NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1962 Post Cereal

I started collecting most football sets during the 2012 National Convention in Baltimore. But I've been chasing the '62 Post set for almost ten years now, and still need six cards to complete my set. All needed cards are SPs, including the tough #93 Dave Baker. The Standard Catalog says "Players who were pictured on the less popular cereals are scarcer and more valuable, explaining the higher prices on about two dozen of the cards". If you don't know by now, I collect cards in ANY condition, and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites:

"Pinking Shears" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490000.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

"Nine Year Old with Scissors" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490001.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

One last scan #74 Sam Baker one of the toughest cards in the set, and I think the most expensive? I picked up this card at last years National Convention in Chicago, the last card I've added to my set!
 photo ScannedImage141490002.jpg
Thoughts on this set anyone?

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 05-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Jeff

Default Beautiful Set

One of my favorite FB sets.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Precious memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
One last scan #74 Sam Baker one of the toughest cards in the set, and I think the most expensive? I picked up this card at last years National Convention in Chicago, the last card I've added to my set!
 photo ScannedImage141490002.jpg
Thoughts on this set anyone?
Larry,
Thanks for sharing your passion for the 1962 Post Cereal football set. I, too, love the set, though I completed mine 52 years ago.
We lived in a rural area outside Pensacola, Fla., and my Mom would drive to the Navy commissary every 2 weeks, then stop at a couple of civilian grocery stores on the way home to take advantage of whatever was on sale. I'd head straight to the cereal aisle looking for boxes that had players I needed. We ate a lot of cereal in those days -- my Dad liked to snack on cereal and, fortunately for me, would eat any flavor we brought home -- but it was still a challenge to find cards I needed as the promotion wore on. I can still see those cereal boxes with the product bulging out the back after I cut the cards off right away to keep them from getting creased or stained. We did the same drill with the baseball sets, but the football set was special because it included so many players not featured in the gum sets of the day.
Thanks for reviving some pleasant memories that remind me how much of my collection I owe to my mother's patience (she also stopped at convenience stores on the way home so I could check for the latest series of gum cards).
B.ob Ric.hard$on
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Cards needed?

What #'s do you need? I might have a couple of them! I even have a few cut with pinking sheers. Sam Majors
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Jeff P

It's a GREAT set. Here's a scan of one of the pages in my binder. Who do you need? I have some doubles as well.

jeff
Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

1962 Post Football need: 028 059 093 117 136 139
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM

This is one set I also collect. I'm 37 cards short right now, but I have a question for anyone who might be intimately familiar with these.

Are there any known fakes or illegal reprints of these? Reason I ask is about 20 years ago I bought a really nice Johnny Unitas at a show in California. It is on pretty thin card stock compared to all of my other cards. Is there a variance in thicknesses on these? Or did I (hopefully not) get taken?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Ty T.

At one time back in the 80's, I had a reprint of the Jim Brown Post cereal card, so I know that some reprints were made. It did have "REPRINT" printed on it where the Post logo should have been. Not sure about your Unitas. All of my Post cards have the same thickness, but I haven't seen the quantity of examples that others on this board have seen. And, by the way, welcome to the board!

Last edited by oddball; 06-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Hey thanks. BTW, love your avatar. Kelly's Heroes is one of my all time favorite movies.

I'll try and post my Unitas tonight for some opinions. Hopefully no "negative vibes, man!"
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
At one time back in the 80's, I had a reprint of the Jim Brown Post cereal card, so I know that some reprints were made. It did have "REPRINT" printed on it where the Post logo should have been. Not sure about your Unitas. All of my Post cards have the same thickness, but I haven't seen the quantity of examples that others on this board have seen. And, by the way, welcome to the board!
I have the complete set plus some doubles and they are all the same thickness. All were hand cut from cereal boxes.

jeff
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I have the complete set plus some doubles and they are all the same thickness. All were hand cut from cereal boxes.

