NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default The recent rash of bad grade threads ......

Has got me thinking .... Do other hobby’s have this isssue with grades? The likes of currency/coins , comics and what ever else gets graded in the collectable world? I mean I don’t think I would have the same eye as I do for cards with coins or comics.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Barry Sloate

Yes. Coin collectors complain all the time about third party grading. Large cent collectors so disagree that they have their own grading system which overrules the grader. For example, a coin graded a 40 by the grading service may be deemed only a 25 by the large cent collector. They generally feel that the number doesn't reflect the actual grade, but represents what a coin is likely to sell for. Coins with visible wear often receive an uncirculated grade which drives collectors crazy. Obviously, all third party grading has a long way to go to get it right.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
T0m P00n

Buy the coin not the holder!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Yes. Coin collectors complain all the time about third party grading. Large cent collectors so disagree that they have their own grading system which overrules the grader. For example, a coin graded a 40 by the grading service may be deemed only a 25 by the large cent collector. They generally feel that the number doesn't reflect the actual grade, but represents what a coin is likely to sell for. Coins with visible wear often receive an uncirculated grade which drives collectors crazy. Obviously, all third party grading has a long way to go to get it right.
Thanks for the response. So if I were to try to translate this into the card Hobby.
Psa grades a card a pre war card a four but pre war collectors would say well it’s more like a 2.5? How do they determine this ratio.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Thanks for the response. So if I were to try to translate this into the card Hobby.
Psa grades a card a pre war card a four but pre war collectors would say well it’s more like a 2.5? How do they determine this ratio.

It's more about expectations and the specifics of the issue. I'm not totally up on large cents, but as with most coins there's a standard that most graders follow. And especially at the lower end, there's a lot of interpreting.

If a card is mostly ok, has typical corner wear, and a small crease, is it VG, or only G. I was always taught that a crease equaled G and no better. The grading companies sometimes give a creased card a VG grade.

With many coins, it's things like How many letters of the word Liberty are still showing on the headband, or something like that. It's different depending on the exact design, and probably differs a bit for years where the coins were usually not struck well leading to ones that lacked some detail when they were new.

One of the long time dealers wrote a column on how the standards had been allowed to slide over the years. Possibly to keep collectors and dealers happy with the grades they got. So a Grade of fine today might have been only VG 10 or more years ago.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Grading for stamps is still fairly new, and the companies are very fussy. If the stamp has flaws like a short perforation or a tiny corner crease they may not grade it at all. It's almost purely a measure of how well centered an otherwise perfect copy is.

The stamp places in my opinion are what we'd consider to be slow. I just got my first two back from expertizing after 2-3 months. Both came back as being what I thought they were, which is good. One was the first one authenticated. What was nice was that I had no idea how they'd value it for the purpose of the fee. They simply picked the catalog value of the normal stamp that was used. They caught the fake cancel, which I hadn't. The other one, I sent in thinking it was never hinged, and it came back hinged. About a $400 difference. And all for a tiny flaw in the gum that's hard to see. I'm ok with that, lately with the difference between NH and hinged being pretty large on older stamps they've taken the position that any flaw is considered hinged. Overly cautious, but not a bad way to go. The good news was that the fee became the minimum fee rather than the percentage of the never hinged value they would have charged.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
One of the long time dealers wrote a column on how the standards had been allowed to slide over the years. Possibly to keep collectors and dealers happy with the grades they got. So a Grade of fine today might have been only VG 10 or more years ago.
Interesting. From what I'm seeing, cards seem to be going the opposite direction. Lots of things are grading about one grade lower than they would have 20 years ago.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Anson

Yes, now people are judging the serial number and generation of the holder to determine how strong a card is. That is, unless they just judge the card on its own. Reholdering throws some off.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's more about expectations and the specifics of the issue. I'm not totally up on large cents, but as with most coins there's a standard that most graders follow. And especially at the lower end, there's a lot of interpreting.

If a card is mostly ok, has typical corner wear, and a small crease, is it VG, or only G. I was always taught that a crease equaled G and no better. The grading companies sometimes give a creased card a VG grade.

With many coins, it's things like How many letters of the word Liberty are still showing on the headband, or something like that. It's different depending on the exact design, and probably differs a bit for years where the coins were usually not struck well leading to ones that lacked some detail when they were new.

