Andrew--You did a fabulous job organizing this get-together and giving everyone the opportunity to see amazing and rare cards. It was eye-candy at the highest possible level! Andrew's video is outstanding as is the cause for which he advocated.

Your hospitality was immeasurable. When was the last card "show" anyone attended where there was food, and where the organizer came to every table and personally thanked everyone for attending? Not in my memory.

It was great to reconnect with really old friends like Scott Mosley and Ken Cohen, and to spend time with passionate collectors, and budding ephemera collectors (John--if you're reading this, send me your contact info.), as well put faces to names: Andy Cook, Jim Creamer, Howard Chasser to name just a few.

I have attended baseball meet-ups that have been great fun, but this was the single most enjoyable baseball card get-together where we could all view and enjoy one another's collections in a relaxed, congenial atmosphere. A rare opportunity.

To paraphrase Harry Kalas' assessment of Chase Utley: Ryan and Andrew, you are the Men!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-11-2024, 11:18 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Great event! Thank you Ryan and Andrew. Loved to see everyone’s collections and talk cards with folks. Looking forward to the next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 11:19 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Ryan and Andrew--You did a fabulous job organizing this get-together and giving everyone the opportunity to see amazing and rare cards. It was eye-candy at the highest possible level! Andrew's video is outstanding as is the cause for which he advocated.

Your hospitality was immeasurable. When was the last card "show" anyone attended where there was food, and where the organizer came to every table and personally thanked everyone for attending? Not in my memory.

It was great to reconnect with really old friends like Scott Mosley and Ken Cohen, and to spend time with passionate collectors, and budding ephemera collectors (John--if you're reading this, send me your contact info.), as well put faces to names: Andy Cook, Jim Creamer, Howard Chasser to name just a few.

I have attended baseball meet-ups that have been great fun, but this was the single most enjoyable baseball card get-together where we could all view and enjoy one another's collections in a relaxed, congenial atmosphere. A rare opportunity.

To paraphrase Harry Kalas' assessment of Chase Utley: Ryan and Andrew, you are the Men!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, I’ll shoot you a note via email today.

—John Purcell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 12:58 PM

Default Trade Show

Cannot thank Ryan & Andrew enough for hosting this event. Had a blast! What a pleasure seeing all of the great cards/collectibles, and simply stated, you cannot go wrong putting a group of truly passionate collectors in a room.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:04 PM
Phil Reich

Saw the video that Nuff posted of this event. Incredible cards. Wish we had something like this in southern CA. Most of the shows I've been to here are predominantly shiny ultramodern cards

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 02-11-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. We will do it again next year, but bigger. So make your plans now

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 02-11-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:59 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

WOW

From the pictures and feedback looks like a great time.
Sorry I missed it hopefully next year

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-11-2024, 06:01 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

It was a great day and event! Thank you so much Ryan and Andrew!
Old 02-11-2024, 06:45 PM
Hank Thomas

What a fun time! Thanks Ryan and Andrew, a great charity, too. And thanks to Steve H. and Val Kehl for setting up a nice post-show dinner, the capper to a lovely day.

Last edited by Leon; 02-12-2024 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:55 PM
Brian Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
Saw the video that Nuff posted of this event. Incredible cards. Wish we had something like this in southern CA. Most of the shows I've been to here are predominantly shiny ultramodern cards
+1 If anyone sets up something like this in So CA I’ll be there!
Old 02-11-2024, 07:36 PM
Alan Elefson

Thank you Don! The ball is from the 1860s most likely as the figure eight pattern became popular in the early 1870s. It was great to meet you yesterday.

Alan
Old 02-12-2024, 06:28 AM
Scott Russell

Great seeing the guys I normally only see at Chantilly, putting some names to faces, and meeting a couple regular customers in person for the first time!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-12-2024 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:59 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post

Cheers,
Mike
Ryan and Andrew,

I too much appreciate your efforts to hold this fun event. I think that Mike said it all and expressed my thoughts better than I could. Such an event, along with the stunning array of cards, affords the opportunity to see old hobby friends.

And yes, Mike, it was great reconnecting after such a long time as well as the pleasure of seeing Hank T. and two old friends from the North, Joe T. and Tony F.

Looking forward to next year for another meetup with old friends, and another massive overdose of vintage eye candy.

Best regards to all,

Ken

Last edited by kcohen; 02-12-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:01 AM

Default What fun!

Saturday was a blast to see old friends and to connect with new ones. The stuff in the room was simply mindboggling and I am so thankful to have had time with each of you to learn and talk shop. Can't wait till next time.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it. Looking forward to next year.

Could you post the link to the video here?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:09 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it. Looking forward to next year.

Could you post the link to the video here?

It’s a few posts above
Old 02-12-2024, 01:09 PM

Ah, I see it now, thanks Don!

Last edited by MVSNYC; 02-13-2024 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:22 PM

Well said, Michael. What a great event.

I'll add my thanks to Andrew and Ryan for organizing it and to Val and Steve for the dinner. It was an awesome time. Also, thanks to Howard C for helping me with my setup and to Hank T for signing his fantastic book for me.

A couple of my observations:

1. While folks certainly did some deals, I didn't witness or hear about any sales pressure, arguments over comps or any other "side eye" exchanges that often occur at shows. All the discussions I saw were the kinds you see between friends. Great atmosphere.

2. I learned a lot. Learned about back run details I didn't understand before. Learned about card variations I had never appreciated. Learned about some dealer and auction house policies. I even learned about at least two cards from sets I care about that I didn't know existed.

3. I got reminded. Reminded that there is an absolute truckload of passion and knowledge in this hobby and that the older collectors probably already know everything you think you've figured out. But they still will let you explain it before they add that one tidbit that shows they know a little bit more than you!

4. I spent most of the day set up next to a much younger collector with a very specific pre war focus centered on players from his city. Talking with him about his collection I couldn't help but receive a shot of enthusiasm about card collecting.

5. We held bats from the 1800s and early 1900s all day. I maintain that I could have hit Mathewson or Grover Cleveland Alexander armed with one of those beauties.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:21 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
5. We held bats from the 1800s and early 1900s all day. I maintain that I could have hit Mathewson or Grover Cleveland Alexander armed with one of those beauties.
But not WaJo, right Jim?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:41 PM

I wouldn't dare say it, Val. Not with Hank lurking about!
Old 02-12-2024, 08:09 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I wouldn't dare say it, Val. Not with Hank lurking about!
Against Walter we never would have gotten those enormous pieces of lumber off our shoulders!
Old 02-13-2024, 07:19 AM

Andrew, great video. (Hank, nice seeing you being interviewed.)

The event looked really awesome. Hope to make it next year.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 02-13-2024 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:09 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
It’s a few posts above
I don't see that post. What is the URL for the video?
Old 02-13-2024, 01:19 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I don't see that post. What is the URL for the video?
The link is in post #111 above.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:36 PM
Matt G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post
Thank you to everyone who came to the event today. It really was a lot of fun. In addition to a room full of amazing cards and great people, we raised $475 for Wolf Trap Animal Rescue. I will make the donation this week, on behalf of all of us.

Here is a link to a video I posted which shows a lot of the card displays that were in the room. My apologies in advance for my terrible videography skills...

https://youtu.be/vxQPw3wfDg0?si=aLb5zI7s4tRzIZcy

Regards,

Andrew
Amazing video. Encourage everyone to check it out… the interview of Hank was awesome!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36