That's worrisome to me. This card is the only one I have that is noticeably thinner. Opinions?
Not the best scan in the world.
jeff
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Ty T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
Oh, wow. This is a tough one. To me, the everything on the front seems spot on, unless I'm missing something. So I can see where the difference in thickness would be your concern. I'm going to "have a little faith baby" and hope for you that it was just a box manufacturing mishap, but if anybody has come across any counterfeits of these cards or can provide any more insight, please chime in. If you have a magnifier, compare the printing layout of your Unitas to the others that you have.

Last edited by oddball; 06-21-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM

I've checked it out using a 16x jewelers loupe and the dot pattern looks similar to the others I have. I can also look at it on edge, next to any other card, and it seems to be a little over half the thickness of the others.

I had a chance 2 weeks ago, at a local card show, to examine an uncut panel with Unitas on it, but didn't even think about it then. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Did a little un-scientific investigating. Right now, I'm wishing I had a paper thickness gauge, but I don't. However, I do have a cheap digital caliper, so I thought I'd give it a try. Measuring the Unitas and another random card (Bill Pellington was handy) in several places around the card, the Unitas averaged .34mm (about .013") and the Pellington averaged .46mm (about .018"). that seems like a significant difference to me, but maybe I'm just being hypercritical and trying to find an excuse to buy another Unitas.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM

That's awesome news and great information, thanks!

I do have other questions about the set. Since I've been looking on ebay at other Unitas cards for comparison, I started to look at the cards in the set in general and have started to see "differences" in printing (variations?) on most cards.
Here is an example (scans borrowed)

@ cards of Ed Khayat, from the Eagles. At first glance they are just the same card, until you start to study and compare the pictures. The card on top has the photo section "shifted" slightly upward leaving a smaller gap between the tower in the background and the upper border of the photo, compared to the card on the bottom. There is more grass showing between his shoes and the bottom border of the picture as well. But the ting that intrigues me the most is the 2 white flagpoles you can see in the bottom card, on the building behind the player (I'm assuming this may be part of Municipal Stadium?) have been removed from the top card. I see this same phenomenon on a majority of the Eagles cards as well.

Do you know if there were multuiple printings of these? Maybe using different plates/screens? maybe printed in 2 different locations?

I've seen subtle differences like these in a majority of the cards I look at from this set.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 PM

That is so cool! And yes, I'm a variation junkie. Probably as a bi-product of my other hobby (stamp collecting), so I guess I just opened up a big ol' can of worms for myself. I think it's also a certain amount of OCD for me to to be "complete" with things, such as jigsaw puzzles (another pastime for me).

I have noticed that some cards are over saturated with blues, and some cards have a more natural coloring. I thought maybe it was poor Quality control, but the box color makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the great information!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Ty T.

That's why I love this board! Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge and insight on the Post set Kirk! ...and I'm happy for you Richard that your Unitas is legit like we thought.

Last edited by oddball; 06-24-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

X

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
My pleasure Richard.
If you're really serious about possibly trying to tackle all the 62 Post Football Variations I have a 28 Page Check List that gives detailed descriptions of each card example that I'd be happy to send you.
Just drop me a note with your address and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

robinson209@comcast.net

Good Luck With Your Collecting!!
Kirk
That's very kind of you. Thanks!
It was actually going to be my next inquiry if such a reference existed.

Message sent. Actually, I PM'd you as well, before I sent the email.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM

I do have another question.

I've recently been taking notice of uncut panels being offered here and there and see that, at least for the ones I've looked at, there is a white space, or "gutter", around the cards which made it possible to cut them nicely and leave a full black line framing the card.