I like this thanks . I mention this a while back but I don’t think all cards should be graded under the same standards. There are conditions sensitive sets. Sets made on stock the are very thin. Some sets that the color fades easily. But all that taken into account. Maybe it makes sense to grade them the same and just know what’s see have these issues. But maybe a condition sensitive qualifier makes sense.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Yes, now people are judging the serial number and generation of the holder to determine how strong a card is. That is, unless they just judge the card on its own. Reholdering throws some off.
Remember folks, buy the serial number, not the card. Keep the serial number and send the card to me.

Brian
Old 09-25-2018, 04:16 AM
Barry Sloate

It seems to me that old timers who started collecting before the advent of third party grading are less likely to accept it, while newer collectors who see pretty much all cards, coins, etc. in slabs assume that it is the only way to go. There are exceptions, but it's kind of an old school/new school battle.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:50 AM

Hi folks- The comic book industry faces this same issue all the time. CGC, the primary 3rd party grader for comics, is notorious for head scratching grades that do not reflect the accurate evaluation of the book. The problem is that many of their graders are half the age of the true experts who either own nice collections, or have been grading for decades and own brick and mortar stores. (Think PSA for cards. They get the highest hammer prices at auction yet are hopelessly, hilariously inconsistent with grading). Many comic buyers actually prefer a loose book they can sift through, a vast difference with cards.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Many comic buyers actually prefer a loose book they can sift through, a vast difference with cards.
Well, you can enjoy a card the same if it were in a PSA holder or if raw. A comic on the other hand, no.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 AM

Coins, especially copper large cent and small cents are judged by the 3rd parties based solely on their degree of wear in most instances, unless they have been cleaned which will result in a different holder or label. The advanced collectors also judge them on surfaces as well, be it nice chocolate brown, dark, corroded(scudzy), have scratches or other man made marks, so in effect they net grade the coin from it's degree of wear to reflect it's other flaws. An XF coin maybe net graded to VF 20, or a Fine, net graded to VG8, due to various maladies.

This does not happen so much in silver/gold issues as they don't tend to have some of these issues with the base metal.

To equate it to cards would be the typical qualifiers MC or OC or ST where a card appears Exmt or Nrmt etc but has one of the problems noted and the result is a card with a value of approximately 2 grade levels lower.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Barry Sloate

As Scott noted, copper coins have problems that silver and gold coins do not. A copper coin with porosity, for example, may get a third party grade of "Very Fine Details", which excludes any number designation. A veteran copper collector may instead grade it "Very Fine 20 net Fine 12", deducting 8 points for the corroded surfaces. It does make things confusing having two separate grading systems.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I like this thanks . I mention this a while back but I don’t think all cards should be graded under the same standards. There are conditions sensitive sets. Sets made on stock the are very thin. Some sets that the color fades easily. But all that taken into account. Maybe it makes sense to grade them the same and just know what’s see have these issues. But maybe a condition sensitive qualifier makes sense.

That's sort of handled by pop reports, and to me should be. A quick check will tell you that some stuff just isn't out there in top condition. Grading it on a curve of sorts leaves no room for the outliers like the Black Swamp cards. It would also cause confusion in the expectation of what you get for a certain grade.

On the other hand, at least one company allows a bit of leeway for traits that are just part of the card as issued. Like how tobacco stains on Polar Bear T206s aren't considered to be as bad as a similar stain on other brands.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Adam B

Comics are similar. CGC is very consistent for the most part but if you look hard enough you will find an outlier here and there.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Have to disagree with this. You can't smell the old cardboard through the plastic. It is also impossible to handle and touch the actual card when it is in a slab. When starting to collect a new set, some collectors purposely buy ungraded cards to get familiar with them. I am not anti-grading. I have graded and ungraded cards in my collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Well, you can enjoy a card the same if it were in a PSA holder or if raw. A comic on the other hand, no.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-25-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Have to disagree with this. You can't smell the old cardboard through the plastic. It is also impossible to handle and touch the actual card when it is in a slab. When starting to collect a new set, some collectors purposely buy ungraded cards to get familiar with them. I am not anti-grading. I have graded and ungraded cards in my collection.
Agree with Robert here. It's important to get to know the cards when you first get into them. You lose some of that once they are slabbed. I also have graded and raw cards in my collection.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very much agree with this statement. I purposely handle raw cards (especially scarce ones) more than I used to just because I want to know them better. There is no substitute for handling raw cards for experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Agree with Robert here. It's important to get to know the cards when you first get into them. You lose some of that once they are slabbed. I also have graded and raw cards in my collection.

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.