This sad Bill Kilmer card has blue on the outside of the black line on 3 sides. It's the only one I have that doesn't have white. I also notice it is thinner, like the Unitas. Another tray card?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

X

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for all the great info Kirk. The 2010 Standard Catalog makes no reference to any of this stuff So I have just spent the last half hour thumbing through my cards and found this one. #37 Sonny Jurgensen (on thin stock). Now I know it was cut from a 1oz. Alpha-bits single serving box. Great stuff Kirk!
 photo ScannedImage141760000.jpg
Larry
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I don't have an instrument to measure the thickness of the card. But going through my near set, I found a few that seem a little thin:
#44 Chuck Weber
#103 Bob St. Clair
#186 Frank Youso
#193 Joe Krakoski

Also this one that feels thin for sure, and has the "gutter" that Footballdude mentions. So I would guess that this Bobby Layne card #126 was cut from the "Post-Ten Bottom Tray"?
 photo ScannedImage141760001.jpg
Larry
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

X

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

X

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Jeff P

It's always fun to see the stunned silence when Kirk, the king of 60's memorabilia, opens up the kimono.

Stunning pictures as usual, Kirk! Your knowledge about Post Cereal football could fill a book. Great insights. But now I'm going to have to go back through my set and take an even closer look at these cards.

jeff
Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Here's an image from the Fall Of 1962 that was taken from a Commercial On T.V Touting The Issue.
Interesting as the cards on the back of the box were never issued in that configeration and the Advertisement
on the front of the box which featured Jon Arnett who was a star in those days, was never used either.

Interesting. Possibly pre-production samples of some sort? Would be pretty cool to find something like that in the Post vault.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:

Very cool booklet! Was this an insert in boxes of cereal that the cards were on?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM

I don't have anything to add; I just wanted to thank you guys for a fascinating thread. I had no idea about all of the variations, but it's no surprise at all that Kirk is the expert. Like Jeff, I think I'll dig out my set and look at them more closely.

Post had CFL issues in 1962 and 1963, also. I've sometimes wondered why they did a CFL set in 1963, but not an NFL set.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
This Booklet was part of a Promotional Point Of Purchase Display Package
sent to retail grocery stores.
If you look at the right hand side of the opened book, you can see a line drawing of the in store set display set up.
I have some pictures some where of what one actually looked like.
I'll try and hunt around a little and if I run across them, I'll post them up here for you guys to check out.
Thanks for the info on the booklet. Yet another interesting part of this set I'd like to find for myself.
In regard to the different variations, and me being primarily a Dallas Cowboys vintage collector, I noticed a variation in the Glynn Gregory photo. There is a version of that card that shows more of the antenna tower on the right. Never thought much about it, and never knew there were a ton of other variations in the set. Thanks again for your insight!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Ty T.

Great stuff Kirk! Thanks for posting. By the way, it looks like that '60 Unitas is still on the box! That's a tough one in itself, much less being the complete box.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Mike Dugan

Kirk all I can say is WOW!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 AM

I'd like to second the WOW!

I was trying to see all those pictures on my tiny android screen at work and it just doesn't do them justice. They are even more impressive on my larger monitor here at home.

Are the Brown, Hornung, and Taylor photo's the originals for the cards?

An observance:
In your black & white photo of the TV commercial, I notice that it appears that Jon Arnett, Paul Hornung, Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff cards are all pictured on that box. Were they all Post Spokespersons? I ask because those 4 are also who is pictured on the 4 Post booklets in this set.

And as usual, the BIG Beckett football book don't say much about these booklets. Were they inserted in the cereal boxes or were they a send in offer or something?
I had all 4 but in a moment of weakness, I ebayed 3 of them and kept Arnett for my RAMS oddball collection.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Jeff P

Love that Unitas portrait! Here's the Gifford.

jeff
Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Am I wrong or is there just something satisfying about seeing stacks of nicely cut, ungraded, Post football cards.

It's one of my dreams to go to an estate sale and find a box full of meticulously cut Post cards..........and be the only one there with an interest in them. In this rural area, I could totally see it.

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful images.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I started collecting most football sets during the 2012 National Convention in Baltimore. But I've been chasing the '62 Post set for almost ten years now, and still need six cards to complete my set. All needed cards are SPs, including the tough #93 Dave Baker. The Standard Catalog says "Players who were pictured on the less popular cereals are scarcer and more valuable, explaining the higher prices on about two dozen of the cards". If you don't know by now, I collect cards in ANY condition, and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites:

"Pinking Shears" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490000.jpg
I believe they call that a "deckle edge"